The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (San Nicolas), 314 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I have just completed reading Dancing Alone: The Quest for Orthodox Faith in the Age of False Religion. I thought this was an incredible expose of the real beliefs the founding fathers of America had. If Mr. Schaeffer's research is accurate, and I have no reason to doubt so, then a lot of the history I was taught that America was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs is not entirely true. Mr. Schaeffer writes that most were Deists, combining French enlightenment philsophies with the emphasis of human reason promoted by Rousseau. I was wondering if anyone else has read this and am curious of your thoughts, comments, and reactions.

Have a blessed day,

V

I haven't read the book in question, but it is true that Jefferson et al. were Deists and Freemasons.

J
J
I thought this was generally pretty well known. American religiosity is pretty much a 19th century phenomenon.

OP Offline
Jim,

It is pretty well known, but since I am a revert to the faith, I had all the training and education from Evangelicals who teach an entire different American History. They even have a video series out supporting their "version." And when I was growing up in public school, I was also taught that they founded the country on Judeo-Christian values. I guess I am a late bloomer to the truth.

V

J
J
V

I had all the training and education from Evangelicals That pretty much says it all. I think they are still pretty much telling their own version of the story. Thanks for the post.

Jim

S
S
Actually, almost everything Schaeffer wrote about the founders was wrong, but then, so much of his book is nothing less than apologia pro vita sua for his abandonment of evangelicalism. An angry young man, Little Frankie was, and an angry older man he became over the years, one who eventually found that Orthodoxy was not quite the perfect Church he thought it to be. My understanding is he no longer considers himself to be Orthodox.

OP Offline
I still believe he considers himself to be Orthodox, but he is not the staunch Republican conservative he was in the past. This may be the reason why it is thought that he may not be Orthodox anymore.

I did not mention the book meaning to encourge anyone to assess Dr. Schaeffer. I thought he did a wonderful job of showing how the Reformation philosophies have opened the door for everyone to be their own eccliastical authority and interpreter of life and the Bible.

I do appreciate all of your responses.

V

F
F
Have not yet read Frank Schaeffer's book. Can someone tells me if he takes the "Great Awakening" into account?

Fr. Serge

S
S
I did not mention the book meaning to encourge anyone to assess Dr. Schaeffer.

Little Frankie is not a doctor. You are mistaking him for his illustrious father, the Evangelical preacher Dr. Francis Schaeffer.

I thought he did a wonderful job of showing how the Reformation philosophies have opened the door for everyone to be their own eccliastical authority and interpreter of life and the Bible.

Alas, that Frankie refuses to follow his own advice.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.