The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
ZAROVE Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Bible Reading Plan: Need Help.

OK. I have decided on a Three Year Comprehensive Bible reading and study plan. Well, decided to do it and what it ought to be, anyway.

It will begin in 2011, and I intend to do this in this fashion. I want to read the Narrative aspects of the Bible in Chronological Fashion. This is easy enough, as you Start with Genesis, and move through all the Historical books such as Joshua, Judges, Ruth, the Books of the Kings, ect... but hen I hot some snags. What about the Prophets? Where do I place those?

I would also like to read the Prophets in context of the Stories set in the time they lived ( If applicable), so naturally I'll be reading Jeremiah at the same time I am reading about the last Kings of Judah before the Babylonian Captivity, but would like help in placing specific sections, especially Isaiah. In what order should this be written, and hat sections of Isaiah should correspond with what Chapter of which book?

Also, when do I insert the Wisdom Literature? Job is part of the Wisdom Literature but I decided to treat it as a Story as that’s how its written, so some time in the middle of Genesis. But what of Ecclesiastes? Or do I just keep all the Wisdom Literature Separate? I'd like to include it, even though both Psalms and Proverbs will already be read. In fact, I am reading the Coverdale Psalms over a 30 day period using the Book of Common Prayer. (Anglican, and they are the Coverdale Psalms, come sin handy in the BOCP format though), and will read them every Month that has but 30 Days, on Months with 31 Days I will read one Chapter of the Proverbs. (Yes I know that leaves February. I add two days to February and just read the Psalms starting at January 31st and ending on March first where I begin new the Cycle.)

But I'd like to also read them in the Chronological Plan.

Suggestions as to when to insert them would be nice.

Also, there is he New Testament. Naturally the Gospels will come first then Acts, but the Four Gospels tell largely of the same time period, so how do you suggest I arrange this? I have the same problem with Chronicles and the last Two Books of the Kings. DO I read them concurrently? Or one after the other?

Likewise, what order are the Epistles recommended to be read in, given I want to read those, as letters and thus addressing immediate concerns, in the Order they were written. I realise this isn't always easy to determine, but I will pick a system an stick to it.

Thanks for any help. And sorry.

Last edited by ZAROVE; 11/19/10 09:49 PM. Reason: Spelling mainly.
ZAROVE:

Christ is in our midst!!

My parish had a chart that allowed us to read the Bible in one year with a couple passages each day from each of the different areas, both Old and New Testaments.

Let me look around and see if I can find it.

Bob

ZAROVE:

Christ is in our midst!!

One Year® Bible Reading Plan Right click to download Each day contains a passage from the Old Testament, the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs. Simply select the month and translation of your choice, then click on the date to link to the passages for the day.

http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/index.html

The One Year Bible daily reading plan consist of passages from the Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs. This arrangement of Scripture brings variety and a fresh approach to each day's 15-minute reading, while providing a clear understanding of the Bible's larger message. No other "through the bible" plan presents the entire bible in such a user-friendly format. Simply select the month and date to link to the passages for the day.

Couldn't put my fingers on my outline, but this is the source. Gives you a couple different passages to keep things from becoming boring and gets you through the whole text in one year.

Bob

Last edited by theophan; 11/20/10 01:00 AM.
Z
ZAROVE Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Thanks for the help but, I didn't want just a 15 minuet a day readign plan that covers each book, I want to ut them all into perspective by readign the text in Chronological Order, so want to set all fo the events in the Biel in the order they either occured, or woudl have if liteal (Not sure if Job was a real event).

While I don't expect to know for sure the exact orer, I'd like a oeworkable oen that fits all event son a standard timeline. I'll also read the Prophets and New testament Epistles in the order they were written, and for the Prophets when reading the events that occured hwilst writting them.

Naturlaly I will start with Genesis and end in Revelation, but I want ot rearrange the Bible (In a lst not literally) to reflect the Chronology.

Also, this is a Three year as opposed to one year olan because I intend to study the events, text, and hisotyr at the same time and perhaps add Church Fathers to the mix to see what they had to say of the passage.

Scott Hahn also features Bible studies at the beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels on his web page:
http://www.salvationhistory.com/

ZAROVE:

Christ is in ur midst!!

If you google Bible reading plan, Catholic Bible Reading plan, Bible in a year, etc., you will move from place to place and find many suggestions for outlines. If you search enough, you may find what kind of plan works for your goals.
Happy hunting.

Bob

If you have, or have access to (at a library or church) "The Orthodox Study Bible" (New Testament and Psalms) on page 838 they list the "Harmony of the Gospels" which list readings in chronological order.
This is only for the four Gospels; the epistles and psalms are not included.

You are wise not to try to read the entire Bible in one year; it doesn't give nearly enough time for meditation. Your three year plan sounds reasonable, but Bob's suggestion to mix Old and new Testament is a good one. Some of Old Testament books can become very dry after awhile.

novice O.Carm.
novice O.Carm.
There is this work, the Chronological Study Bible. They have done all the work for you but it is a protestant Bible so it is missing books. It has a one year and a two year reading plan in it.

You can find it here at Amazon.com [amazon.com]

Br David, O.Carm.

K
K
oneyearbiblelineonline.com mentioned earlier has the reading plan described above as well as the chronological reading plan. it can be downloaded at
http://oneyearbibleonline.com/readingplan.asp

novice O.Carm.
novice O.Carm.
Originally Posted by Koozzz
oneyearbiblelineonline.com mentioned earlier has the reading plan described above as well as the chronological reading plan. it can be downloaded at
http://oneyearbibleonline.com/readingplan.asp

These only contain the books of the protestant bible, not all the books of the Bible.

What I like about the Chronological Study Bible I linked (other than it being a NKJV and not having all the books) is that it is laid out in the reading order and it has historical commentary for each section of the readings.

Z
ZAROVE Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I have this almost wrapped up, but one last question.

Where do the Books of Judith and Tobit fit CHronologically? I realise Tobuit is an allegory, but I need ot know both when it was written,and when the story was set overall. The same with Judith.

Did you try the introductory notes in the NAB version? It seems to answer many of those sort of questions.

Bob

S
S
Originally Posted by ZAROVE
I have this almost wrapped up, but one last question.

Where do the Books of Judith and Tobit fit CHronologically? I realise Tobuit is an allegory, but I need ot know both when it was written,and when the story was set overall. The same with Judith.

Judith opens with the declaration that the story happens during the 12th year of king Nebuchadnezzar. Most historians place his rule beginning in 604 BC.

As far as composition goes, this is highly debatable. Everyone would place it post exile from Babylon and many place it as late as the 160's during the Macabbean period.

Tobit takes place the reign of king Shalmaneser of Assyia which is from 727 to 722 BC.

Composition of Tobit is generally placed to 225 - 175 BC.

Steve Puluka
MA, Theology Duquesne University
Cantor Holy Ghost Church
Carpatho-Rusyn tradition
Mckees Rocks, PA
http://puluka.com

Z
ZAROVE Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Thanks Steve!

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.