The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
Maybe the the skufia is just the camauro without the fur trim? wink

Anyway, whether it looks like Santa Clause or not, the media apparently thinks it's funny.

I had expected them to mock tradition, though. What else is new?

Logos Teen

R
Bill from Pgh
Bill from Pgh
R
Dear Teen,

All joking aside, I am happy to see His Holiness Benedict XVI using any and all means to keep the Church in step with it's traditions and Tradition.

Let's remember it's the man under the clothes that counts. Viva il Papa!

Bill

C
C
Skufias can have fur trim; it is common among Old Rite clergy, and you'll even find such "winter" skufias among New Rite clergy.

So, if it looks like a skufia, and fits like a skufia... smile

Dave

C
C
Here's a photo of an Old Rite skufia with fur trim:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/130/8215/640/patr.jpg

And various photos with Old Rite skufias with what *may* be fur trim, or possibly velvet or another fabric trim:

http://www.rpsc.ru/version/andrian_480x640.jpg

http://www.rpsc.ru/version/andrian_02_480x640.jpg

http://www.sedmitza.ru/imagebase/5842.jpg

Regardless of the skufia trim, they're still cool photos. wink

Dave

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
What's a skufia and who is the Elder? smile

I
I
Dear Dr. Eric,
The Elder in the pictures is His Eminence Metropolitan Andrian of Moscow and All Rus, Chief Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Old-Ritualist Church; a skufia is the hat which Metropolitan Andrian is wearing in the pictures.

Metropolitan Andrian fell asleep in the Lord during the summer; his successor, elected and enthroned in October, is Metropolitan Cornelius.

Incognitus

I'm just amazed that you guys know all this stuff!

Byzcath forever impresses me with the depth of knowledge of its participants...down to the minutest skufia!

Gotta like the retro-papal look, though. I was thinking of breaking out my black Italian formal leisure suits and winklepicker shoes just to celebrate!

The late 50's/early 60's is one of my favorite time periods - socially and theologically. It was a time of faithful creativity - and ressourcement! And yes - even the fashions were cool.

BTW, has anyone seen this picture before?

http://www.signumcrucis.net/images/Italy/johnxxiii.jpg

It is the incorrupt remains of Blessed John XXIII. My wife and I visited his relics on pilgrimage a few years ago. Just thought that I would share.

Gordo

Blessed John XXIII, ora pro nobis!

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
I guess the Pope really doesn't have to look to hard to be reminded of his predecessors, they're still there to remind him of his responsibilities.

L
OP Offline
L
Gordo,

Cool picture of the incorruptible Blessed John XXIII.

As you can see, he was buried in his camauro and ermine-lined mozzetta.

Benedict's camauro seems to have a lot of fur trimming; much more than John XXIII or some popes in the pictures, but judging from pictures of St. Pius X, he had a lot too.

They actually reported it on the Today Show, but before explaining what it actually was and when it was last used, the ever-so-lovely Katie Couric said, "It's good to see he has a sense of humour!" :rolleyes: smile

Logos Teen

Administrator
Administrator
Dear Logos Teen,

I thought this would be of some interest to you in this thread.

Papal fashions [cwnews.com]

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
The Popes were probably the last to wear the fur lined headdress wich was worn by many males in the past. I notice the Abbot of Monte Cassino is shown in photos taken shortly before the destruction of his monastery wearing a black camouro. I also thought that the Pope showed his sense of humour by wearing the camouro when he did just before Christmas. Personally I continue to be impressed with his Pallium and the way he wears it.

L
OP Offline
L
Pavel,

The Holy Father has not discontinued his use of the camauro. He wore it during his Wednesday audience on December 28th, i.e. post-Christmas.

Looks like it's here to stay!

Logos Teen

With Roman weather what it is, HH is very wise.

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Looking at it and thinking about it, that hat the pope has been wearing really isn't too much different than many of the winter hats we wear here in the winter, ski hats and such.Different material, same idea.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.