The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
O
Sadly that's only for M$S users - us Macs can't use that frown

M
M
I use The Sword Project, open source. For me it is enough.

For the Mac people, do you know of http://www.macsword.com/ ?

Christ is Risen!

m+

Marian #297937 08/22/08 04:18 PM
Thank you, Marian, for the reference to E-Sword.

I downloaded it and will try it out.

Mnojaja L'ita
Fr. Deacon Paul

Paul B #302801 10/28/08 06:19 AM
S
S
For what it is worth, I use Bible Explorer from WORDsearch.

Bible Explorer [bible-explorer.com] (standard disclaimers)

There is a free download version and a selection of free download Bible versions and other goodies. The product is geared to Protestant interests, but the King James version Apocrypha is among the free stuff. The software has a built in word processor and most of the features one may expect. Language tools are quite limited. There are four free Greek New Testament editions, but otherwise, things are limited to Strong's Numbers.

τω συστρατιωτη

Last edited by Father Anthony; 10/28/08 12:48 PM. Reason: fix URL to include program title. [ ] should be used only for command functions
Now a good project for Orthodox and Catholics to work on together would be a CD Bible with historical and patristic quotations, the best maps available and etc etc.
We can do it, we should do it, so why dont we do it!
Stephanos I
And let's use the Septuagint as the Standard Text, complete with the Orthodox Canon.

Last edited by Stephanos I; 01/20/09 11:37 PM.
Father bless!

I'm with you... a CD Bible would be great. This would look good on my resume upon graduation. I'm a Software Development major.

Collin
go for it! Now just talk both parties into sponsering your work.
Make it excellent and so far superior that even the non catholic orthodox will hail its singular value. You might become rich from the project and you would do the Church a great service.
Remember, the Septuagint (an RSV kind of based translation for liguistic purposes) top quality maps, history of the Bible and the setting of the Canon of the Bible, a great concordance and search engine. Also include the Hebrew and Greek and Latin Text (Vulgate) and the Vetus Latina texts. Voila!

If anyone can suggest other helpful additions to this project please comment.

Stephanos I

S
S
Originally Posted by Stephanos I
"Make it excellent and so far superior that even the non catholic orthodox will hail its singular value."
And even some non-catholic, non-orthodox, (often-called heretics like me) would be very interested in such an application - especially if it facilitates study of the Greek Seventy and other early Christian texts.

If the turn key approach is too difficult, Rick Meyers' shareware "e-sword" application (http://www.e-sword.net/) uses an open architecture MS Access format that is very expandable. Quite a number of specialty "add-on" modules have already been compiled to run on that engine.

συζυγος τω συστρατιωτης

Marian #328707 07/29/09 03:54 AM
But it is well worth the sacrifice.
I have found it immensely valuable in comparing text and studying the LXX and Hebrew and Greek texts. Has the Byzantine Majority text and most languages too.
Stephanos I

Is this the newest version? Or is Bibleworks& newer.
Stephanos I

M
M
Another free program that is adding more and more modules and is a nice program to work with is 'the word' at www.theword.gr ,
There are many, many modules being developed for it at 3rd party developers, some of whom are linked from their site.

Recently doing some reading on the Septuagint text. Very interesting. Jerome mentions 3 pre massoretic text that he had before him when translating into Vulgate.
Does anyone know anything more about these three versions.
Stephanos I

S
S
I don't know what Jerome had before him. I doubt anyone can know for sure. Jerome traveled to Palestine where he learned Hebrew from Rabinical sources from whom it has been said he also gained a mis-trust of the Greek Seventy. Perhaps Jerome gained posession of his three Hebrew manuscript editions there.

I do know among the Dead Sea Scrolls were found THREE different families (traditions) of Biblical manuscripts:

One being the Proto-Masoretic which is similar to, but not exactly the same as the 10th century Masoretic Text used by translators today. It seems this manuscript type must have been favored by the Pharisees which gave rise to the Talmudic Rabbis and the Masoretic scribes as well.

Another Biblical manuscript family consists of several fragments that closely follow readings found in the Greek Seventy. Scholars have long theorized that such a Hebrew version must have existed in antiquity from which the Seventy was translated. Now we have substance supporting that theory.

The third Biblical manuscript tradition was not known until scholars began digesting the bulk of the scroll material. This type is now called the "Palestinian" and represents readings that diverge from both the Proto-Masoretic and the Septuagint-like Hebrew manuscripts. As far as I know, the portions from this third manuscript type have never been translated into English.

Perhaps Jerome had samples from these three archaic manuscript families.

Taken together, the scroll evidence supports the view that the text of the Hebrew Bible was in disarray during the first century when the Church was founded. Thus it comes clear why the Holy Spirit gave the Lord's Church the Greek Seventy as her Old Testament in the first place.

Further, since the Greek Seventy directly supplied the Hebrew theological vocabulary already translated into Greek for use by the Apostle's who wrote the New Testament; the Seventy coupled with the New Testament gives the Church a unified scripture in one unified language.

Just a few thoughts,

μιχαηλ της συστρατιωτης

Last edited by Systratiotes; 12/27/10 03:54 PM.
S
S
Incidentally, for those using the Logos Bible Software (R) system, Logos has released the only complete digital edition of the Göttingen Septuagint available (all 67 volumes).

http://www.logos.com/product/4951/gottingen-septuagint

Standard disclaimers apply.

This is the new critical academic standard LXX with the most complete collation ever published for the Seventy. The physical books are quite expensive and the only place one is likely to find them is in a good library.

μιχαηλ της συστρατιωτης

If you are familiar with the Logos program perhaps you could help me. I purchased a lot of their software many years ago and have since changed computers. Tried to download them again but was unable. How can I contact them and get them unlocked?
Thanking you in advance.
Stephanos I
PS I was musing if the three translations might have been the Aquila, Theodotion and Symmachus recensions?

Last edited by Stephanos I; 12/27/10 08:26 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.