The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Z
ZAROVE Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Peter- They are but, then agauin, once upon a Tiem they were its COnstitutional RUlers.

To the test who think I am insane, keep in mind that in the 18uth Cneutry before the Revolutions, proposing Republicanism was seen as Insane.

I am a Monarhcist simply because I e it as mroe Natural, and mro ein line wiht both Human Nature and the Laws of God.

Ill explain in more etial later, but it is odd hwo Im seen as in need of medication because of soemthign the CHruch Fathers themslves endorsed.

Did God ever establish a Republic?

S
S
Did God ever establish a Republic?

The Church is sometimes called a res publica (republic), meaning literally, "a commonwealth".

Z
ZAROVE Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Stuart- is Christ our King? or our President? Would it be blasphemy to say we have issues with Jesus and he should stand for election to see who we, the people choose?

Last edited by ZAROVE; 04/25/11 02:08 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Christ is our King! But His Perfect Kingdom of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is not of this world, so comparing him to an earthly King or President, IMHO, is waste of time. All forms of government fail in comparison and are run by sinful men/women.

We can idealize all we want but only Christ and His Kingdom will fulfill us perfectly. Living our lives in peace and repentance before the All Holy Trinity is all that is important. Hopefully those in power will live by this but we can't force people, only pray for them.

Christ is Risen!!

I am a dyed in the wool Monarchist! Bring back the King, not of England of course would much rather have the King of Norway! wink
Stephanos I

Last edited by Stephanos I; 04/25/11 04:43 AM.
S
S
Indeed He Has Risen!

I agree 100% God's kingdom is not of this world and mankind will pervert every good form of government! People are not the solution, God is! We CAN make things better, but I've got this feeling that what you want is unrealistic.

L
L
Originally Posted by StuartK
i assume you're being sarcastic

Can you think of a more inefficient empire than the ramshackle, polyglot realm of the Hapsburgs?

ottoman empire, and it lasted a lot longer

Austrian Empire's entire existence since Catherine the Great was a joke, have you ever read history of the Austrian Empire or Austrian-Hungarian Empire? nor can i think of any empire that had to ask its archenemy to help it put down internal rebellions nor of any empire that had to keep its armories days sometimes weeks march from it's reserve units to prevent them from nationalistic uprising

the austrian-hungarian empire and the austrian empire itself during napoleonic times was a joke, still cant believe you think the hapsburgs ran if efficiently - only time when it was efficient was during the counter reformation and still they had hard time against prussia and turkey, after acquiring hungary, poland, and balkans it was a sicker man than the ottoman empire

after the first world war the ex-emperor tried to claim hungary as his kingdom, the hungarians refused

to topic, monarchy dosent bother me, though "thanks" to the American presdient woodrow wilson its age is over

as to the feudalism, i think people here are too euro-centric

Last edited by Litvin; 04/25/11 06:50 PM.
Z
ZAROVE Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Litvin- I wouldn't say the Age of Monarchy is over. One thing I've learned from history is, it tends to repeat itself, and that which was seen once as dead and gone for good often makes a surprising comeback.

S
S
True--if there is a total societal, economic and technological collapse, monarchy will again become the default system of government, because, inevitably, the strongest military leaders will acquire followers, power will coalesce around them, and the weak will seek shelter under their protection. Invariable, kings will either seek religious sanction for their power, or will subsume the function of priest (or even god) into their royal mantle.

Z
ZAROVE Offline OP
OP Offline
Z

Actually Monarchy doesn’t require a total collapse of society to make a comeback. It could be the result of a Religious Revival. Don’t laugh, only in America is Republicanism linked to strong Christianity, in Europe Republicanism is mainly linked to Atheism.

Conversely, society may just get tired of the politicians telling hem what to do and want a much smaller Government. Say what you will, Monarchies tended to be smaller Governments and cost way less.

A Conservative movement in Europe could easily increase the power of existing Monarchies, or restore lost ones.

EG, the Russians may easily decide to restore the Tzar, and there is some talk of such already, without Social collapse.

Bare in mind, while I like the idea of private land owners running things, I also prefer Constitutional Monarchy to a pure Republic. I’d love to see the Romanov’s back on their Throne. I can also imagine the Russian Federation reinstating the Monarchy without total collapse of their society. It’d not take a whole lot, really.

I can even see France restoring their Monarchy if a Revival of Catholicism happens, and people begin to question the Dogmas of the Revolutionaries they now so Lionise.

Really only in America do people say Conservatism demands Republican sentiments.

Given that Royal Restorations have happened before without a total collapse of all society, EG, Spain, Cambodia, and England being prominent examples, its possible to see a restoration of Monarchism without the doom and gloom.

By the way, there was once a republic of England under Cromwell.

Then, a Glorious Restoration of the House Stuart to the Throne!

EG, the Russians may easily decide to restore the Tzar, and there is some talk of such already, without Social collapse.

Bare in mind, while I like the idea of private land owners running things, I also prefer Constitutional Monarchy to a pure Republic. I’d love to see the Romanov’s back on their Throne. I can also imagine the Russian Federation reinstating the Monarchy without total collapse of their society. It’d not take a whole lot, really.

Some how I think Vladimir Putin would have something to say about giving up his near dictatorial power.

T
T
What's the problem?

No need to give up power.

Originally Posted by Nelson Chase
Some how I think Vladimir Putin would have something to say about giving up his near dictatorial power.

"Vladimir, Tsar of all the Russias" has a nice ring to it. eek

And given the Royal tendency to hold multiple titles, I'm sure our Ukrainian monarchists would have no problem with restoring the monarchy of "Vladimir, Grand Prince of Kiev" eek eek

We can bridge the gap between democracy and monarchy by electing him King, as was the Polish practice.

"Vladimir, King of Poland,
Grand Duke of Lithuania,
Poobah of Points South" biggrin

I'm sure a convenient Patriarch can be found to do the coronations. laugh

S
S
Zarove, I think you starting to back peddle on you neo feudalism and support a constitutional monarchy. Glad to see we now think more alike now!

S
S
Although, let me make this clear no monarchy for America! Unless its ME! I just can't trust anyone else.

T
T
Originally Posted by Scotty
Although, let me make this clear no monarchy for America! Unless its ME! I just can't trust anyone else.

You sound like Mr. Trump.

America, or part of it, did have one royal family, but I don't think there are any living descendants of King Kamehameha.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.