The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
FdL couple watches son on '60 Minutes'
12:00 AM, Apr. 27, 2011 |
http://www.gannettonline.com/external/scripts/momslikeme/?siteid=7018
Written by
Sharon Roznik

Watching "60 Minutes" on Sunday, Cal and Fran Deuster of Fond du Lac saw their son for the first time in 15 years.

Father Matthew Deuster, 60, was among the monks featured in an unprecedented show that gave viewers a rare glimpse into monastic life in Greece.

Cal said his son started out as a Catholic priest and then changed to the Eastern Orthodox religion. He and his wife have not traveled to Greece to visit the monastery because women are not allowed there.

The documentary highlighted Vatopedi Monastery near Mt. Athos. The region is home to 20 monasteries located on 130 miles of peninsula. The 2,000 Anthonite monks who reside there have lived the same way for a thousand years, according to the show.

The monasteries were created by Byzantine Emperors to be the spiritual capital of Orthodox Christianity.

Cal said he hears from his son through email and helps the monastery with the monetary exchange system when they need supplies from the United States.

Father Matthew also has a brother in Fond du Lac, Dan Duester, who is co-owner of Fondy Sports Park and Do-It-All Sports Complex.

Father Matthew's last name was incorrect in a story published Sunday due to miscommunication between CBS and The Reporter.

My new bride and I were watching this together and she asked me, "Do you want to be a monk now?" Part of me inside did say, yes. It is hard not to be inspired by these Holy Men. I of course said and "leave you, never but if you want to be a nun then...." grin wink

Last edited by Nelson Chase; 04/28/11 05:48 PM.
Originally Posted by Nelson Chase
My new bride and I were watching this together and she asked me, "Do you want to be a monk now?" Part of me inside did say, yes. It is hard not to be inspired by these Holy Men. I of course said and "leave you, never but if you want to be a nun then...." grin wink

I'm told that one man, his wife, and his son all are in one of the Athonite monasteries (or an associated convent in the case of the wife) - and we're not talking about a Byzantine-era hagiography, but rather in 2011.

Every once in a while the monk must visit the associated convent - and when he does, his wife still feels the need to come out and fixes his collar. biggrin

The program inspired me to use some Mt. Athos incense I had acquired years ago during Matins on Bright Tuesday.

It did not drive the women from the temple.

L
L
Originally Posted by Jason H
Just passing this on, which I read elsewhere:

Got this via our parish's email list:

Subj: "60 Minutes" Episode on Mt. Athos

CBS TV's 60 Minutes will air a 40-minute segment on the Holy Mountain of Athos in Greece on Sunday, April 24, 2011 (Pascha Sunday). It will include scenes of worship and daily life, as well as interviews with the abbots of several of the Mountain's twenty monasteries.

Christ is born!

This feature on Mt Athos is being repeated on 60 Minutes tonight (along with a piece about the Vatican Library).
Sorry if it's been already posted elsewhere...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.