The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 333 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
OP Offline
L
[Linked Image]

The story was found here: http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/#3866293413795006812

...but links to this story about how a German Catholic businessman commissioned the papal tiara, which was created by a Bulgarian Orthodox liturgical studio. Catholics and Orthodox presented it to His Holiness while on pilgrimage in Rome.

Before this, I thought we'd never see Pope Benedict bring back the papal tiara, but now, I honestly feel like he'll use it - eventually. I notice the design cleverly incorporates what seems to be favorite shades of purple and red, and the leaflets in the crowns are seashells, the same as his papal coat of arms.

I just feel like he's too much of a gentleman and has enough of an interest in bringing back some momentarily-forgotten papal vestiture not to wear this.

Woo hoo! I think it's cool.

Alexis

I love it.

S
S
However, having renounced the title of Patriarch of the West, should he not have one of the gold circlets removed from the tiara?

I should suggest he should reinstate the title. If the hat fits wink

Seriously, returning to the symbolism, pageantry and titles of the traditional Church will only aid rapprochment with Orthodox who know about such things, who never wanted the title patriarch fo the west dropped anyway.

Bring on tiaras, buskins and ceremonial vesting of roman popes and bishops!

J
JDC Offline
J
Originally Posted by StuartK
However, having renounced the title of Patriarch of the West, should he not have one of the gold circlets removed from the tiara?

Did he renounce it quite, or just stop using it?

L
OP Offline
L
I don't think the papal tiara has anything to do with the title of Patriarch of the West at all, which as a side note, I'm fine with being dropped.

Alexis

S
S
The three golden circlets supposedly represented the three levels of the Pope's jurisdiction: Bishop of Rome, Patriarch of the West, and Pope of Rome.

L
OP Offline
L
Supposedly according to who? What I seem to have come across (and I admit to having known once more concretely and having since forgotten) is that an one crown symbolizes spiritual power, one crown symbolizes temporal power, and the third is, well, just because it looks like or because Catholics, like Orthodox and other Apostolic Christians, just generally like things that come in threes.

Alexis

Last edited by Logos - Alexis; 05/27/11 01:30 AM.
U
U
“Accipe thiaram tribus coronis ornatam, et scias te esse Patrem Principum et Regum, Rectorem Orbis, in terra Vicarium Salvatoris Nostri Jesu Christi, cui est honor et gloria in sæcula sæculorum.”

Now I know why the humble servant of God, P. Paul VI, placed it on the altar steps of St Peter's never to take it up again. I would be very surprised if P. Benedict XVI actually wore this beautiful thing. He chose not to put it on his coat of arms. I believe it has been replaced by the simple bishop's mitre.

Last edited by Utroque; 05/27/11 03:04 AM.
S
S
Our hats still rule. Ruthenians should give it a try.

S
S
His Holiness and I have at least 1 thing in common: apparently he likes hats (that tiara is might snazzy) and I believe he has worn the camauro on some occasions, like Bl. Pope John XXIII did.

I like hats, too - but I prefer cowboy hats and "gimme" caps.

By the way, did the Holy Father recently appear in public wearing the fanon over his other sacred vestments?

J
J
They or going to have to get a bed topper on that popemobile if he is going to wear that thing. I looks like they could tip it upside down and use it for a wine cooler. It is too bad that wealthy German businessmen don't have better things to do with their money. Given some of the comments I have seen on some of the Orthodox sites recently, that Orthodox craftsman better get to confession right away because making a tiara for the heretic Pope is certainly blasphemy if not something worse.

All I can think is headache!

S
S
It is too bad that wealthy German businessmen don't have better things to do with their money.

Just remember the first guy who said, "We could have spent that on the poor".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.