The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 284 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#366572 07/09/11 06:22 PM
Anna Offline OP
OP Offline
I am a little disturbed by the images on Fr. Loya's website, www.taborlife.org [taborlife.org] Should I be?

Warning, some may find them offensive.

I agree with you.

No. Understand the context.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Actually when I first went there I didn't even see the flashing header; I was looking at the contents in the body of the page.

There are one or two that I may have changed, but remember the target souls that are being approached. The young active or potentially active won't be shocked; hopefully the pics won't lead to temptation, but it will get their attention.

I once ran an ad on TV promoting the Eucharist; I didn't advertise on traditional channels; I advertised on MTV. I object to their content but that is where your reach the people that need the message.
Christ is amongst us!
Fr Deacon Paul

Doth a fountain send forth, out of the same hole, sweet and bitter water? Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear grapes; or the vine, figs? So neither can the salt water yield sweet. ( James:3:11-12 )

I have to agree with the original poster and disagree with the last poster Paul B. They are disturbing. And if they are aimed at a set audience it does not matter. You can not get the message of Christ across whilst using such horrid images of nakedness that tempts youngters rather than invite them into the Church on a Holy Site/Blog.

In Christ
Wheely

S
S
Good thing you weren't around when Paul and Peter were spreading the Gospel across the Roman world. Look up "herm".

J
J
I think the images clearly convey the message intended. Here are the sins of today and here is the answer. As an advertising piece it is really pretty well done. I am an old guy and I don't find it offensive. As someone said consider the context.

Last edited by JimG; 07/10/11 02:33 AM.
J
J
I agree that, as advertising, it is really very well done. However, I also feel, like someone else said, that you can get the message of Christ across without resorting to using such images to convey your point. Maybe if the website were exclusively aimed at an audience that needs to see such images in order to get their attention captured, but it isn't. I think it's intended to have much broader appeal than that. I personally don't think it's appropriate to use such images, and find it disturbing, even though I understand the context.

I'm interested in hearing what others think, however, as we are having two very different reactions to it expressed so far.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I actually saw comments similar to Anna's reaction on another site (a blog, I think, but can't be sure) a few months ago. As I recollect, Father Tom posted at the time, explaining the rationale from his perspective. He maintains a very busy schedule but perhaps he'll stop by and comment.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
The pictures are provocative, no doubt. But look at the bigger picture. This is what young people are doing these days - how do you reconcile them to God and His Church? Hitting the Bible on their heads and promising fire & brimstone?

The truth is always painful, and we cannot hide away from it. But that does not mean we condemn them. Jesus never condemned sinners, so we shouldn't be too quick to be Pharisees.

B
B
I thought the images were rather mild, as images go. But I work with middle-schoolers every day, and nothing much shocks me any more.

S
S
What disturbs me is that there's a need for such a website. It reassures me, however, that this material is thus made available to people who, without it, might have very unhappy lives in this world; and maybe not such a good life in eternity...sometimes the truth IS painful but it also has a liberating quality as it enables relief and "authorizes" people to swim against the tide.

When and if we are no longer counter-cultural, maybe that's when we're in trouble.

Last edited by sielos ilgesys; 07/10/11 09:41 PM. Reason: can't spell well
Hi,

I did not find anything offensive on the home page of this site.

But then again, being part of God's creation, which God Himself deemed to be "Very Good", I do not believe there is anything inherently wrong or sinful about sex.

Shalom,
Memo

B
B
I agree with you. In this country, we have too much of a Calvinist mentality when it comes to nudity. I think that just makes it more appealing in a bad way.

J
J
After listening to many of his broadcasts, I don't believe any of his radio messages are luid. I think they are in line with the teachings of the church. True the images on the website are a little shocking to some. But it did succeed in grabbing your attention to possibly address an issue you might normally not have listened to.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.