The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989
5,991 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (San Nicolas, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,747
Members5,991
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#371122 11/02/11 12:09 AM
M
Marian Offline OP
OP Offline
M
A question to all...what is the name of that special place where are sold candles, little books, incense and other religious items in a Church or aside a Church?! Is there a single word (well...hoping that besides the classical shop!), a special name? In my language it is used the word "pangar", but what about the English?

Thank you! May God help.

Marian #371140 11/02/11 05:14 AM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Marian, my brother,

So nice to see a post by you. I pray that all is well with you and your family.

As to your question, I tried using one of the on-line translation programs to see what 'pangar' meant in English - and had no luck (it told me that it translated as 'defiled'). I don't think, to be honest, that there is any one, single, term in English for what you describe.

In a large church that attracts tourists and many visitors (such as a shrine, basilica, cathedral, or historically notable church), I think one would likely see it called a gift shop, souvenir shop, or religious goods store.

In a small local church, catering mainly to those who are parishioners and, occasionally, to a visitor, it's probably most often referred to as the book shop, church store, or it may not even have a distinct name.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Marian #371143 11/02/11 10:32 AM
M
Marian Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you, Brother in Christ. I tried on google translate and got the same word 'defiled', but it is totally wrong.

'Pangar' is a place where a person can buy candles or write an akhatist or buy a little piece of bread, with all these three (lit candle, akhatist and little bread) goes to the Holy Altar and give them to the Father priest, that all written in akhatist, alive or asleep, the alive Church, be mentioned at the Divine Liturgy.

Marian #371149 11/02/11 04:19 PM
Humm, ok, I think we are understanding it as different things. I have heard of it in Europe, but not certain we have them here like that.

Someone was sharing with me that over inJerusalem, they bought candles the height of their children and gave them to the priest for burning. Here we would just buy a candle from the candle stand. Which is usually just a metal stand holding the candle with a change box under it.

Someone makes the whole loaf of bread for the Divine Iturgy. The priest would the cut the particles from the center of it.

Then for remembrances, an offering is made with the persons name. Then each person listed would be prayed for duringthe DL.

Marian #371170 11/03/11 05:49 AM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Marian,

The custom of providing or offering a piece of the bread or a small loaf to the priest, together with a paper on which is written the name of a loved one to be remembered and possibly an offering for doing so, is one most common in the Churches of the Slav Byzantine Tradition. And, it seems to me that there was a thread here not too long ago about it - though I can't find it at the moment. I'm not aware, however, of any custom of buying a loaf or a section of one in a shop or store connected to the church. Others may know of such.

As regards candles, the customs here are essentially as Rose has described.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.