The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#373175 12/17/11 11:42 AM
OP Offline
Does anybody have any of the books or know where I might find the texts?

T
Tim Offline
Greco-Kat
Greco-Kat
T
You will find portions of the Liturgy in Attwater, Eastern Catholic Worship (The Devin-Adair Company, New York 1945), pp 139-161, and a brief description (with photographs) in Liesel, Catholic Liturgies, (The Newman Press, Westminster, MD 1960), pp 61-75.

OP Offline
I have the Liesel book, that's what got me interested. I'll try and hunt down Attwater.

I'd still like a text with a nod towards the options for the variable parts of the liturgy if one can obtain it. Maybe I should contact the SSPX or something...

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Ned,

Take a look at abebooks site - several copies available, at least a couple of which are the hardcover Devin-Adair edition. Pretty reasonable - you'll pay more for the postage than the book, I suspect.

here [abebooks.com]

Of the sellers listed, I've bought from Better World Books and St Anthony's Books and found both very reliable in regard to their description of items.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
OP Offline
I meant the actual Maronite "missals" from SSPX, bot the Attwater, which is easy to get.

I doubt anybody but SSPX would horde such deprecated liturgical items these days...

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
We hold a number of Maronite antique prayer books, some of which are still used in the Liturgies today.

Ned,

Are you anywhere near Redfern [collectionsaustralia.net]?

Many years,

Neil

PS - As I was thinking more about this, 2 things came to mind

... you do realize that your chances of finding a pre-1962 Maronite liturgical text in English is pretty much nil? There were no Maronite canonical jurisdictions in the English-speaking diaspora until 1966 as memory serves, when the Apostolic Exarchate was erected for the US. Bkerke hadn't published any new official text in something like 400 years, until about 1990.

There was a 1935 text called "The Syrian Maronite Mass in English: hymns and answers of the choir in English characters, explanation of ceremonies, Communion prayers : for the use of our Lebanese and Syrian youth" The author was P.F. Sfeir, a priest in the US at the time, I believe. It was published out of Detroit by a house called McDevitt. Good luck finding a copy of that. Other than the heritage center, I'd suggest your only chance would be a university library - (doubt the SSPX) - or an elderly Maronite priest with an inherited book collection.

... also, not sure why you chose '62. There were no significant (if any) liturgical changes in the Maronite Qurbobo/Service of the Divine Mysteries in the immediate aftermath of VII.

From late 1968 until mid 1969, while in the Army, I worshipped with a Maronite parsh because there were no Byzantine parishes anywhere near my assigned post. Absolutely nothing had changed from my first exposure in about 1960, nor any of the times that I had attended a Maronite temple in the decade of the 60s.

Either the Exarchate or its successor Eparchy of Detroit of the Maronites published a small series in the 70s, which probably documented the first changes. (I think there were 4 or 5 texts, each devoted to one of the Maronite liturgical seasons).

Many years,

Neil

Last edited by Irish Melkite; 12/18/11 01:43 PM.

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Ned,

Ok - chances are even less than I thought. I did a bit more research. Sfier's text was reprinted in 1953 in Buffalo - minor subtitle changes, probably some text changes as well. This edition may have the author's name in its typical Arabic to English spelling - Butrus SÌ£ufayr.

The known worldwide library holdings are only 1 copy of the '35 edition and 4 of the '53 edition.

Many years,

Neil

OP Offline
Ah nice link I might check Redfern.

For such a common rite nowadays it seems sadly undersuppled.

Oh well thanks for the comprehensive info.

G
G
Otsheylnik,

You may find some answers to your inquiry from this 2021 article by New Liturgical Movement: link. [newliturgicalmovement.org]

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.