The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#376028 02/20/12 06:59 AM
OP Offline
Questions

I am beginning to understand the Ruthenian Typicons - a little - complication at it's finest.

I would like to know the differences between ORDO and Typicon

How say the Latin Mass and it's structure are determined and what they are called (along with the feast days and celebration of such) Like our Typicons

Are they related? Where are they similar?

Who sets the calendar and by what function?
In the Latin Church they have 3 rotating Cycles
Is there something similar in the Eastern Typicons?

Are there formulas and methodologies to the settings of the Typicons.

I have even seen a document called a Bell Ringing Typicon.
When and how to ring bells.

What about coordination and Latinization of Eastern Typicons to be in Union with The Holy See?

Any guidance?
Books? Articles?
too hard a comparative study?

They're really two different critters. There are similar things they regulate, but the Typikon is is more inclusive, and is more organic and flexible than the Ordo, to the point where there is conceivably a different variant of the Typikon used in every community, and this is not a bad thing. Every community is different and has different needs.

That said, there are two basic Typika that are used-the so called Typikon of the Monastery of St Sabas (i think it reached it's final form in the 14th century), and a derivative compiled in 1888 by Giorgios Violakes that describes usage at the Ecumenical Patriarchate. This latter rescension is standard in Greek churches. Slavic churches use the St Sabas Typikon or regional variations that contain varying numbers of Latinizations and hold-overs from the Studite Typikon.

Since the base document is a monastic one, it regulates much more than just the Divine Liturgy, but all services of the year, and coordinates the various temporal cycles that run our liturgical year. It also regulates fast days and feast days, and how they are combined.

Here is a page that has a handy compilation of where you can find resources on various Typika on the internet: http://www.synaxis.info/synaxis/6_typicon/survey.html

In Christ,
Adam

OP Offline

Where does one start to see the structures and the theology of East and West separate and/or converge especially before and after the Schism

Who is the scholar on this in the Orthodox World (if indeed there is one source)?

When did Old Calendarists and New Calendarists start

What effects did the reformation have on all this?

English Anglican Church vs Orthodoxy/

Of course Latinization of Eastern Catholic Churches has definitely merged in the Eastern Catholic Churches.

OP Offline
A huge slice of pie to tackle - perhaps too big.

Where is Stuart when I need him?

M
M
An Ordo (short for ' Ordo Recitandi', and also called the 'Directorium' or Directory) is the Latin term for a (calendar) year's worth of directions as to which of the variable parts of the mass (liturgy) and the Divine Office (the prayers found in a breviary).

The Typikon is properly a book that gives instructions when more than one feast or season or Sunday occurs on the same date. It is timeless -- i.e., it doesn't just give specific instructions for a single calendar year, as does an Ordo.

The Typikon, as described above, has two basic root sources: that of St Sabbas (monastery) as mentioned earlier, and that of the great Church of Constantinople, which was a fuller version with more detailed instructions. Today, each patriarchate tends to follow one version. For example, the Ecumenical Patriarchate (of Constantinople) now follows the Violakis edition, which is a simplified implementation of the prayer structures more suitable for public celebration. The patriarchates of Antioch (Orthodox and Catholic) basically follow Constantinople with some local usage applied (including no special recognition of later, Greek saints, for example).

Sometimes people refer to a yearly booklet of instructions for the Divine Liturgy and prayers as a typikon. In this case, it resembles an Ordo in function and content -- although, obviously Byzantine.

OP Offline
I never said thank you but that is the best explanation to the confusion that existed in my mind.

I think I know more now (a dangerous thing for me)

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.