The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 311 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
A Hierarchical Triumph of Orthodoxy Vespers

Hosted by

The Patriarchal Parishes of the

Russian Orthodox Church in the USA

Sunday March 4, 2012, 4:00PM

SS Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Cathedral

200 3rd St. (Corner of Monroe and 3rd) Passaic, NJ

Concelebrating Clergy and a Combined Choir from:

The Moscow Patriarchate

The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia

The Orthodox Church in America

ALL ARE WELCOME!

Immediately Following Vespers A light Lenten Meal will be offered by the

New Jersey District Fellowship of Orthodox Christians in America

OP Offline
It's my cathedral and I sing in the choir! Hope to see you guys!

J
JEK Offline
J
Here is a radio interview with Father Kaznica in regard to this event.

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/features/hierarchical_triumph_of_orthodoxy_vespers

J
JEK Offline
J
I wonder how this Vesper Service went today in Passaic, I heard there was a crowd at the Ukrainian Catholic church to view the replica of the Shroud of Turin, the City of Passaic was certainly busy today! grin

OP Offline
Here is a video of the event:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/TzKSIL-eLbA

I was not there because I was not feeling well on Sunday, but Father Stephen told me it went "exceptionally well" and was well attended.

OP Offline
And here are articles about the event:

In English: http://www.ruschurchusa.org/en/photo/260

In Russian: http://www.mospat.ru/ru/2012/03/06/news59550/

Glory to God!

J
JEK Offline
J
Sorry to hear you were not feeling well, I hope you feel better now, here are some photos from Father George's website

https://plus.google.com/photos/1050.../5716237856812594945/5716237866157139442

I heard from others it was a nice turn out.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Very nice, Mariya. Thanks for posting these.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
OP Offline
Originally Posted by JEK
Sorry to hear you were not feeling well, I hope you feel better now
Hi Joy, a lot better now, thanks! smile

J
JEK Offline
J
Glad to hear it! smile

OP Offline
From Fr. Stephen:

Last Sunday Archbishop Justinian and Bishop Jerome, along with over 50 members of the clergy and 400 faithful from the Patriarchal Parishes, the Orthodox Church in America and the Russian Church Abroad participated in a historic Orthodox Sunday service here in our Cathedral. It was the first time that the three jurisdictions, which all trace their roots to the Russian Church, served together on Orthodox Sunday on such a large scale. It’s particularly significant in that the day is traditionally set aside by the Church as a time to display unity among Orthodox Christians, and those present at the service witnessed that unity in a remarkable way.

I’m grateful to Archbishop Justinian, who gave his blessing to hold the service here in Passaic, to Metropolitan Hilarion and Bishop Jerome of ROCOR, and to Bishop Michael of the OCA, all who gave their blessings for their respective clergy to participate. I’m grateful to Igumen Nicodemus, assistant to the Archbishop, Fr. Serge Lukianov, the Secretary of the Eastern American Diocese of ROCOR, and to Fr. Joseph Lickwar, Chancellor of the NY-NJ Diocese of the OCA for their indispensable assistance. In addition, there were other clergy working behind the scenes to make it all come together. Without their help, the day would not have been possible.

So many people from our parish, FOCA Chapter 30, and the NJ District FOCA worked almost non-stop for months to prepare for the event, and the logistics behind it were enormously complicated, especially in planning and preparing the meal, but they came thorough with flying colors. A special word of thanks is due to the NJ District FOCA, whose membership went above and beyond in their quest to hold an event that exemplified their mission to promote Orthodox unity in America. It was the members of the NJ District FOCA who first proposed the idea to pursue the possibility of a large-scale pan-Orthodox event.

We can look back on that day with the assurance that it was indeed a complete success. Those of us present witnessed history in the making, something that just a decade ago would have been unthinkable. To those involved in the planning, it was indeed a long and arduous process, but the work of the Holy Spirit was evident throughout it all. Glory to God, for we have come away from it with a renewed sense of love for our fellow Orthodox Christians, and with positive proof that the growth and unity of the Orthodox Church in this country is within our reach if we are willing to go to work with humble hearts and fervent prayer.

With Love in Christ,

Fr. Stephen

J
JEK Offline
J
Very nice message Mariya, thanks for posting it!

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.