The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#380347 05/21/12 11:26 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Pax!
Do Byzantine Catholic theology accept everthing in The Way of a Pilgrim or are there things that you're theology find problematic?

I don't read it for its theology: I read it for its spirituality, and there is (for me) nothing problematic in its spirituality.

Metanoia is not problematic.

henrikhank:

Christ is in our midst!!

I think that your question presupposes that the Christian East approaches these areas--theology, spirituality, and Liturgy--in the same way that the Latin West does. That is, you assume that these areas are separate somehow. From my experience, the Christian East sees these areas as part of a whole way of life that cannot be dissected and separated.

We live out our theology in our spirituality and liturgy. It's all part of a life lived within and for Christ. It's a living thing. As our brother points out, metanoia--that constant conversion of life that we should be doing each day, each hour, each minute, and with each breath--is an ongoing thing. And that is what the whole story of The Way of a Pilgrim is about. In a way, we should all see ourselves in that person's walk. We are all pilgrims. As a funeral verse I've heard often in my professional career goes, "we have no permanent home here; our true home is in Heaven and from there we await the coming of our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ."

My take on the Pilgrim is that we need to be more alert to the fact that the world can make us blind to the fact that time is running quickly and we have less time with each passing moment. Scriputre has it that it is apoointed for a man once to die and then comes the Judgment. This last is something that contemporary Western theology downplays. I, for one, don't believe in "pushover Jesus" Who will let everyone off no matter what he's done in this life. So the Pilgrim is a wake-up call.

Bob

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by theophan
henrikhank:

Christ is in our midst!!

I think that your question presupposes that the Christian East approaches these areas--theology, spirituality, and Liturgy--in the same way that the Latin West does. That is, you assume that these areas are separate somehow.
Bob
Do Latin mystics really do that?

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.