The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989
5,991 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (San Nicolas, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,747
Members5,991
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#381837 06/19/12 11:05 PM
OP Offline
I've developed a problem with my Word program. It won't let me save anything. It's just begun a couple weeks ago.

Any thoughts?

Bob

John
John
Check your registration. It is possible that the file containing the serial number got corrupted and when this happens you can open and read documents but not save any changes. Easiest way is to uninstall and re-install the program.

J
JDC Offline
J
If you can't get anywhere with Word, download and install OpenOffice.org which can edit and save documents in excel and word formats. It's free, and excellent. You won't look back.

OP Offline
John:

Thanks, but the problem is that the program was installed on my computer when I bought it and I didn't get a copy to use for this purpose. So I guess I'm sentenced to buying a new Office set.

As far OpenOffice.org is concerned, I tried that last night and got as far as part of it that wanted $50 for an anti-virus program that was packaged with it.

Bob

J
JDC Offline
J
From here? http://www.openoffice.org/download/

You don't need to pay for it. It's free. I'm not sure what you got.

OP Offline
JDC:

Thanks for the link. This is a totally different site than the one I'd come across. Downloaded the package and, you're right--I'll never go back.

When I googled "Open Office," I found about four or more different sites other than the one you offered. One has some sort of program that scans the computer for viruses and left-over files--that's the one that stopped and wanted the $50 to continue.

Thanks,
Bob

John
John
Originally Posted by theophan
John:

Thanks, but the problem is that the program was installed on my computer when I bought it and I didn't get a copy to use for this purpose. So I guess I'm sentenced to buying a new Office set.

As far OpenOffice.org is concerned, I tried that last night and got as far as part of it that wanted $50 for an anti-virus program that was packaged with it.

Bob
Bob,

They should have given you license information and where to download a fresh install. Check your documentation if you wish to continue with Word. I don't use OpenOffice so can't comment on it.

John

J
JDC Offline
J
Originally Posted by Administrator
I don't use OpenOffice so can't comment on it.

You should start.

Get the free LibreOffice from http://www.libreoffice.org
It is a branch off of the OpenOffice source.
In my opinion, it is a great improvement over OpenOffice.

J
JDC Offline
J
Originally Posted by theophilus
Get the free LibreOffice from http://www.libreoffice.org
It is a branch off of the OpenOffice source.
In my opinion, it is a great improvement over OpenOffice.

How byzantine. Perhaps you and I and our respective descendants can spend the next 500 years fighting about it.

OP Offline
John:

Found a Microsoft Office disc. Interestingly, when I placed it into the DVD drive, the response was that "there is no digital signature" and "cannot verify authenticity."

????

Did I get some pirated disc?

In the meantime, my son-in-law took the old program completely off the machine so there is no going back.

In other news--in the the book file I was editing for an author my Norton program found 17 security alerts that it took care of. As I piece together a timeline, it seems that it may have been this file that started this whole problem.

Bob

John
John
There are several possibilities.

If you purchased the program with a license it is probably valid (unless you purchased it from the guy in the parking lot who also sells computers, stereos and mattresses).

More likely there is a problem with the disk.

If you have a license number you could probably download the program from Microsoft.

The 17 security alerts suggest either viruses on the machine or possibly a corrupt file. Update your antivirus program and run it regularly. If you don't have one, Microsoft Security Essentials is free and quite acceptable, as are several others.

OP Offline
John:

The Microsoft Office program (2010) was one I bought new from Staples. The first disk seemed to be blank when I put it into my DVD drive so I took it back. I could read the new Norton disk that I bought the same day so I don't think the computer was off. I did download the Office suite via the Internet and things are now on trakc.

In the meantime, my son-in-law gave me a copy of his Office 2007 suite so I put it on the DVD drive and was able to see that it had all the files and folders that should have been on the 2010 version.

I'm still mystified as to why the second 2010 disk shows nothing when I browse it--just liek the first one I bought from Staples. The computer still says "insert a disk" when I put it into the drive and a browse shows an empty window. When I went to Staples, the computer tech told me that his machine showed the disks had the required files and folders.

Bob

John
John
Bob,

There's no real way of knowing why your computer can't read the disks. It could be something with your CD/DVD drive. It could be the manufacturer of the set of disks that Microsoft used to contain the program.

Glad you have the program up and running.

John

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.