The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Anna777, HeraclitusTheObscu, Charbelknox, Andreas_Iacobus, FloridaPole
5,827 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 104 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Byzantine Nebraska
Byzantine Nebraska
by orthodoxsinner2, December 11
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,136
Posts414,721
Members5,827
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I found this article this morning in my Google reader feed from St. Elias...Today! [sainteliaschurch.blogspot.com]

During a one-hour meeting between Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople and the Director of Cultural and Ethnic and Plitical Studies of the Interregional Academy of HR Management, literary critic Vasyl Yaremenko, in Istanbul, the participants discussed the unification of Ukrainian churches.

The meeting was held on the occasion of the publication of the Lutsk Gospel, a unique monument of the time of the Kyivan Rus, when Byzantium was our spiritual center and Constantinople was viewed as the ideological capital. Therefore, the Lutsk Gospel is evidence of the direct connection with the Byzantine Patriarchate, the Mother Church of the Ukrainian Church.

The mother Church of the Ukrainian Church. Strong words from the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

I found this quote particularly interesting from the article:

In the interview, Yaremenko said that when Alexis stated that Ukraine is Moscow’s canonical territory and Kirill repeated it, [b]four Patriarchs publicly stated that it is not a canonical territory of the Russian Church according to the Canons. The Kyivan Metropolitanate accepted Christianity from Byzantine, and later, when Moscow was granted the patriarchate, the question of a transfer of the jurisdiction was never raised. Therefore, Ukraine is a canonical territory of the Patriarchate of Constantinople. [/b]

The scholar stressed that he understood from the conversation with Patriarch Bartholomew I that political will of the state’s leaders is needed. Without it we will never have our own unified church

I wonder which four patriarchs spoke up? When I read of issues like this I can't but help to think a strong primacy would help the Orthodox Churches solve such disputes.

Last edited by Nelson Chase; 11/20/12 05:43 PM.
M
M
EP just playing games, he is not telling the truth when he states that There has not been a formal request, president Yushchenko, along with Patriarch Filaret had a deal with the EP which was changed at the last minute, leaving the only choice to back out. The EP wants the UOC-MP and president Yanukovich to agree and ask for autocephaly? Is he kidding or does he really believe that we are stupid? That will never happen... Plus, again, by the 34 Apostolic Pravylo, no one needs to ask, each country has the right to an autocephalous church. This is typical propaganda, to lay the blame on someone else

I
I
Originally Posted by Nelson Chase
I found this article this morning in my Google reader feed from St. Elias...Today! [sainteliaschurch.blogspot.com]

During a one-hour meeting between Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople and the Director of Cultural and Ethnic and Plitical Studies of the Interregional Academy of HR Management, literary critic Vasyl Yaremenko, in Istanbul, the participants discussed the unification of Ukrainian churches.

The meeting was held on the occasion of the publication of the Lutsk Gospel, a unique monument of the time of the Kyivan Rus, when Byzantium was our spiritual center and Constantinople was viewed as the ideological capital. Therefore, the Lutsk Gospel is evidence of the direct connection with the Byzantine Patriarchate, the Mother Church of the Ukrainian Church.

The mother Church of the Ukrainian Church. Strong words from the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

I found this quote particularly interesting from the article:

In the interview, Yaremenko said that when Alexis stated that Ukraine is Moscow’s canonical territory and Kirill repeated it, [b]four Patriarchs publicly stated that it is not a canonical territory of the Russian Church according to the Canons. The Kyivan Metropolitanate accepted Christianity from Byzantine, and later, when Moscow was granted the patriarchate, the question of a transfer of the jurisdiction was never raised. Therefore, Ukraine is a canonical territory of the Patriarchate of Constantinople. [/b]

The scholar stressed that he understood from the conversation with Patriarch Bartholomew I that political will of the state’s leaders is needed. Without it we will never have our own unified church

I wonder which four patriarchs spoke up? When I read of issues like this I can't but help to think a strong primacy would help the Orthodox Churches solve such disputes.
I wonder, who are the four mistaken patriarchs?

The EP is on record reiterating that Ukraine lies within the Patriarchate of Moscow.

The West developed a strong primacy, and this is where it led
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tkkjn54Lcxw/TNSvpiaOA1I/AAAAAAAAAH8/6ctCEoKK2oU/s1600/KISH219.jpg

Where will you find the Lutsk Gospel? Moscow.

C
C
I think the individual interviewed in the article is spinning the story.

If the EP said that Constantinople is the "mother church" of Ukraine, it does not necessarily mean that the EP views Ukraine as its "canonical territory".

The EP knows the complex situation in Ukraine, and I'm sure he is working as he can to help. However, there is no chance that the EP is going to unilaterally recognize the UOC-KP, or simply set up a jurisdiction himself.

Fr. David

Moderated by  Father Anthony 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2022 (Forum 1998-2022). All rights reserved.