The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989
5,991 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bishop Titus), 551 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,746
Members5,991
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#389896 01/14/13 08:55 PM
OP Offline
I am going to be in New York City this weekend and would like to attend a Divine Liturgy while I am there. Any suggestions?

Whew, such a huge area... Lemme look. Are you looking for Byzantine Catholic? Ukrainian Greek-Catholic? A flavor of Orthodoxy? Being more specific in terms of which Church you'd wish to attend would be very helpful.

S
S
St. Michael's Russian Catholic Church:

St. Michael's Russian Catholic Church [stmichaelruscath.org]

OP Offline
Originally Posted by 8IronBob
Whew, such a huge area... Lemme look. Are you looking for Byzantine Catholic? Ukrainian Greek-Catholic? A flavor of Orthodoxy? Being more specific in terms of which Church you'd wish to attend would be very helpful.

Byzantine/Greek Catholic. (I have already looked at Find-A-Parish but of the 4 active Manhattan parishes there, I am asking for opinions since I only get one shot at a Sunday DL.)

Hmm... Okay. I think I noticed there was a St. George's Ukrainian-Greek Catholic Church in Manhattan, here's the website to that: http://www.stgeorgeukrainianchurch.org/

Not sure if Ukrainian language DLs are your thing, but they do have an English DL apparently, on Sundays at 4 PM there.

Last edited by 8IronBob; 01/14/13 10:30 PM.
OP Offline
Hmm... Okay. I think I noticed there was a St. George's Ukrainian-Greek Catholic Church in Manhattan, here's the website to that: http://www.stgeorgeukrainianchurch.org/

Not sure if Ukrainian language DLs are your thing, but they do have an English DL apparently, on Sundays at 4 PM there.

Have you ever been there?

No, but I have been to UGCC Parishes, after all, we have St. Josaphat Cathedral here and they have an equal split of English and Ukrainian DLs throughout each weekend. The Saturday Vigil in English, and they alternate between Ukrainian and English on Sundays among their three Sunday DLs. I just judged their DLs by how they worded it in their schedule. I'm assuming it's Ukrainian unless otherwise noted. Might want to check to see which are in English, and which are in Ukrainian.

A
A
St. Mary's Byzantine Catholic Church - 246 East 15th St. NYC. Phone #212-677-0516. They don't have a website & I don't remember their Liturgy schedule.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Angel lady
St. Mary's Byzantine Catholic Church - 246 East 15th St. NYC. Phone #212-677-0516. They don't have a website & I don't remember their Liturgy schedule.

Hope,

First, thanks for using the Directory and for taking the time to discern which parishes are active biggrin (I know, it sounds patronizing, but you would be amazed at how many don't).

Angel Lady,

Actually, I just discovered that St Mary's now has a website [stmarysbyzantinenyc.com] - which I'll be adding to its directory entry. The Sunday Divine Liturgy is at 10:00am.

Hope, again ...

You actually only have 3 choices as Exaltation of the Holy Cross does not have a Sunday Divine Liturgy, unless something has changed recently.

If you're trying to plan your day, it may help to look at it this way -

7:00 St George
8:30 St George
10:00 St Mary Patronage
11:00 St Michael
12:00 St George

I can't speak to St George's or St Mary's, but St Michael's is a wonderfully welcoming and spiritually vibrant community. Fr Economos Roman (Russo), as well as a few other past and present members of the parish, posts here. There's a long history here of folks heartily recommending it as a parish to visit and at which to worship.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
OP Offline
I would like to go to St. Michael's but various online reviews have said that the Liturgy is all in Russian (?) (maybe Church Slavonic?) and that there are no pews. Heaven for me, not so much for the people attending with me. Oh, well, I'll warn them ahead of time. smile

S
S
No, the Liturgy at St. Michaels is entirely in English--there are very few Russians there. While there are no pews, there are chairs for those who need them.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by StuartK
No, the Liturgy at St. Michaels is entirely in English--there are very few Russians there. While there are no pews, there are chairs for those who need them.

Excellent. St. Michael's it is. I will report back with findings. smile

Here's another Church I found, which is from the Romanian Catholic Church, which I think uses the Church Slavonic language, unless it's all in English, too, over there. Not sure how far Long Island City is from Manhattan, but it's worth finding out about:

Originally Posted by Parishes in USA: RomanianCatholic.org
State of New York
New York City

St. Mary Mission
Administrator: Reverend Radu N. Titonea
Meeting at Holy Cross Church:
21-12 30th Street Long Island City, NY 11106-2802
Mailing Address:
11814 83rd Ave Apt. 2E
Kew Gardens NY 11415-1309
TEL: (347) 935-5378

http://www.romaniancatholic.org/directory/parishes-usa/

OP Offline
Here's another Church I found, which is from the Romanian Catholic Church, which I think uses the Church Slavonic language, unless it's all in English, too, over there. Not sure how far Long Island City is from Manhattan, but it's worth finding out about:

Originally Posted by Parishes in USA: RomanianCatholic.org
State of New York
New York City

St. Mary Mission
Administrator: Reverend Radu N. Titonea
Meeting at Holy Cross Church:
21-12 30th Street Long Island City, NY 11106-2802
Mailing Address:
11814 83rd Ave Apt. 2E
Kew Gardens NY 11415-1309
TEL: (347) 935-5378

http://www.romaniancatholic.org/directory/parishes-usa/

The only Romanian Catholic liturgies I have attended were with the nuns of Holy Theophany and they were beautiful. I don't plan to be on Long Island but if I am, I will try to find it.

Yeah, just sad the Romanian Catholic Church is so small in this country, though. What was it, like, only 20 parishes in the whole nation? I know we have St. Teresa's here in the Cleveland area (then again, you do have St. George's Cathedral, but that's, like, 50 miles south of here). I might try to make it to a DL at St. Teresa's at some point, I've always wondered how different the Romanian DL was from the Ukrainian and Ruthenian ones. Should be interesting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.