The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (NathanJA), 395 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
I
I
Originally Posted by mardukm
Originally Posted by Ialmisry
Another problem for Mardukm's interpretation: at the time he wrote this, Apb. (at the time priest) John Chrysostom was not in communion with the Pontiff Damasus and his successor Siricius at Rome.
There are several problems with your statement.
(1) John Chrysostom was not the bishop of Constantinople when he wrote "On the Priesthood." It was written when he was a deacon about 386.
Lord willing, I'll get to the rest (as I am working on the rest), but this caught my eye.

Yes, I'm aware of those facts. In fact, I mentioned in passing that he was not a bishop at the time. What makes you think that presents a problem for me?

It doesn't, btw.

I
I
I am working on the rest of the posts, but this stuck out for its oddity:
On the particular matter of Antioch, one will note that after his initial overtures to Pope St. Athanasius in 371 A.D., St. Basil basically gave up (St. Athanasius died in 377). But with regards to the bishop of Rome, St. Basil never gave up. Until his death at the very beginning of 379, he worked indefatigably to regularize relations between Rome and the Meletian party. It's obvious that from St. Basil's perspective, Rome's influence on the matter carried more weight than Alexandria's. But the High Petrine view does not assign to Rome singular, absolute influence - only that it is higher relative to others in a situation when its influence would be relevant and necessary (I believe more often than not, Rome's influence is both not relevant nor necessary).
I'll skip over the last part-which contradicts both what Ut Unum Sint and Pastor Aeternus say on the matter-which deals with generalities (to be dealt with in time, Lord willing), and get to specifics.

Why Rome's influence in the matter might carry more weight doesn't present a mystery: the Emperor at Rome (actually, Milan) confessed the Orthodox Faith and supported the Catholic Church, while heretics ruled at Constantinople over the East-including Alexandria-who persecuted the Church and exiled her bishops. How fast things moved-i.e. a matter of weeks-to secure Abp. St. Meletius on his throne in Antioch after the heretics were removed from the imperial throne underscores that.

In 376 Met. St. Basil writes that he had lost his patience with Rome in its safe haven, and reproaches its bishop for dictating to the Church instead of using his influence with the Emperor for good:
ST. BASIL OF CAESAREA

To Eusebius, bishop of Samosata.

1. The Lord has granted me the privilege of now saluting your holiness by our beloved and very reverend brother, the presbyter Antiochus, of exhorting you to pray for me as you are wont, and offering in our communication by letter some consolation for our long separation. And, when you pray, I ask you to beg from the Lord this as the first and greatest boon, that I may be delivered from vile and wicked men, who have gained such power over the people that now I seem to see, indeed, a repetition of the events of the taking of Jerusalem. For the weaker grow the Churches the more does men's lust for power increase. And now the very title of bishop has been conferred on wretched slaves, for no servant of God would choose to come forward in opposition to claim the see�no one but miserable fellows like the emissaries of Anysius the creature of Euippius, and of Ecdicius of Parnassus: whoever has appointed him has sent into the Churches a poor means of aiding his own entry into the life to come.

They have expelled my brother from Nyssa, and into his place have introduced hardly a man� a mere scamp worth only an obol or two, but, so far as regards the ruin of the faith, a match for those who have put him where he is.

At the town of Doara they have brought shame upon the poor name of bishop, and have sent there a wretch, an orphans' domestic, a runaway from his own masters, to flatter a godless woman, who formerly used George as she liked, and now has got this fellow to succeed him.

And who could properly lament the occurrences at Nicopolis? That unhappy Fronto did, indeed, for a while pretend to be on the side of the truth, but now he has shamefully betrayed both the faith and himself, and for the price of his betrayal has got a name of disgrace. He imagines that he has obtained from these men the rank of bishop; in reality he has become, by God's grace, the abomination of all Armenia. But there is nothing that they will not dare; nothing wherein they are at a loss for worthy accomplices. But the rest of the news of Syria my brother knows better, and can tell you better, than I.

2. The news of the West you know already, on the recital of brother Dorotheus. What sort of letters are to be given him on his departure? Perhaps he will travel with the excellent Sanctissimus, who is full of enthusiasm, journeying through the East, and collecting letters and signatures from all the men of mark. What ought to be written by them, or how I can come to an agreement with those who are writing, I do not know. If you hear of any one soon travelling my way, be so good as to let me know. I am moved to say, as Diomede said,

Would God, Atrides, your request were yet to undertake;
...he's proud enough.

Really lofty souls, when they are courted, get haughtier than ever. If the Lord be propitious to us, what other thing do we need? If the anger of the Lord lasts on, what help can come to us from the frown of the West? Men who do not know the truth, and do not wish to learn it, but are prejudiced by false suspicions, are doing now as they did in the case of Marcellus, when they quarrelled with men who told them the truth, and by their own action strengthened the cause of heresy. Apart from the common document, I should like to have written to their Coryph�us� nothing, indeed, about ecclesiastical affairs except gently to suggest that they know nothing of what is going on here, and will not accept the only means whereby they might learn it. I would say, generally, that they ought not to press hard on men who are crushed by trials. They must not take dignity for pride. Sin only avails to produce enmity against God.
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf208.ix.ccxl.html
Now, there's a reference to the bishop of Rome as "Coryph�us," as that "soul...haughtier than ever" refers to Abp. Damasus: it seems that the Emperor granting him the ancient imperial title "pontifex maximus" had gone to his head. Note too that Met. St. Basil points out that Abp. Damasus' spurns communion with Abp. St. Meltius, but communes with the heretic Marcellus of Ancyra, i.e. in the same Diocese as Met. St. Gregory. On Marcellus, St. Jerome reports him among the Illustrious Men (Chapter 85):
Marcellus, bishop of Ancyra, flourished in the reign of Constantinus and Constantius and wrote many volumes of various Propositions and especially against the Arians. Works of Asterius and Apollinarius against him are current, which accuse him of Sabellianism. Hilary too, in the seventh book of his work Against the Arians, mentions him as a heretic, but he defends himself against the charge through the fact that Julius and Athanasius bishops of Rome and Alexandria communed with him.

Btw, Pope St. Athanasius of Alexandria fell asleep in 373 (and we have a letter to him from Met. St. Basil on these matters from 372), not 377. In that latter year, however, Met. St. Basil did write to the successor to the see of Alexandria, then in exile in Rome:
ST. BASIL OF CAESAREA

To Petrus, bishop of Alexandria.
1. You have very properly rebuked me, and in a manner becoming a spiritual brother who has been taught genuine love by the Lord, because I am not giving you exact and detailed information of all that is going on here, for it is both your part to be interested in what concerns me, and mine to tell you all that concerns myself. But I must tell you, right honourable and well-beloved brother, that our continuous afflictions, and this mighty agitation which is now shaking the Churches, result in my taking all that is happening as a matter of course. Just as in smithies where men whose ears are deafened get accustomed to the sound, so by the frequency of the strange tidings that reach me I have now grown accustomed to be undisturbed and undismayed at extraordinary events. So the policy which has been for a long time pursued by the Arians to the detriment of the Church, although their achievements have been many and great and noised abroad through all the world, has nevertheless been endurable to me, because of their being the work of open foes and enemies of the word of truth. It is when these men do something unusual that I am astonished, not when they attempt something great and audacious against true religion. But I am grieved and troubled at what is being done by men who feel and think with me. Yet their doings are so frequent and so constantly reported to me, that even they do not appear surprising. So it comes about that I was not agitated at the recent disorderly proceedings, partly because I knew perfectly well that common report would carry them to you without my help, and partly because I preferred to wait for somebody else to give you disagreeable news. And yet, further, I did not think it reasonable that I should show indignation at such proceedings, as though I were annoyed at suffering a slight. To the actual agents in the matter I have written in becoming terms, exhorting them, because of the dissension arising among some of the brethren there, not to fall away from charity, but to wait for the matter to be set right by those who have authority to remedy disorders in due ecclesiastical form. That you should have so acted, stirred by honourable and becoming motives, calls for my commendation, and moves my gratitude to the Lord that there remains preserved in you a relic of the ancient discipline, and that the Church has not lost her own might in my persecution. The canons have not suffered persecution as well as I. Though importuned again by the Galatians, I was never able to give them an answer, because I waited for your decision. Now, if the Lord so will and they will consent to listen to me, I hope that I shall be able to bring the people to the Church. It cannot then be cast in my teeth that I have gone over to the Marcellians, and they on the contrary will become limbs of the body of the Church of Christ. Thus the disgrace caused by heresy will be made to disappear by the method I adopt, and I shall escape the opprobrium of having gone over to them.

2. I have also been grieved by our brother Dorotheus, because, as he has himself written, he has not gently and mildly reported everything to your excellency. I set this down to the difficulty of the times. I seem to be deprived by my sins of all success in my undertakings, if indeed the best of my brethren are proved ill-disposed and incompetent, by their failure to perform their duties in accordance with my wishes. On his return Dorotheus reported to me the conversation which he had had with your excellency in the presence of the very venerable bishop Damasus, and he caused me distress by saying that our God-beloved brethren and fellow-ministers, Meletius and Eusebius, had been reckoned among the Ariomaniacs. If their orthodoxy were established by nothing else, the attacks made upon them by the Arians are, to the minds of all right thinking people, no small proof of their rectitude. Even your participation with them in sufferings endured for Christ's sake ought to unite your reverence to them in love. Be assured of this, right honourable sir, that there is no word of orthodoxy which has not been proclaimed by these men with all boldness. God is my witness. I have heard them myself. I should not certainly have now admitted them to communion, if I had caught them tripping in the faith. But, if it seem good to you, let us leave the past alone. Let us make a peaceful start for the future. For we have need one of another in the fellowship of the members, and specially now, when the Churches of the East are looking to us, and will take your agreement as a pledge of strength and consolidation. If, on the other hand, they perceive that you are in a state of mutual suspicion, they will drop their hands, and slacken in their resistance to the enemies of the faith.
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf208.ix.cclxvii.html
Note that here Met. St. Basil is writing overtures to Pope St. Peter, although the latter is living in exile from his see with Abp. Damusus in Rome. It's obvious that from St. Basil's perspective, Rome's influence on the matter carried no more weight than Alexandria's, as Met. St. Basil praises Pope Peter in the letter for his guidance and instruction, but reproaches Abp. Damasus for the latter's ill-disposition and incompetence for failing to perform his duties in accordance with Met. St. Basil's wishes.

Met. St. Basil wrote to a number of bishops in exile, including Bps. Eulogios, Alexander and Harpocration, suffragans of Pope St. Peter, on these matters. He also wrote many letters to "the Westerners," including one addressed to "the bishops of Gaul and Italy" (in that order): are you going to tell us that he was speaking, as a prophet, of Avignon?

From what St. Basil says, one wonders if the issue of St. Meletius is one of those "certain painful recollections" that Ut Unum Sint refers to. "When circumstances require it, he speaks in the name of all the Pastors in communion with him," so Ut Unum Sint tells us: what does that say of shunning communion with Abp. St. Meletius and embracing communion with Marcellus, as Met. St. Basil points out? "By thus bearing witness to the truth, he serves unity," so Ut Unum Sint tells us: what of when he is wrong, or "proved ill disposed and incompetent," as Met. St. Basil says of Abp. St. Damasus of Rome?

Last edited by IAlmisry; 02/14/13 04:33 PM.
I
I
I responded to the first part in the new thread "Orthodoxy and the Vatican Papacy: Abp. St. Meletius of Antioch," but the later part might be answered here.
So the Council of Constantinople (don't pretend it was ecumenical at the time) intruded another into the See, despite the wishes of St. Meletius and Pope St. Damasus.
So much for Pastor Aeternus. At the time, it was made quite clear that his wishes were not dispositive.
The ones who exacerbated the schism were the ones who installed a member of the Meletian party at the Church of Antioch, breaking the oath made by both parties. So basically, your best argument is to support the breaking of oaths and causing the continuation of schism. I'd agree with you - Pastor Aeternus opposes such aberrations in the Chuch of God, and has nothing to do with that. This reminds me of the arguments I've encountered from certain non-Catholics, using St. Cyprian's opposition to Pope St. Stephen, and the rejection of the Council of Sardica by most Easterns at the time, as proof against the primacy of the bishop of Rome. But St. Cyprian was wrong on the matter on which he opposed Pope St. Stephen, and the Easterns who rejected Sardica were heretics.
Not quite. Sardica was held as an Ecumenical Council, and it was approved by the authority Pastor Aeternus says has to confirm it. However, Pope St. Athanasius wasn't the only one exonerated at Sardica: the Council also exonerated Marcellus of Ancyra and put him back in his see. The same Marcellus that the letters of Met. St. Basil-posted in the ""Orthodoxy and the Vatican Papacy: Abp. St. Meletius of Antioch" thread-condemned as a heretic and reproached him whom Pastor Aeternus makes the judge and guardian of orthodoxy and Ut Unum Sint charges with responsibility for the unity of the Catholic Church, i.e. the bishop of Rome St. Damasus, for communing with the same Marcellus-while refusing communion with Abp. St. Meletius, the rightful bishop of Antioch.
Socrates Scholasticus, Bk. II
Chapter 20. Of the Council at Sardica.
The Western prelates on account of their being of another language, and not understanding this exposition, would not admit of it; saying that the Nicene Creed was sufficient, and that they would not waste time on anything beyond it. But when the emperor had again written to insist on the restoration to Paul and Athanasius of their respective sees, but without effect in consequence of the continual agitation of the people� these two bishops demanded that another Synod should be convened, so that their case, as well as other questions in relation to the faith might be settled by an ecumenical council, for they made it obvious that their deposition arose from no other cause than that the faith might be the more easily perverted. Another general council was therefore summoned to meet at Sardica,� a city of Illyricum�by the joint authority of the two emperors; the one requesting by letter that it might be so, and the other, of the East, readily acquiescing in it. It was the eleventh year after the death of the father of the two Augusti, during the consulship of Rufinus and Eusebius, that the Synod of Sardica met. According to the statement of Athanasius about 300 bishops from the western parts of the empire were present; but Sabinus says there came only seventy from the eastern parts, among whom was Ischyras of Mareotes, who had been ordained bishop of that country by those who deposed Athanasius. Of the rest, some pretended infirmity of body; others complained of the shortness of the notice given, casting the blame of it on Julius, bishop of Rome, although a year and a half had elapsed from the time of its having been summoned: in which interval Athanasius remained at Rome awaiting the assembling of the Synod. When at last they were convened at Sardica, the Eastern prelates refused either to meet or to enter into any conference with those of the West, unless they first excluded Athanasius and Paul from the convention. But as Protogenes, bishop of Sardica, and Hosius, bishop of Cordova, a city in Spain, would by no means permit them to be absent, the Eastern bishops immediately withdrew, and returning to Philippopolis in Thrace, held a separate council, wherein they openly anathematized the term homoousios; and having introduced the Anomoian opinion into their epistles, they sent them in all directions. On the other hand those who remained at Sardica, condemning in the first place their departure, afterwards divested the accusers of Athanasius of their dignity; then confirming the Nicene Creed, and rejecting the term anomoion, they more distinctly recognized the doctrine of consubstantiality, which they also inserted in epistles addressed to all the churches. Both parties believed they had acted rightly: those of the East, because the Western bishops had countenanced those whom they had deposed; and these again, in consequence not only of the retirement of those who had deposed them before the matter had been examined into, but also because they themselves were the defenders of the Nicene faith, which the other party had dared to adulterate. They therefore restored to Paul and Athanasius their sees, and also Marcellus of Ancyra in Lesser Galatia, who had been deposed long before, as we have stated in the former book.
Chapter 36. Of Marcellus Bishop of Ancyra, and Asterius the Sophist.

The bishops assembled at Constantinople deposed also Marcellus bishop of Ancyra, a city of Galatia Minor, on this account. A certain rhetorician of Cappadocia named Asterius having abandoned his art, and professed himself a convert to Christianity, undertook the composition of some treatises, which are still extant, in which he commended the dogmas of Arius; asserting that Christ is the power of God, in the same sense as the locust and the palmer-worm are said by Moses to be the power of God, Joel 2:25 with other similar utterances. Now Asterius was in constant association with the bishops, and especially with those of their number who did not discountenance the Arian doctrine: he also attended their Synods, in the hope of insinuating himself into the bishopric of some city: but he failed to obtain ordination, in consequence of having sacrificed during the persecution. Going therefore throughout the cities of Syria, he read in public the books which he had composed. Marcellus being informed of this, and wishing to counteract his influence, in his over-anxiety to confute him, fell into the diametrically opposite error; for he dared to say, as the Samosatene had done, that Christ was a mere man. When the bishops then convened at Jerusalem had intelligence of these things, they took no notice of Asterius, because he was not enrolled even in the catalogue of ordained priests; but they insisted that Marcellus, as a priest, should give an account of the book which he had written. Finding that he entertained Paul of Samosata's sentiments, they required him to retract his opinion; and he being thoroughly ashamed of himself, promised to burn his book. But the convention of bishops being hastily dissolved by the emperor's summoning them to Constantinople, the Eusebians on their arrival at that city, again took the case of Marcellus into consideration; and as Marcellus refused to fulfil his promise of burning his untimely book, those present deposed him, and sent Basil into Ancyra in his stead. Moreover Eusebius wrote a refutation of this work in three books, in which he exposed its erroneous doctrine. Marcellus however was afterwards reinstated in his bishopric by the Synod at Sardica, on his assurance that his book had been misunderstood, and that on that account he was supposed to favor the Samosatene's views. But of this we shall speak more fully in its proper place.
At that time indeed he exerted himself to the utmost to procure the revocation of the sentence pronounced against him, declaring that his being suspected of entertaining the error of Paul of Samosata arose from a misunderstanding of some expressions in his book. It must, however, be noticed that Eusebius Pamphilus wrote three entire books against Marcellus, in which he quotes that author's own words to prove that he asserts with Sabellius the Libyan, and Paul of Samosata, that the Lord [Jesus] was a mere man.

Sozomen Bk. III:
Chapter 11. The Long Formulary and the Enactments issued by the Synod of Sardica. Julius, Bishop of Rome, and Hosius, the Spanish Bishop, deposed by the Bishops of the East, because they held Communion with Athanasius and the Rest.

Three years afterwards, the bishops of the East sent to those of the West a formulary of faith, which, because it had been framed with verbiage and thoughts in excess of any former confession, was called μακρόστιχος ἔκθεσις . In this formulary they made no mention of the substance of God, but those are excommunicated who maintain that the Son arose out of what had no previous existence, or that He is of Another hypostasis, and not of God, or that there was a time or an age in which He existed not. Eudoxius, who was still bishop of Germanicia, Martyrius, and Macedonius, carried this document, but the Western priests did not entertain it; for they declared that they felt fully satisfied with the doctrines established at Nic�a, and thought it entirely unnecessary to be too curious about such points.

After the Emperor Constans had requested his brother to reinstate the followers of Athanasius in their sees, and had found his application to be unavailing, on account of the counteracting influence of those who adopted a hostile heresy; and when, moreover, the party of Athanasius and Paul entreated Constans to assemble a Synod on account of the plots for the abolition of orthodox doctrines, both the emperors were of the opinion that the bishops of the East and of the West should be convened on a certain day at Sardica, a city of Illyria. The bishops of the East, who had previously assembled at Philippopolis, a city of Thrace, wrote to the bishops of the West, who had already assembled at Sardica, that they would not join them, unless they would eject the followers of Athanasius from their assembly, and from communion with them, because they had been deposed. They afterwards went to Sardica, but declared they would not enter the church, while those who had been deposed by them were admitted there. The bishops of the West replied, that they never had ejected them, and that they would not yield this now, particularly as Julius, bishop of Rome, after having investigated the case, had not condemned them, and that besides, they were present and ready to justify themselves and to refute again the offenses imputed to them. These declarations, however, were of no avail; and since the time they had appointed for the adjustment of their differences, concerning which they had convened, had expired, they finally wrote letters to one another on these points, and by these they were led to an increase of their previous ill-will. And after they had convened separately, they brought forward opposite decisions; for the Eastern bishops confirmed the sentences they had already enacted against Athanasius, Paul, Marcellus, and Asclepas, and deposed Julius, bishop of Rome, because he had been the first to admit those who had been condemned by them, into communion; and Hosius, the confessor, was also deposed, partly for the same reason, and partly because he was the friend of Paulinus and Eustathius, the rulers of the church in Antioch. Maximus, bishop of Treves, was deposed, because he had been among the first who had received Paul into communion, and had been the cause of his returning to Constantinople, and because he had excluded from communion the Eastern bishops who had repaired to Gaul. Besides the above, they likewise deposed Protogenes, bishop of Sardica, and Gaudentius; the one because he favored Marcellus, although he had previously condemned him, and the other because he had adopted a different line of conduct from that of Cyriacus, his predecessor, and had supported many individuals then deposed by them. After issuing these sentences, they made known to the bishops of every region, that they were not to hold communion with those who were deposed, and that they were not to write to them, nor to receive letters from them. They likewise commanded them to believe what was said concerning God in the formulary which they subjoined to their letter, and in which no mention was made of the term consubstantial, but in which, those were excommunicated who said there are three Gods, or that Christ is not God, or that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are the same, or that the Son is unbegotten, or that there was a time or an age in which He existed not.

Chapter 12. The Bishops of the Party of Julius and Hosius held another Session and deposed the Eastern High Priests, and also made a Formulary of Faith.

The adherents of Hosius, in the meantime, assembled together, and declared them innocent: Athanasius, because unjust machinations had been carried on against him by those who had convened at Tyre; and Marcellus, because he did not hold the opinions with which he was charged; and Asclepas, because he had been re-established in his diocese by the vote of Eusebius Pamphilus and of many other judges; that this was true he proved by the records of the trial; and lastly, Lucius, because his accusers had fled. They wrote to the parishes of each of the acquitted, commanding them to receive and recognize their bishops. They stated that Gregory had not been nominated by them bishop of Alexandria; nor Basil, bishop of Ancyra; nor Quintianus, bishop of Gaza; and that they had not received these men into communion, and did not even account them Christians. They deposed from the episcopates, Theodore, bishop of Thrace; Narcissus, bishop of Irenopolis; Acacius, bishop of C�sarea, in Palestine; Menophantus, bishop of Ephesus; Ursacius, bishop of Sigidunus in M�sia; Valens, bishop of Mursia in Pannonia; and George, bishop of Laodicea, although this latter had not attended the Synod with the Eastern bishops. They ejected the above-named individuals from the priesthood and from communion, because they separated the Son from the substance of the Father, and had received those who had been formerly deposed on account of their holding the Arian heresy, and had, moreover, promoted them to the highest offices in the service of God. After they had excided them for these perversions and decreed them to be aliens to the Catholic Church, they afterwards wrote to the bishops of every nation, commanding them to confirm these decrees, and to be of one mind on doctrinal subjects with themselves. They likewise compiled another document of faith, which was more copious than that of Nic�a, although the same thought was carefully preserved, and very little change was made in the words of that instrument. Hosius and Protogenes, who held the first rank among the Western bishops assembled at Sardica, fearing perhaps lest they should be suspected of making any innovations upon the doctrines of the Nicene council, wrote to Julius, and testified that they were firmly attached to these doctrines, but, pressed by the need of perspicuity, they had to expand the identical thought, in order that the Arians might not take advantage of the brevity of the document, to draw those who were unskilled in dialectics into some absurdity. When what I have related had been transacted by each party, the conference was dissolved, and the members returned to their respective homes. This Synod was held during the consulate of Rufinus and Eusebius, and about eleven years after the death of Constantine. There were about three hundred bishops of cities in the West, and upwards of seventy-six Eastern bishops, among whom was Ischyrion, who had been appointed bishop of Mareotis by the enemies of Athanasius.

Chapter 13. After the Synod, the East and the West are separated; the West nobly adheres to the Faith of the Nicene Council, while the East is disturbed by Contention here and there over this Dogma.

After this Synod, the Eastern and the Western churches ceased to maintain the intercourse which usually exists among people of the same faith, and refrained from holding communion with each other. The Christians of the West separated themselves from all as far as Thrace; those of the East as far as Illyria. This divided state of the churches was mixed, as might be supposed, with dissentient views and calumnies. Although they had previously differed on doctrinal subjects, yet the evil had attained no great height, for they had still held communion together and were wont to have kindred feelings. The Church throughout the whole of the West in its entirety regulated itself by the doctrines of the Fathers, and kept aloof from all contentions and hair-splitting about dogma. Although Auxentius, who had become bishop of Milan, and Valens and Ursacius, bishops of Pannonia, had endeavored to lead that part of the empire into the Arian doctrines, their efforts had been carefully anticipated by the president of the Roman see and the other priests, who cut out the seeds of such a troublesome heresy. As to the Eastern Church, although it had been racked by dissension since the time of the council of Antioch, and although it had already openly differed from the Nic�an form of belief, yet I think it is true that the opinion of the majority united in the same thought, and confessed the Son to be of the substance of the Father. There were some, however, who were fond of wrangling and battled against the term consubstantial for those who had been opposed to the word at the beginning, thought, as I infer, and as happens to most people, that it would be a disgrace to appear as conquered. Others were finally convinced of the truth of the doctrines concerning God, by the habit of frequent disputation on these themes, and ever afterwards continued firmly attached to them. Others again, being aware that contentions ought not to arise, inclined toward that which was gratifying to each of the sides, on account of the influence, either of friendship or they were swayed by the various causes which often induce men to embrace what they ought to reject, and to act without boldness, in circumstances which require thorough conviction. Many others, accounting it absurd to consume their time in altercations about words, quietly adopted the sentiments inculcated by the council of Nic�a. Paul, bishop of Constantinople, Athanasius, bishop of Alexandria, the entire multitude of monks, Antony the Great, who still survived, his disciples, and a great number of Egyptians and of other places in the Roman territory, firmly and openly maintained the doctrines of the Nic�an council throughout the other regions of the East. As I have been led to allude to the monks, I shall briefly mention those who flourished during the reign of Constantius.
Theodoret, Church History, Bk. II:
Chapter 6. Council held at Sardica

Two hundred and fifty bishops assembled at Sardica , as is proved by ancient records. The great Athanasius, Asclepas, bishop of Gaza, already mentioned , and Marcellus , bishop of Ancyra, the metropolis of Galatia, who also held this bishopric at the time of the council of Nic�a, all repaired there. The calumniators, and the chiefs of the Arian faction, who had previously judged the cause of Athanasius, also attended. But when they found that the members of the synod were staunch in their adherence to sound doctrine, they would not even enter the council, although they had been summoned to it, but fled away, both accusers and judges. All these circumstances are far more clearly explained in a letter drawn up by the council; and I shall therefore now insert it.

Synodical Letter from the Bishops assembled at Sardica, addressed to the other Bishops.

The holy council assembled at Sardica, from Rome, Spain, Gaul, Italy, Campania, Calabria, Africa, Sardinia, Pannonia, M�sia, Dacia, Dardania, Lesser Dacia, Macedonia, Thessaly, Achaia, Epirus, Thrace, Rhodope, Asia, Caria, Bithynia, the Hellespont, Phrygia, Pisidia, Cappadocia, Pontus, the lesser Phrygia, Cilicia, Pamphylia, Lydia, the Cyclades, Egypt, the Thebaid, Libya, Galatia, Palestine and Arabia, to the bishops throughout the world, our fellow-ministers in the catholic and apostolic Church, and our beloved brethren in the Lord. Peace be unto you.

The madness of the Arians has often led them to the perpetration of violent atrocities against the servants of God who keep the true faith; they introduce false doctrines themselves, and persecute those who uphold orthodox principles. So violent were their attacks on the faith, that they reached the ears of our most pious emperors. Through the co-operation of the grace of God, the emperors have summoned us from different provinces and cities to the holy council which they have appointed to be held in the city of Sardica, in order that all dissensions may be terminated, all evil doctrines expelled, and the religion of Christ alone maintained among all people. Some bishops from the east have attended the council at the solicitation of our most religious emperors, principally on account of the reports circulated against our beloved brethren and fellow-ministers, Athanasius, bishop of Alexandria, Marcellus, bishop of Ancyra in Galatia, and Asclepas, bishop of Gaza. Perhaps the calumnies of the Arians have already reached you, and they have endeavoured thus to forestall the council, and make you believe their groundless accusations of the innocent, and prevent any suspicion being raised of the depraved heresy which they uphold. But they have not long been permitted so to act. The Lord is the Protector of the churches; for them and for us all He suffered death, and opened for us the way to heaven.

The adherents of Eusebius, Maris, Theodorus, Theognis, Ursacius, Valens, Menophantus, and Stephanus, had already written to Julius, the bishop of Rome, and our fellow-minister, against our aforesaid fellow-ministers, Athanasius, bishop of Alexandria, Marcellus, bishop of Ancyra in Galatia, and Asclepas, bishop of Gaza. Some bishops of the opposite party wrote also to Julius, testifying to the innocence of Athanasius, and proving that all that had been asserted by the followers of Eusebius was nothing more than lies and slander. The refusal of the Arians to obey the summons of our beloved brother and fellow-ruler, Julius, and also the letter written by that bishop, clearly prove the falseness of their accusation. For, had they believed that what they had done and represented against our fellow-minister admitted of justification, they would have gone to Rome. But their mode of procedure in this great and holy council is a manifest proof of their fraud. Upon their arrival at Sardica, they perceived that our brethren, Athanasius, Marcellus, Asclepas, and others, were there also; they were therefore afraid to come to the test, although they had been summoned, not once or twice only, but repeatedly. There were they waited for by the assembled bishops, particularly by the venerable Hosius, one worthy of all honour and respect, on account of his advanced age, his adherence to the faith, and his labours for the church. All urged them to join the assembly and avail themselves of the opportunity of proving, in the presence of their fellow-ministers, the truth of the charges they had brought against them in their absence, both by word and by letter. But they refused to obey the summons, as we have already stated, and so by their excesses proved the falsity of their statements, and all but proclaimed aloud the plot and schemes they had formed. Men confident of the truth of their assertions are always ready to stand to them openly. But as these accusers would not appear to substantiate what they had advanced, any future allegations which they may by their usual artifices bring against our fellow-ministers, will only be regarded as proceeding from a desire of slandering them in their absence, without the courage to confront them openly.

They fled, beloved brethren, not only because their charges were slander, but also because they saw men arrive with serious and manifold accusations against themselves. Chains and fetters were produced. Some were present whom they had exiled: others came forward as representatives of those still kept in exile. There stood relations and friends of men whom they had put to death. Most serious of all, bishops also appeared, one of whom exhibited the irons and the chains with which they had laden him. Others testified that death followed their false charges. For their infatuation had led them so far as even to attempt the life of a bishop; and he would have been killed had he not escaped from their hands. Theodulus , our fellow-minister, of blessed memory, passed hence with their calumny on his name; for, through it, he had been condemned to death. Some showed the wounds which had been inflicted on them by the sword; others deposed that they had been exposed to the miseries of famine.

All these depositions were made, not by a few obscure individuals, but by whole churches; the presbyters of these churches giving evidence that the persecutors had armed the military against them with swords, and the common people with clubs; had employed judicial threats, and produced spurious documents. The letters written by Theognis, for the purpose of prejudicing the emperor against our fellow-ministers, Athanasius, Marcellus, and Asclepas, were read and attested by those who had formerly been the deacons of Theognis. It was also proved that they had stripped virgins naked, had burnt churches, and imprisoned our fellow-ministers, and all because of the infamous heresy of the Ariomaniacs. For thus all who refused to make common cause with them were treated.

The consciousness of having committed all these crimes placed them in great straits. Ashamed of their deeds, which could no longer be concealed, they repaired to Sardica, thinking that their boldness in venturing there would remove all suspicion of their guilt. But when they perceived the presence of those whom they had falsely accused, and of those who had suffered from their cruelty; and that likewise several had come with irrefragable accusations against them, they would not enter the council. Our fellow-ministers, on the other hand, Athanasius, Marcellus, and Asclepas, took every means to induce them to attend, by tears, by urgency, by challenge, promising not only to prove the falsity of their accusations, but also to show how deeply they had injured their own churches. But they were so overwhelmed by the consciousness of their own evil deeds, that they took to flight, and by this flight clearly proved the falsity of their accusations as well as their own guilt.

But though their calumny and perfidy, which had indeed been apparent from the beginning, were now clearly perceived, yet we determined to examine the circumstances of the case according to the laws of truth, lest they should, from their very flight, derive pretexts for renewed acts of deceitfulness.

Upon carrying this resolution into effect, we proved by their actions that they were false accusers, and that they had formed plots against our fellow-ministers. Arsenius, whom they declared had been put to death by Athanasius, is still alive, and takes his place among the living. This fact alone is sufficient to show that their other allegations are false.

Although they spread a report everywhere that a chalice had been broken by Macarius, one of the presbyters of Athanasius, yet those who came from Alexandria, from Mareotis, and from other places, testified that this was not the fact; and the bishops in Egypt wrote to Julius, our fellow-minister, declaring that there was not the least suspicion that such a deed had been done. The judicial facts which the Arians assert they possess against Macarius have been all drawn up by one party; and in these documents the depositions of pagans and of catechumens were included. One of these catechumens, when interrogated, replied that he was in the church on the entry of Macarius. Another deposed that Ischyras, whom they had talked about so much, was then lying ill in his cell. Hence it appears that the mysteries could not have been celebrated at that time, as the catechumens were present, and as Ischyras was absent; for he was at that very time confined by illness. Ischyras, that wicked man who had falsely affirmed that Athanasius had burnt some of the sacred books, and had been convicted of the crime, now confessed that he was ill in bed when Macarius arrived; hence the falsehood of his accusation was clearly demonstrated. His calumny was, however, rewarded by his party; they gave him the title of a bishop, although he was not yet even a presbyter. For two presbyters came to the synod, who some time back had been attached to Meletius, and were afterwards received back by the blessed Alexander, bishop of Alexandria, and are now with Athanasius, protesting that he had never been ordained a presbyter, and that Meletius had never had any church, or employed any minister in Mareotis. Yet, although he had never been ordained a presbyter, they promote him to a bishopric, in order that his title may impose upon those who hear his false accusations.
The writings of our fellow-minister, Marcellus, were also read, and plainly evinced the duplicity of the adherents of Eusebius; for what Marcellus had simply suggested as a point of inquiry, they accused him of professing as a point of faith. The statements which he had made, both before and after the inquiry, were read, and his faith was proved to be orthodox. He did not affirm, as they represented, that the beginning of the Word of God was dated from His conception by the holy Mary, or that His kingdom would have an end. On the contrary, he wrote that His kingdom had had no beginning, and would have no end. Asclepas, our fellow-minister, produced the reports drawn up at Antioch in the presence of the accusers, and of Eusebius, bishop of C�sarea, and proved his innocence by the sentence of the bishops who had presided as judges.

It was not then without cause, beloved brethren, that, although so frequently summoned, they would not attend the council; it was not without cause that they took to flight. The reproaches of conscience constrained them to make their escape, and thus, at the same time, to demonstrate the groundlessness of their calumnies, and the truth of those accusations which were advanced and proved against them. Besides all the other grounds of complaint, it may be added that all those who had been accused of holding the Arian heresy, and had been ejected in consequence, were not only received, but advanced to the highest dignities by them. They raised deacons to the presbyterate, and thence to the episcopate; and in all this they were actuated by no other motive than the desire of propagating and diffusing their heresy, and of corrupting the true faith.

Next to Eusebius, the following are their principal leaders; Theodorus, bishop of Heraclea, Narcissus, bishop of Neronias in Cilicia, Stephanus, bishop of Antioch, Georgius , bishop of Laodicea, Acacius , bishop of C�sarea in Palestine, Menophantus, bishop of Ephesus in Asia, Ursacius, bishop of Singidunum in M�sia, and Valens, bishop of Mursa in Pannonia. These bishops forbade those who came with them from the east to attend the holy council, or to unite with the Church of God. On their road to Sardica they held private assemblies at different places, and formed a compact cemented by threats, that, when they arrived in Sardica, they would not join the holy council, nor assist at its deliberations; arranging that, as soon as they had arrived they should present themselves for form's sake, and immediately betake themselves to flight. These facts were made known to us by our fellow-ministers, Macarius of Palestine , and Asterius of Arabia , who came with them to Sardica, but refused to share their unorthodoxy. These bishops complained before the holy council of the violent treatment they had received from them, and of the want of right principles evinced in all their transactions. They added that there were many among them who still held orthodox opinions, but that these were prevented from going to the council; and that sometimes threats, sometimes promises, were resorted to, in order to retain them in that party. For this reason they were compelled to reside together in one house; and never allowed, even for the shortest space of time, to be alone.

It is not right to pass over in silence and without rebuke the calumnies, the imprisonments, the murders, the stripes, the forged letters, the indignities, the stripping naked of virgins, the banishments, the destruction of churches, the acts of incendiarism, the translation of bishops from small towns to large dioceses, and above all, the ill-starred Arian heresy, raised by their means against the true faith. For these causes, therefore, we declare the innocence and purity of our beloved brethren and fellow-ministers, Athanasius, bishop of Alexandria, Marcellus, bishop of Ancyra in Galatia, and Asclepas, bishop of Gaza, and of all the other servants of God who are with them; and we have written to each of their dioceses, in order that the people of each church may be made acquainted with the innocence of their respective bishops, and that they may recognise them alone and wait for their return. Men who have come down on their churches like wolves , such as Gregorius in Alexandria, Basilius in Ancyra, and Quintianus in Gaza, we charge them not even to call bishops, nor yet Christians, nor to have any communion with them, nor to receive any letters from them, nor to write to them.

Theodorus, bishop of Heraclea in Europe, Narcissus, bishop of Neronias in Cilicia, Acacius, bishop of C�sarea in Palestine, Stephanus, bishop of Antioch, Ursacius, bishop of Singidunum in M�sia, Valens, bishop of Mursa in Pannonia, Menophantus, bishop of Ephesus, and Georgius, bishop of Laodicea (for though fear kept him from leaving the East, he has been deposed by the blessed Alexander, bishop of Alexandria, and has imbibed the infatuation of the Arians), have on account of their various crimes been cast forth from their bishoprics by the unanimous decision of the holy council. We have decreed that they are not only not to be regarded as bishops, but to be refused communion with us. For those who separate the Son from the substance and divinity of the Father, and alienate the Word from the Father, ought to be separated from the Catholic Church, and alienated from all who bear the name of Christians. Let them then be anathema to you, and to all the faithful, because they have corrupted the word of truth. For the apostle's precept enjoins, if any one should bring to you another gospel than that which you have received, let him be accursed. Command that no one hold communion with them; for light can have no fellowship with darkness. Keep far off from them; for what concord has Christ with Belial? Be careful, beloved brethren, that you neither write to them nor receive their letters. Endeavour, beloved brethren and fellow-ministers, as though present with us in spirit at the council, to give your hearty consent to what is enacted, and affix to it your written signature, for the sake of preserving unanimity of opinion among all our fellow-ministers throughout the world.
We declare those men excommunicate from the Catholic Church who say that Christ is God, but not the true God; that He is the Son, but not the true Son; and that He is both begotten and made; for such persons acknowledge that they understand by the term 'begotten,' that which has been made; and because, although the Son of God existed before all ages, they attribute to Him, who exists not in time but before all time, a beginning and an end.
Valens and Ursacius have, like two vipers brought forth by an asp, proceeded from the Arian heresy. For they boastingly declare themselves to be undoubted Christians, and yet affirm that the Word and the Holy Ghost were both crucified and slain, and that they died and rose again; and they pertinaciously maintain, like the heretics, that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are of diverse and distinct essences. We have been taught, and we hold the catholic and apostolic tradition and faith and confession which teach, that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost have one essence, which is termed substance by the heretics. If it is asked, 'What is the essence of the Son.' we confess, that it is that which is acknowledged to be that of the Father alone; for the Father has never been, nor could ever be, without the Son, nor the Son without the Father. It is most absurd to affirm that the Father ever existed without the Son, for that this could never be so has been testified by the Son Himself, who said, ' I am in the Father, and the Father in Me ;' and ' I and My Father are one. ' None of us denies that He was begotten; but we say that He was begotten before all things, whether visible or invisible; and that He is the Creator of archangels and angels, and of the world, and of the human race. It is written, ' Wisdom which is the worker of all things taught me ,' and again, ' All things were made by Him. '

He could not have existed always if He had had a beginning, for the everlasting Word has no beginning, and God will never have an end. We do not say that the Father is Son, nor that the Son is Father; but that the Father is Father, and the Son of the Father Son. We confess that the Son is Power of the Father. We confess that the Word is Word of God the Father, and that beside Him there is no other. We believe the Word to be the true God, and Wisdom and Power. We affirm that He is truly the Son, yet not in the way in which others are said to be sons: for they are either gods by reason of their regeneration, or are called sons of God on account of their merit, and not on account of their being of one essence , as is the case with the Father and the Son. We confess an Only-begotten and a Firstborn; but that the Word is only-begotten, who ever was and is in the Father. We use the word firstborn with respect to His human nature. But He is superior (to man) in the new creation (of the Resurrection), inasmuch as He is the Firstborn from the dead.

We confess that God is; we confess the divinity of the Father and of the Son to be one. No one denies that the Father is greater than the Son: not on account of another essence , nor yet on account of their difference, but simply from the very name of the Father being greater than that of the Son. The words uttered by our Lord, ' I and My Father are one ,' are by those men explained as referring to the concord and harmony which prevail between the Father and the Son; but this is a blasphemous and perverse interpretation. We, as Catholics, unanimously condemned this foolish and lamentable opinion: for just as mortal men on a difference having arisen between them quarrel and afterwards are reconciled, so do such interpreters say that disputes and dissension are liable to arise between God the Father Almighty and His Son; a supposition which is altogether absurd and untenable. But we believe and maintain that those holy words, ' I and My Father are one,' point out the oneness of essence which is one and the same in the Father and in the Son.

We also believe that the Son reigns with the Father, that His reign has neither beginning nor end, and that it is not bounded by time, nor can ever cease: for that which always exists never begins to be, and can never cease.

We believe in and we receive the Holy Ghost the Comforter, whom the Lord both promised and sent. We believe in It as sent.

It was not the Holy Ghost who suffered, but the manhood with which He clothed Himself; which He took from the Virgin Mary, which being man was capable of suffering; for man is mortal, whereas God is immortal. We believe that on the third day He rose, the man in God, not God in the man; and that He brought as a gift to His Father the manhood which He had delivered from sin and corruption.

We believe that, at a meet and fixed time, He Himself will judge all men and all their deeds.

So great is the ignorance and mental darkness of those whom we have mentioned, that they are unable to see the light of truth. They cannot comprehend the meaning of the words: ' that they may be one in us. ' It is obvious why the word ' one' was used; it was because the apostles received the Holy Spirit of God, and yet there were none among them who were the Spirit, neither was there any one of them who was Word, Wisdom, Power, or Only-begotten. ' As You,' He said, ' and I are one, that they, may be one in us.' These holy words, ' that they may be one in us,' are strictly accurate: for the Lord did not say, 'one in the same way that I and the Father are one,' but He said, 'that the disciples, being knit together and united, may be one in faith and in confession, and so in the grace and piety of God the Father, and by the indulgence and love of our Lord Jesus Christ, may be able to become one.'

From this letter may be learned the duplicity of the calumniators, and the injustice of the former judges, as well as the soundness of the decrees. These holy fathers have taught us not only truths respecting the Divine nature, but also the doctrine of the Incarnation.
Constans was much concerned on hearing of the easy temper of his brother, and was highly incensed against those who had contrived this plot and artfully taken advantage of it. He chose two of the bishops who had attended the council of Sardica, and sent them with letters to his brother; he also dispatched Salianus, a military commander who was celebrated for his piety and integrity, on the same embassy. The letters which he forwarded by them, and which were worthy of himself, contained not only entreaties and counsels, but also menaces. In the first place, he charged his brother to attend to all that the bishops might say, and to take cognizance of the crimes of Stephanus and of his accomplices. He also required him to restore Athanasius to his flock; the calumny of the accusers and the injustice and ill-will of his former judges having become evident. He added, that if he would not accede to his request, and perform this act of justice, he would himself go to Alexandria, restore Athanasius to his flock which earnestly longed for him, and expel all opponents.

Constantius was at Antioch when he received this letter; and he agreed to carry out all that his brother commanded.
The Ecumenical Council of Constantinople I judged differently:

The profession of faith of the holy fathers who gathered in Nicaea in Bithynia is not to be abrogated, but it is to remain in force. Every heresy is to be anathematised and in particular that of the Eunomians or Anomoeans, that of the Arians or Eudoxians, that of the Semi-Arians or Pneumatomachi, that of the Sabellians that of the Marcellians, that of the Photinians and that of the Apollinarians.

Those who embrace orthodoxy and join the number of those who are being saved from the heretics, we receive in the following regular and customary manner: Arians, Macedonians, Sabbatians, Novatians, those who call themselves Cathars and Aristae, Quartodeciman or Tetradites, Apollinarians�these we receive when they hand in statements and anathematise every heresy which is not of the same mind as the holy, catholic and apostolic church of God. They are first sealed or anointed with holy chrism on the forehead, eyes, nostrils, mouth and ears. As we seal them we say: "Seal of the gift of the holy Spirit". But Eunomians, who are baptised in a single immersion, Montanists (called Phrygians here), Sabellians, who teach the identity of Father and Son and make certain other difficulties, and all other sects � since there are many here, not least those who originate in the country of the Galatians [i.e. the followers of Marcellus of Ancyra] � we receive all who wish to leave them and embrace orthodoxy as we do Greeks [i.e. pagans]. On the first day we make Christians of them, on the second catechumens, on the third we exorcise them by breathing three times into their faces and their ears, and thus we catechise them and make them spend time in the church and listen to the scriptures; and then we baptise them.
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf214.ix.viii.ix.html

As for St. Cyprian, the Ultramontanists and other believers in a "Petrine office" favor him as a quote mine. The upholders of Orthodox ecclesiology favor him on his own merits, and for fighting fire with fire.

So basically, the arguments from Low Petrine advocates depend on (1) those who are in error
Like St. Basil and the Second Ecumenical Council wink
(2) those who are heretics
(3) those who break oaths and perpetuate schism
Like St. Basil, St. Flavian of Antioch and the Second Ecumenical Council. wink
Upon thoughtful consideration, I am even more inclined to reject the Low Petrine excesses.
In solitaire you can shuffle your cards any way you like.

Shlomo Lkhoolkhoon,

Sorry I have not been active, but I have been very sick.

As to the Communion of the Eastern and Western Churches we should also focus on the Oriental Orothodox Churches and the Assyrian Church of the East. Under formal documentation the Catholic Church and the above mentioned Churches have stated that they are in agreement, and that they issues that had divided them where based on cultural misunderstandings and not true doctrinare ones. Therefore there is nothing standing in the way of re-Communion between these Churches formally, but informally there are a number of issues. The high points are theseL:

1) What is the role of the Pope within the Universal Church;
2) How are the Ecumenical Councils rulling to be handled that occured after said schism;
3) How is said re-Communion to be handled vis-a-vis both Catholic and Eastern Orthodox organization. (For example in Alexandria, Egypt you have three Patriarchs - one each for the Catholic, Eastern Orthodox and Oriental [Coptic] Churches. While the Catholic and Coptic Churches share liturgical traditions, the Eastern Orthodox does not and further, the Eastern Orthodox Church is quite adament that THERE eparch is the only legitimate one.

I would hope that the Catholic Church move away from a one on one dialog with Our Sister Churches to one that included all of them at the same time so that we can have a comprehensive solution to these and other issues. What I would like to see is a Grand Ecumenical Council (un-numbered) that would take in ALL of the living points of all the Canons from previous councils and have the eparchs/bishops vote them into being for the newly restored Catholic (Universal) Church.

Fush BaShlomo Lkhoolkhoon,
Yuhannon

I
I
Originally Posted by IAlmisry
On the particular matter of Antioch, one will note that after his initial overtures to Pope St. Athanasius in 371 A.D., St. Basil basically gave up (St. Athanasius died in 377). But with regards to the bishop of Rome, St. Basil never gave up. Until his death at the very beginning of 379, he worked indefatigably to regularize relations between Rome and the Meletian party. It's obvious that from St. Basil's perspective, Rome's influence on the matter carried more weight than Alexandria's. But the High Petrine view does not assign to Rome singular, absolute influence - only that it is higher relative to others in a situation when its influence would be relevant and necessary (I believe more often than not, Rome's influence is both not relevant nor necessary).
Btw., it was Abp. St. Meletius who refused communion with Pope St. Athanasius, in 363, right after the Council of Alexandria, not the other way around. In the last year (372) of Pope St. Athanasius' life, Met. St. Basil wrote to Abp. St. Meletius concerning that sad fact:
Letter 89

ST. BASIL OF CAESAREA

To Meletius, bishop of Antioch.

1. The eagerness of my longing is soothed by the opportunities which the merciful God gives me of saluting your reverence. He Himself is witness of the earnest desire which I have to see your face, and to enjoy your good and soul-refreshing instruction. Now by my reverend and excellent brother Dorotheus, the deacon, who is setting out, first of all I beg you to pray for me that I be no stumbling block to the people, nor hindrance to your petitions to propitiate the Lord. In the second place I would suggest that you would be so good as to make all arrangements through the aforementioned brother; and, if it seems well that a letter should be sent to the Westerns, because it is only right that communication should be made in writing even through our own messenger, that you will dictate the letter. I have met Sabinus the deacon, sent by them, and have written to the bishops in Illyria, Italy, and Gaul, and to some of those who have written privately to myself. For it is right that some one should be sent in the common interests of the Synod, conveying a second letter which I beg you to have written.

2. As to what concerns the right reverend bishop Athanasius, your intelligence is already aware of what I will mention, that it is impossible for anything to be advanced by my letters, or for any desirable objects to be carried out, unless by some means or other he receives communion from you, who at that time postponed it. He is described as being very anxious to unite with me, and to be willing to contribute all he can, but to be sorry that he was sent away without communion, and that the promise still remains unfulfilled.
What is going on in the East cannot have failed to reach your reverence's ears, but the aforementioned brother will give you more accurate information by word of mouth. Be so good as to dispatch him directly after Easter, because of his waiting for the answer from Samosata. Look kindly on his zeal strengthen him by your prayers and so dispatch him on this commission.
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf208.ix.xc.html
After the falling asleep of Pope St. Athanasius, Met. St. Basil wrote to Abp. St. Epiphanius in the year (377) before Met. St. Meletius' final entry into his see of Antioch, lamenting the fact, and echoing Pope St. Athanasius' lament over it.
Letter 258
ST. BASIL OF CAESAREA

To Epiphanius the bishop.
...As to the Church at Antioch (I mean that which is in agreement in the same doctrine), may the Lord grant that one day we may see it united. It is in peril of being specially open to the attacks of the enemy, who is angry with it because there the name of Christian first obtained. There heresy is divided against orthodoxy, and orthodoxy is divided against herself. My position, however, is this. The right reverend bishop Meletius was the first to speak boldly for the truth, and fought that good fight in the days of Constantine. Therefore my Church has felt strong affection towards him, for the sake of that brave and firm stand, and has held communion with him. I, therefore, by God's grace, have held him to be in communion up to this time; and, if God will, I shall continue to do so. Moreover the very blessed Pope Athanasius came from Alexandria, and was most anxious that communion should be established between Meletius and himself; but by the malice of counsellors their conjunction was put off to another season. Would that this had not been so! I have never accepted communion with any one of those who have since been introduced into the see, not because I count them unworthy, but because I see no ground for the condemnation of Meletius. Nevertheless I have heard many things about the brethren, without giving heed to them, because the accused were not brought face to face with their accusers, according to that which is written, Does our law judge any man, before it hear him, and know what he does? John 7:51 I cannot therefore at present write to them, right honourable brother, and I ought not to be forced to do so. It will be becoming to your peaceful disposition not to cause union in one direction and disunion in another, but to restore the severed member to the original union. First, then, pray; next, to the utmost of your ability, exhort, that ambition may be driven from their hearts, and that reconciliation may be effected between them both to restore strength to the Church, and to destroy the rage of our foes. It has given great comfort to my soul that, in addition to your other right and accurate statements in theology, you should acknowledge the necessity of stating that the hypostases are three. Let the brethren at Antioch be instructed by you after this manner. Indeed I am confident that they have been so instructed; for I am sure you would never have accepted communion with them unless you had carefully made sure of this point in them....
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf208.ix.cclix.html

It is not known for certain, but it seems that the lingering issue for Abp. St. Meletius lay in Pope St. Athanasius' communion with Marcellus of Ancyra, whom the Council of Sardica restored along with Pope St. Athanasius. In his final years Pope St. Athanasius also repudiated communion with Marcelllus.

Given that Pope St. Athanasius was in full communion with Abp. Damasus of Rome, according to Pastor Aeternus and Ut Unum Sint, he should not have felt so much anxiety to establish communion with someone out of communion with the bishop of Rome, such as Met. St. Meletius of Antioch.

It would seem, according to you, Met. St. Meletius was the court of last resort. Certainly that Pope St. Athanasius did not share the definition of Pastor Aeternus and Ut Unum Sint of Catholic as "being in communion with the bishop of Rome."

Last edited by IAlmisry; 02/15/13 05:07 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by BenjaminRH
But St. James spoke and concluided the proceedings of the Jerusalem Council. Why would the first Pope not do such? Heck, if any church should be granted ecclesiastical lordship, it should be Jerusalem. Or perhaps the first See of St. Peter, Antioch. God bless.
First, I believe it's rather common knowledge and belief that the Apostles conceded the bishopric to St. James because the Lord expected the Apostles to be ITINERANT, instead of remaining in one place.
Holy Tradition records it as an issue of "glory" (doxa), not of mobility and immobility.
The issue is not "mobility and immobility." The issue is about spreading the Gospel. None of the passages you brought up refutes the plain fact that the Lord expected the Apostles to spread the Gospel throughout the world.

Acts 1:4 And eating together with them, He commanded them, that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but should wait for the promise of the Father, which you have heard (saith He) by My mouth.
Contrary to your claim, Jesus here is expecting them to leave Jerusalem to spread the Gospel after He has sent the HS.

Acts 8:1 AND at that time there was raised a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all dispersed through the countries of Judea, and Samaria, except the Apostles.
The point of this passage is that a lot of people fled in fear because of the persecution, but the Apostles held their ground, not they were going to remain in Jerusalem the rest of their lives, in opposition to the Lord's command to spread the Gospel throughout the world.

Acts 12:17 But he [St. Peter] beckoning to them with his hand to hold their peace, told how the Lord had brought him out of prison, and he said: Tell these things to James, and to the brethren. And going out, he went into another place.
Not sure what your citation of this passage is supposed to prove.

That was a decade or so after the Ascension.
So what? Do you expect that the Apostles would contravene the Lord's command to spread the Gospel to the world?

And he came back:
You mean he wasn't in Jerusalem? And so what if he came back? Do you expect that the Apostles would contravene the Lord's command to spread the Gospel to the world?

And it seems the Apostles were associated with Jerusalem:
Of course they were associated with Jerusalem. That's where it all started. Does this fact mean the Apostles would contravene the Lord's command to spread the Gospel to the world?

Not here he doesn't:
Then all the multitude kept silence, etc. Acts 15:12 There was no arrogance in the Church. After Peter Paul speaks, and none silences him: James waits patiently, not starts up (for the next word). Great the orderliness (of the proceedings). No word speaks John here, no word the other Apostles, but held their peace, for James was invested with the chief rule, and think it no hardship. So clean was their soul from love of glory. And after that they had held their peace, James answered, etc. Acts 15:13 (b) Peter indeed spoke more strongly, but James here more mildly: for thus it behooves one in high authority, to leave what is unpleasant for others to say, while he himself appears in the milder part.
Yes, James had the principal seat in the See of Jerusalem because he was its bishop, a position conceded to him by the Apostles, because the Lord had another job for the Apostles. James had high authority in Jerusalem, but he did not have the highest authority in the Church as a whole. That status belonged to the Apostles, with St. Peter as their coryphaeus. Note that this episode merely reflects the common belief of High and Low Petrine advocates that those who hold the headship should not interfere in the affairs of local Churches (as reflected in the ancient Apostolic Canon 34). The problem of the Judaizers was basically a local problem, having originated from the Jerusalem Church. But whatever decision St. James would eventually make, it could not dogmatically contradict the universal teaching that was already established by the Apostles.

Third, I'm not aware of any Ecum Council that was presided over by the bishop of Rome, but every Council that has been graced with that status required the confirmation of the bishop of Rome. Read the Acts of the 3rd Ecum Council, and you might notice that the confirmation of the bishop of Rome is considered a different kind of animal than the general agreement of the bishops.
Rather than a fishing expedition, why don't you quote the Acts of the IIIrd Ecumenical Council?
Do you happen to have an online link to the 3rd Ecum off hand? Otherwise, I'd have to type it out from my hardcopy of V.7 of the NPNF, and I don't have the time right now.

The Fifth Ecumenical Council was held over the Abp. of Rome's explicit opposition. The IIIrd Ecumenical Council did not differ in its opinion on "confirmation of the bishop of Rome" versus "the general agreement of the Bishops."
False. Pope Vigilius expressed his desire for an Ecumenical Council from the beginning. The only issue was where it was to be held -- he and the Emperor did not agree. Pope Vigilius wanted a fair Council with fair representation from the Western bishops, but the Emperor did not want that. That Pope Vigilius had an "explicit opposition" to the Council is just another one of your inventive misinterpretations of historical facts, I'm sorry to say.

Another problem for Mardukm's interpretation: at the time he wrote this, Apb. (at the time priest) John Chrysostom was not in communion with the Pontiff Damasus and his successor Siricius at Rome.
(1) John Chrysostom was not the bishop of Constantinople when he wrote "On the Priesthood." It was written when he was a deacon about 386.
Yes, I'm aware of those facts. In fact, I mentioned in passing that he was not a bishop at the time. What makes you think that presents a problem for me?
Just a passing and minor correction to the statement that he was a priest when he wrote it. Socrates informs that he had just been ordained a deacon by St. Meletius when he wrote it. I know that certain historians have made a mystery of it from a dependence on "internal evidence." But direct evidence already exists that it was written when he was a deacon.

I'll skip over the last part-which contradicts both what Ut Unum Sint and Pastor Aeternus say on the matter-which deals with generalities (to be dealt with in time, Lord willing), and get to specifics.
I'll be waiting eagerly for what else you can offer to try to prove your caricature of the Catholic Church's teaching about the papacy. Perhaps we can jump to that at this point. I really think your position here about St. Meletius is not very cogent anyway. Though you are making the Meletian issue all about the papacy, while I have a more collegial understanding of the situation (i.e., it's not all about the Pope to me), I'm sure we already both agree that the Pope cannot impose his will on his brother bishops on his mere discretion, so let's move on to the real issue of this thread.

Why Rome's influence in the matter might carry more weight doesn't present a mystery: the Emperor at Rome (actually, Milan) confessed the Orthodox Faith and supported the Catholic Church, while heretics ruled at Constantinople over the East-including Alexandria-who persecuted the Church and exiled her bishops. How fast things moved-i.e. a matter of weeks-to secure Abp. St. Meletius on his throne in Antioch after the heretics were removed from the imperial throne underscores that.
When you say "Rome," you must also mean the Church of Rome. The Church of Rome's influence was great in the Church because of the perception of her steadfast orthodoxy. Rome has held the greatest record of orthodoxy among all the Churches in the history of the Church, something you cannot deny (Alexandria comes a good second). Her steadfast orthodoxy has nothing to do with the religion professed by the secular power.

In 376 Met. St. Basil writes that he had lost his patience with Rome in its safe haven, and reproaches its bishop for dictating to the Church instead of using his influence with the Emperor for good:
ST. BASIL OF CAESAREA To Eusebius, bishop of Samosata...
The news of the West you know already, on the recital of brother Dorotheus. What sort of letters are to be given him on his departure? Perhaps he will travel with the excellent Sanctissimus, who is full of enthusiasm, journeying through the East, and collecting letters and signatures from all the men of mark. What ought to be written by them, or how I can come to an agreement with those who are writing, I do not know. If you hear of any one soon travelling my way, be so good as to let me know. I am moved to say, as Diomede said,

...he's proud enough.

Really lofty souls, when they are courted, get haughtier than ever. If the Lord be propitious to us, what other thing do we need? If the anger of the Lord lasts on, what help can come to us from the frown of the West? Men who do not know the truth, and do not wish to learn it, but are prejudiced by false suspicions, are doing now as they did in the case of Marcellus, when they quarrelled with men who told them the truth, and by their own action strengthened the cause of heresy. Apart from the common document, I should like to have written to their Coryph�us� nothing, indeed, about ecclesiastical affairs except gently to suggest that they know nothing of what is going on here, and will not accept the only means whereby they might learn it. I would say, generally, that they ought not to press hard on men who are crushed by trials. They must not take dignity for pride. Sin only avails to produce enmity against God.[/b]

Now, there's a reference to the bishop of Rome as "Coryph�us," as that "soul...haughtier than ever" refers to Abp. Damasus: it seems that the Emperor granting him the ancient imperial title "pontifex maximus" had gone to his head.
First of all, you are as creative as ever in your cut and paste of the documents. Readers might note that whereas the original states "really lofty souls [PLURAL]...get haughtier than ever," in brother Isa's hands, it becomes singular. The purposeful transformation is obvious - you want to try to demonstrate that it is referring specifically to Pope St. Damasus. But St. Basil is referring to the Westerns in general, not specifically to Damasus - his use of the plural third person throughout the excerpt proves it.

Secondly, you seem not aware of it, but there was a Roman Synod in 375 (the year before this letter you quoted from) wherein an Apollinarian (its representative at that time was named Vitalis, and he had been ordained by St. Meletius) had deceived the fathers of the Synod with dubious phrases into believing he was orthodox and was thus admitted into communion. Consequently, Pope St. Damasus sent a letter to bishop Paulinus to admit him into communion. Vitalis had also succeeded in deceiving others such as St. Gregory Nazianzen into admitting him into communion. This Vitalis had been accused by many in the East of heresy before he came to Rome. St. Basil is more likely referring to this episode rather than the case of St. Meletius, as it has more similarities with the incident of Marcellus, than with anything regarding St. Meletius. Further evidence that St. Basil is referring to this incident is the statement "by their own action strengthened the cause of heresy." As a matter of fact, Vitalis belonged to the Apollinarian group that was one of the rival factions at Antioch. Pope St. Damasus very soon (after this letter by St. Basil) was somehow convinced of Vitalis' error and sent another letter to bishop Paulinus to admit only those who would sign the Nicene profession of Faith. Vitalis and his group would not sign the Nicene Profession, and the group was thus condemned. Basically, your statement "St. Basil had lost all patience with Rome" as if it referred to the case of St. Meletius is just another piece of eisegesis.

Btw, if it was the case that St. Basil lost all patience with Rome, why did he bother to try to influence the Meletians to appeal to Rome on the doctrinal matters affecting the Antiochenes? Rome's positive response (btw) came the year after the letter to Eusebius which you quoted above.

Finally, regarding your underlining of "their coryphaeus." I am perhaps 80% certain that the original Greek did not have the possessive "their," but is an interpretative addition. If Cavaradossi is reading this, maybe he can confirm or correct my suspicion (as he seems to have access to a lot of patristic Greek texts).

Note too that Met. St. Basil points out that Abp. Damasus' spurns communion with Abp. St. Meltius, but communes with the heretic Marcellus of Ancyra, i.e. in the same Diocese as Met. St. Gregory.

Yes, and as he just as obviously points out, those who defended Marcellus did so out of a lack of knowledge of what he actually taught. Of course, Rome was orthodox as it had condemned the modalism of Marcellus even before 370 (Marcellus died in 374, btw, so I don't know why you mention "in the same Diocese as Met. St. Gregory" as if he was still alive at the time St. Basil wrote this letter). The Roman Synod of 380 condemned again the heresy of Marcellus (as did the Council of Constantinople the following year).

Btw, Pope St. Athanasius of Alexandria fell asleep in 373 (and we have a letter to him from Met. St. Basil on these matters from 372), not 377.
That's right; my finger must have worked doubletime when I was typing the 7 and did not notice.

In that latter year, however, Met. St. Basil did write to the successor to the see of Alexandria, then in exile in Rome:
ST. BASIL OF CAESAREA...To Petrus, bishop of Alexandria.
And what was the result of this letter to Pope St. Peter? Please tell us.

Note that here Met. St. Basil is writing overtures to Pope St. Peter, although the latter is living in exile from his see with Abp. Damusus in Rome. It's obvious that from St. Basil's perspective, Rome's influence on the matter carried no more weight than Alexandria's, as Met. St. Basil praises Pope Peter in the letter for his guidance and instruction, but reproaches Abp. Damasus for the latter's ill-disposition and incompetence for failing to perform his duties in accordance with Met. St. Basil's wishes.
Where does he "reproach" Pope St. Damasus? I didn't see that anywhere in the letter. He addressed Pope St. Damasus as "the very venerable." Are you sure you are not reading into things again? A careful reading of the excerpt indicates that the one who grieved him was the presbyter Dorotheus - for not having done his proper duty - and the "ill-disposition and incompetence" refers to Dorotheus, not Pope St. Damasus. Btw, "ill-disposition" is not the same thing as "ill-disposed." To be "ill-disposed" (what the text actually says) simply means that someone is not well suited (i.e., for the task given him). "Ill-disposition" is simply slanderous. It sure seems you are willing to twist anything into a monstrosity for the sake of a bias against the papacy. I must say it is really difficult to communicate with a person of such glaring and unthinking prejudice.

Met. St. Basil wrote to a number of bishops in exile, including Bps. Eulogios, Alexander and Harpocration, suffragans of Pope St. Peter, on these matters. He also wrote many letters to "the Westerners," including one addressed to "the bishops of Gaul and Italy" (in that order): are you going to tell us that he was speaking, as a prophet, of Avignon?
Yes, as explained to Cavaradossi, it's rather natural to seek the support of many bishops. I'm not sure what it proves to simply repeat what I stated. I'm also not sure what you mean about Avignon. Please explain.

From what St. Basil says, one wonders if the issue of St. Meletius is one of those "certain painful recollections" that Ut Unum Sint refers to.
Nah. You're just reading into things again.

"When circumstances require it, he speaks in the name of all the Pastors in communion with him," so Ut Unum Sint tells us: what does that say of shunning communion with Abp. St. Meletius and embracing communion with Marcellus, as Met. St. Basil points out?
It means he was misinformed, or ignorant of the facts (if you want to use harsher words) -- as Met. St. Basil points out.

"By thus bearing witness to the truth, he serves unity," so Ut Unum Sint tells us: what of when he is wrong, or "proved ill disposed and incompetent," as Met. St. Basil says of Abp. St. Damasus of Rome?
Well, you botched that interpretation, so no point responding to this.

The ones who exacerbated the schism were the ones who installed a member of the Meletian party at the Church of Antioch, breaking the oath made by both parties. So basically, your best argument is to support the breaking of oaths and causing the continuation of schism. I'd agree with you - Pastor Aeternus opposes such aberrations in the Chuch of God, and has nothing to do with that. This reminds me of the arguments I've encountered from certain non-Catholics, using St. Cyprian's opposition to Pope St. Stephen, and the rejection of the Council of Sardica by most Easterns at the time, as proof against the primacy of the bishop of Rome. But St. Cyprian was wrong on the matter on which he opposed Pope St. Stephen, and the Easterns who rejected Sardica were heretics.
Not quite. Sardica was held as an Ecumenical Council, and it was approved by the authority Pastor Aeternus says has to confirm it. However, Pope St. Athanasius wasn't the only one exonerated at Sardica: the Council also exonerated Marcellus of Ancyra and put him back in his see. The same Marcellus that the letters of Met. St. Basil-posted in the ""Orthodoxy and the Vatican Papacy: Abp. St. Meletius of Antioch" thread-condemned as a heretic and reproached him whom Pastor Aeternus makes the judge and guardian of orthodoxy and Ut Unum Sint charges with responsibility for the unity of the Catholic Church, i.e. the bishop of Rome St. Damasus, for communing with the same Marcellus-while refusing communion with Abp. St. Meletius, the rightful bishop of Antioch.
And no orthodox Father has ever been deceived by heretics into believing they were orthodox. Is that what you are saying? Your quotes exonerate Sardica of any wrongdoing because it is plain that Marcellus deceived them.
Socrates: At that time indeed he exerted himself to the utmost to procure the revocation of the sentence pronounced against him, declaring that his being suspected of entertaining the error of Paul of Samosata arose from a misunderstanding of some expressions in his book.
Sozomen: The adherents of Hosius, in the meantime, assembled together, and declared them innocent: Athanasius, because unjust machinations had been carried on against him by those who had convened at Tyre; and Marcellus, because he did not hold the opinions with which he was charged.
Theodoret: Athanasius, Marcellus, and Asclepas, took every means to induce them to attend, by tears, by urgency, by challenge, promising not only to prove the falsity of their accusations, but also to show how deeply they had injured their own churches...The writings of our fellow-minister, Marcellus, were also read, and plainly evinced the duplicity of the adherents of Eusebius; for what Marcellus had simply suggested as a point of inquiry, they accused him of professing as a point of faith. The statements which he had made, both before and after the inquiry, were read, and his faith was proved to be orthodox. He did not affirm, as they represented, that the beginning of the Word of God was dated from His conception by the holy Mary, or that His kingdom would have an end. On the contrary, he wrote that His kingdom had had no beginning, and would have no end.
You must also remember that it was not an orthodox Synod who first deposed him, but a Synod of Arians.

The Ecumenical Council of Constantinople I judged differently:
Yes, we know (though, it must be repeated it was not "ecumenical" at the time). It's not big news - the Synod of Rome had made the same judgment on the matter the year before. And everyone for at least a decade before that had already rejected the modalism of Marcellus.

As for St. Cyprian, the Ultramontanists and other believers in a "Petrine office" favor him as a quote mine. The upholders of Orthodox ecclesiology favor him on his own merits, and for fighting fire with fire.
The issue is not about his quotability. It's the fact that if St. Cyprian had conceded his error (and Pope St. Stephen was not so overbearing about the matter), the whole episode would not have occurred. But it remains a fact that St. Cyprian's statements were made by a man who was in objective error. I'm not saying his ecclesiology was in error in the least, even according to his revised De Unitate, but if it wasn't written in the context of a disagreement, I seriously doubt Low Petrine advocates would have any ammunition from the incident. IOW, it was not his ecclesiology that was wrong, but his disagreement.

So basically, the arguments from Low Petrine advocates depend on (1) those who are in error
My statement referred to St. Cyprian. If you stop with the eisegesis, you might see your response makes no sense.

(2) those who are heretics
My statement referred to the Arians. If you stop with the eisegesis, you might see your response makes no sense.

(3) those who break oaths and perpetuate schism
Like St. Basil, St. Flavian of Antioch and the Second Ecumenical Council. wink
Not St. Basil. He was dead. But yes, I would regard St. Flavian to have broken his oath, and he and the local (at that time) council of Constantinople as guilty of perpetuating the schism.

Btw., it was Abp. St. Meletius who refused communion with Pope St. Athanasius, in 363, right after the Council of Alexandria, not the other way around.
Who said otherwise? Please try to stop with the eisegesis.

After the falling asleep of Pope St. Athanasius, Met. St. Basil wrote to Abp. St. Epiphanius in the year (377) before Met. St. Meletius' final entry into his see of Antioch, lamenting the fact, and echoing Pope St. Athanasius' lament over it.
[quote]Letter 258
ST. BASIL OF CAESAREA...To Epiphanius the bishop.
I'm not sure what your point is for bringing up St. Epiphanius. You are aware, I hope, that St. Epiphanius sided with the Paulinians?

It is not known for certain, but it seems that the lingering issue for Abp. St. Meletius lay in Pope St. Athanasius' communion with Marcellus of Ancyra, whom the Council of Sardica restored along with Pope St. Athanasius. In his final years Pope St. Athanasius also repudiated communion with Marcelllus.
So did Pope St. Damasus. Why do you fail to mention that? Your prejudice is glaring.

Given that Pope St. Athanasius was in full communion with Abp. Damasus of Rome,
Now, you don't even have the decency to refer to Pope St. Damasus as a Saint. Your prejudice is glaring.

according to Pastor Aeternus and Ut Unum Sint, he should not have felt so much anxiety to establish communion with someone out of communion with the bishop of Rome, such as Met. St. Meletius of Antioch.
It's only your prejudice that causes you to be blind to the historic facts. Both Popes St. Damasus and St. Athanasius had repudiated the Marcellian heresy at least by 370. As you stated, it was St. Meletius who rejected Pope St. Athanasius first, so trying to divine Pope St. Athanasius' actions on any other basis is just empty rhetoric. As often stated, please try to be consistent with the storytelling.

It would seem, according to you, Met. St. Meletius was the court of last resort. Certainly that Pope St. Athanasius did not share the definition of Pastor Aeternus and Ut Unum Sint of Catholic as "being in communion with the bishop of Rome."
Not sure what you mean by this. Please explain.

Blessings

P.S. It's a long post. Forgive me if some of my responses seem terse. I'm going through a trying time in my life right now.

I
I
P.S. It's a long post. Forgive me if some of my responses seem terse. I'm going through a trying time in my life right now.
Godspeed. I'm still consolidating the previous posts, which might take a while, so attend to the real life world. The net is a luxury, after all.

In the meantime, just some little points:

[Given that Pope St. Athanasius was in full communion with Abp. Damasus of Rome,
Now, you don't even have the decency to refer to Pope St. Damasus as a Saint. Your prejudice is glaring. ,
Just an inadvertent omission, nothing more. I believe I have referred to Abp. Damasus as "St." elsewhere. I could have just as easily forgotten to put it before Pope "" Athanasius.

Third, I'm not aware of any Ecum Council that was presided over by the bishop of Rome, but every Council that has been graced with that status required the confirmation of the bishop of Rome. Read the Acts of the 3rd Ecum Council, and you might notice that the confirmation of the bishop of Rome is considered a different kind of animal than the general agreement of the bishops.
Rather than a fishing expedition, why don't you quote the Acts of the IIIrd Ecumenical Council?
Do you happen to have an online link to the 3rd Ecum off hand? Otherwise, I'd have to type it out from my hardcopy of V.7 of the NPNF, and I don't have the time right now.
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf214.html
the search function is at the lower right.
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3810.htm
http://www.legionofmarytidewater.com/faith/ECUM03.HTM

Just a passing and minor correction to the statement that he was a priest when he wrote it. Socrates informs that he had just been ordained a deacon by St. Meletius when he wrote it. I know that certain historians have made a mystery of it from a dependence on "internal evidence." But direct evidence already exists that it was written when he was a deacon.[/quote]
In the same passage Socrates misinforms us also that Evagrius, whom Paulinus ordained as his successor in absolute disregard of the canons and the decision of the Church, ordained St. John a priest (Abp. St. John's friend (and later suffragan) Palladius tells us that Abp. St. Flavian ordained St. John a priest, giving a date at which Evagrius had already died).
http://books.google.com/books?id=QSNWAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA40&dq=%22ordained+him+presbyter.++For+twelve+years%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=IeMfUa-YEaSy2wWk9oEI&ved=0CD8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22ordained%20him%20presbyter.%20%20For%20twelve%20years%22&f=false
Socrates does constitute a source, but (unlike Paulinus' "Dialogue concerning the life of John") not direct evidence. On this point, however, it doesn't matter: not being a bishop, the question of your "magisterium" does not come up. In fact, if Socrates is correct on the dating and circumcstances, it just underlines (since it would mean St. John communed with Abp. St. Meletius at a time when Abp. St. Damasus had chosen his rival Paulinus) that the treatise has no support for its use by you to argue a "Petrine office" and impute belief in it to St. John.

Despite his disqualification for the "magisterium" as Vatican I and II defines it, he was qualified for bishop:
CHAPTER IV.—Chrysostom Evades Election to a Bishopric, and Writes His Work on the Priesthood.

About this time several bishoprics were vacant in Syria, and frequent depositions took place with the changing fortunes of orthodoxy and Arianism, and the interference of the court. The attention of the clergy and the people turned to Chrysostom and his friend Basil as suitable candidates for the episcopal office, although they had not the canonical age of thirty. Chrysostom shrunk from the responsibilities and avoided an election by a pious fraud. He apparently assented to an agreement with Basil that both should either accept, or resist the burden of the episcopate, but instead of that he concealed himself and put forward his friend whom he accounted much more worthy of the honor. Basil, under the impression that Chrysostom had already been consecrated, reluctantly submitted to the election. When he discovered the cheat, he upbraided his friend with the breach of compact, but Chrysostom laughed and rejoiced at the success of his plot. This conduct, which every sound Christian conscience must condemn, caused no offense among the Christians of that age, still less among the heathen, and was regarded as good management or “economy.” The moral character of the deception was supposed to depend altogether on the motive, which made it good or bad. Chrysostom appealed in justification of laudable deception to the stratagems of war, the conduct of physicians in dealing with refractory patients, to several examples of the Old Testament (Abraham, Jacob, David), and to the conduct of the Apostle Paul in circumcising Timothy for the sake of the Jews (Acts xvi. 3) and in observing the ceremonial law in Jerusalem at the advice of James (Acts xxi. 26).
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf109.iii.iv.html

ST. BASIL OF CAESAREA To Eusebius, bishop of Samosata...
The news of the West you know already, on the recital of brother Dorotheus. What sort of letters are to be given him on his departure? Perhaps he will travel with the excellent Sanctissimus, who is full of enthusiasm, journeying through the East, and collecting letters and signatures from all the men of mark. What ought to be written by them, or how I can come to an agreement with those who are writing, I do not know. If you hear of any one soon travelling my way, be so good as to let me know. I am moved to say, as Diomede said,

...he's proud enough.

Really lofty souls, when they are courted, get haughtier than ever. If the Lord be propitious to us, what other thing do we need? If the anger of the Lord lasts on, what help can come to us from the frown of the West? Men who do not know the truth, and do not wish to learn it, but are prejudiced by false suspicions, are doing now as they did in the case of Marcellus, when they quarrelled with men who told them the truth, and by their own action strengthened the cause of heresy. Apart from the common document, I should like to have written to their Coryph�us� nothing, indeed, about ecclesiastical affairs except gently to suggest that they know nothing of what is going on here, and will not accept the only means whereby they might learn it. I would say, generally, that they ought not to press hard on men who are crushed by trials. They must not take dignity for pride. Sin only avails to produce enmity against God.[/b]
Now, there's a reference to the bishop of Rome as "Coryph�us," as that "soul...haughtier than ever" refers to Abp. Damasus: it seems that the Emperor granting him the ancient imperial title "pontifex maximus" had gone to his head.
Finally, regarding your underlining of "their coryphaeus." I am perhaps 80% certain that the original Greek did not have the possessive "their," but is an interpretative addition. If Cavaradossi is reading this, maybe he can confirm or correct my suspicion (as he seems to have access to a lot of patristic Greek texts).
You're right there: it says the coryphaeus.

Ἐγὼ μὲν γὰρ αὐτός , ἄνευ τοῦ κοινοῦ σχήματος , ἐβουλόμην αὐτῶν ἐπι στεῖλαι τῷ κορυφαίῳ· περὶ μὲν τῶν ἐκκλησιαστικῶν οὐδέν , εἰ μὴ ὅσον παραινίξασθαι ὅτι οὔτε ἴσασι τῶν παρ' ἡμῖν τὴν ἀλήθειαν οὔτε τὴν ὁδὸν δι ' ἧς ἂν μανθάνοιεν καταδέχονται
English, but not Greek, usage preferring the possessive pronoun (supplied before) instead of the article.

Btw, Pope St. Athanasius of Alexandria fell asleep in 373 (and we have a letter to him from Met. St. Basil on these matters from 372), not 377.
That's right; my finger must have worked doubletime when I was typing the 7 and did not notice.
It happens all the time to all of us, especially perhaps in them most unfortunate of places at times. The point being that in answer to your questions:
Met. St. Basil "gave up" because Pope St. Athanasius had fallen asleep.
From what St. Basil says, one wonders if the issue of St. Meletius is one of those "certain painful recollections" that Ut Unum Sint refers to.
Nah. You're just reading into things again.
LOL. A Rhetorical question. I'm quite sure the issue of Abp. St. Meletius is quite forgotten in Ut Unum Sint, as the Ultramontanists have swept Rome's opposition to him as far under the rug as possible.

Btw., it was Abp. St. Meletius who refused communion with Pope St. Athanasius, in 363, right after the Council of Alexandria, not the other way around.
Who said otherwise? Please try to stop with the eisegesis.
Doesn't even involve exogesis. You asked why did Met. St. Basil "gave up" on Pope St. Athanasius, who, as the facts show, didn't refuse communion: Abp. St. Meletius did

Letter 258
ST. BASIL OF CAESAREA...To Epiphanius the bishop.
I'm not sure what your point is for bringing up St. Epiphanius. You are aware, I hope, that St. Epiphanius sided with the Paulinians?
I'll deal with the final point later; but to answer your question-because Met. St. Basil wrote to him about the matter at a date that shows that Pope St. Athanasius fell asleep anxious for communion with Abp. St. Meletius, as I indicated.
Not sure what you mean by this. Please explain.

You made an issue of an alleged "giving up" on procuring communion with Abp. St. Meletius from Pope St. Athanasius, contrasting that "with regards to the bishop of Rome, St. Basil never gave up," which comports with Pastor Aeternus and Ut Unum Sint, just not with the facts. PA, UUS etc. define Catholic as "being in communion with the bishop of Rome." Pope St. Athanasius, however, shows the same anxiety for communion with Abp. St. Meletius as he did for communion with Pontiff St. Damasus. Not more. Rome might speak, but the case remains open.

E
E
This thread is a rich mine, but it is also very much unwieldy--both for the detail of specific arguments that emerge in it and also for the variety of themes that get discussed. I wish that the conversation could be moved into several more specific themes.
For example, 'Vatican I and Papal Primacy' could easily get its own thread. Just a thought.

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.