The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#393299 04/15/13 02:59 PM
OP Offline
For some reason, I am unable to find, on the internet, any pictures of the interior of the UGCC Patriarchal Cathedral in Kiev. I only find exterior shots. Would anyone be able to provide a link?

Thanks.

You can watch the Enthronement of the head of the Greek Catholic church in Ukraine

The interior of the church is seen very well.
And here

And three photos here http://interesniy-kiev.livejournal.com/3788152.html

Nataly #393303 04/15/13 04:23 PM
I
I
Originally Posted by Nataly
You can watch the Enthronement of the head of the Greek Catholic church in Ukraine

The interior of the church is seen very well.
And here

And three photos here http://interesniy-kiev.livejournal.com/3788152.html
I can see why there isn't many pictures of the inside of the Major Archbishop's church. What's with the organ?

Where is this photo: [Linked Image]

S
S
The pictures of the baroque church with the organ are not of the Patriarchal Cathedral (or the 'Major Archbishop's church' as you derisively put it). I don't know what church those are of, as I didn't read the article; but the Patriarchal Cathedral is the modern one that is not yet decorated on the inside.

Incidentally, I have seen Greek and Antiochene churches in America with organs and pews, so I hardly think that whosever church that one is, we can smugly comment on it (especially when doing so is an implied comment on Greek Catholic practice).

S
S
Sorry, there doesn't seem to be an edit button, but the above post was in response to IAlmisry's post, in case it wasn't obvious.

G
G
Originally Posted by IAlmisry
I can see why there isn't many pictures of the inside of the Major Archbishop's church. What's with the organ?

The organ is not of the patriarchal cathedral, but of Saint Alexander Roman Catholic Co-cathedral in Kyiv.

Originally Posted by Michael_Thoma
Where is this photo: [Linked Image]

Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Philadelphia, PA.

The interior of the Sobor of the Resurrection is not yet complete. The best views (without being there, of course) can be seen on the two DVD set of the Patriarch's Enthronement and Patriarchal Divine Liturgy.

I
I
Originally Posted by Slavophile
The pictures of the baroque church with the organ are not of the Patriarchal Cathedral (or the 'Major Archbishop's church' as you derisively put it).
That's how your supreme pontiff puts it. I wouldn't be so complimentary.
I don't know what church those are of, as I didn't read the article; but the Patriarchal Cathedral is the modern one that is not yet decorated on the inside.

Incidentally, I have seen Greek and Antiochene churches in America with organs and pews, so I hardly think that whosever church that one is, we can smugly comment on it (especially when doing so is an implied comment on Greek Catholic practice).
I wouldn't be so gentle if it were an Orthodox Church.

I
I
Originally Posted by griego catolico

The organ is not of the patriarchal cathedral, but of Saint Alexander Roman Catholic Co-cathedral in Kyiv.
You sure about that? It says "Greek-Catholic Patriarchal Cathedral."

Btw, I see no reason why the authorities don't cough the old cathedral back up, St. Nicholas. The Czars allowed it to be erected by its congregants' own funds for their own use (as the case with St. Alexander. The National House of Organ Music is squatting, and can move elsewhere.

IAlmisry #393317 04/15/13 09:25 PM
You sure about that? It says "Greek-Catholic Patriarchal Cathedral."

Yes. The website is wrong. Quit relying on:
"It's on the internet so it must be true."

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
D
DMD Offline
D
I have to admit that this issue of the proper title of the head of the UGCC confuses me. All priests of any Eastern Church swear obedience to the Bishop at ordination, Bishops swear loyalty and obedience to the Church. In the case of the Eastern Catholics, their highest duty of obedience is to the Pope. As far as I know, the Pope has not recognized the Major Archbishop of the UGCC as a Patriarch. How then is it not an act of collective disobedience to the Catholic Church and her Pope for Ukrainian Greek Catholics to disregard Rome and call the Major Archbishop a Patriarch?

I mean no disrespect, I truly don't understand this. I know they "want" him to have that status. My grandparents and thousands of others of their generation, led at first by many clergy wanted Rome to honor the commitments made in the Unia to preserve the Eastern Rite - including married clergy - as they understood the unions. Led at first by their clergy and through the urging of the GCU Messenger, they petitioned Rome for relief. Rome wouldn't bend and choices were made. Some left and became Orthodox, yet many more stayed with the Greek Catholic Church and had to affirm their loyalty and obedience to Rome and accept Ea Semper and Cum Data Fuerit. When I think about all of the turmoil and damage to communities and families caused by that I really just don't understand this issue.

Someone get an English copy of the Particular Laws of the UGCC. That's the final word until revised.

The non-Catholic Orthodox Syrians have much to say about the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church's head being called "Catholicos", no matter their limited viewpoint, the particular Laws of the Syro-Malankara CC - accepted by all the Churches in the Catholic Communion - calls the head of the Malankara Syrians "Catholicos", as do all the faithful, even in the Holy Qurbono. That's authoritative enough for me and everyone who matters.

The pictures of the baroque church with the organ are not of the Patriarchal Cathedral (or the 'Major Archbishop's church' as you derisively put it). I don't know what church those are of, as I didn't read the article; but the Patriarchal Cathedral is the modern one that is not yet decorated on the inside.
Let you see all the photos! http://interesniy-kiev.livejournal.com/3788152.html And after the photos of baroque church, which is the St. Alexander Catholic church in Kiev (http://lifekiev.com/aleksandrovskiy-kostel/) you'll find three photos of the Cathedral of UGCC.

Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
Yes. The website is wrong. Quit relying on:
"It's on the internet so it must be true."
If the Enthronement took place in that cathedral, didn't that mean that it was the main cathedral -"Patriarchial Cathedral"? Here are some more links with the "Патриарший собор Воскресения Христового Украинской Греко-Католической Церкви". It is called the main cathedral of UGCC.
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/48067775
http://sezamka.kiev.ua/photos_1_1_78_1001.html

http://www.votpusk.ru/country/dostoprim_info.asp?ID=3900

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.