The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
SeekingTruth, friendly_pilgrim, BigBadger, Carthaginian, lemkat
5,860 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 61 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Byzantine Nebraska
Byzantine Nebraska
by orthodoxsinner2, December 11
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,187
Posts415,085
Members5,860
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,431
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,431
Originally Posted by Roman Interloper
Those Masses and Benediction services you see are the conventual public worship services held at the two monasteries, and they are basically broadcast for shut ins. They aren't shows put on for the benefit of liturgists. It's too bad they aren't allowed to broadcast the daily morning Mass from the Shrine in Hanceville instead of the daily Mass from the EWTN chapel.

Honestly, I'm not anywhere near as big a fan of EWTN, in general, as I was 13 or 14 years ago; but I think the broadcast of daily mass is one of the best things that they do.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 569
Likes: 2
E
Member
Offline
Member
E
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 569
Likes: 2
EWTN represents the emphysemic and asthmatic pre-Vatican II Church breathing (barely) with one lung on life support! It blithely ignores the Eastern Churches, whether Catholic or Orthodox. When it does turn its jaundiced eye in their direction, it disseminates outdated siege-mentality boilerplate. As to those who confess that EWTN and Fox News are their favorite networks, what can one say but that there are none blinder than those that refuse to see.

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,930
Member
OP Offline
Member
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,930
Originally Posted by Ot'ets Nastoiatel'
EWTN represents the emphysemic and asthmatic pre-Vatican II Church breathing (barely) with one lung on life support! It blithely ignores the Eastern Churches, whether Catholic or Orthodox. When it does turn its jaundiced eye in their direction, it disseminates outdated siege-mentality boilerplate. As to those who confess that EWTN and Fox News are their favorite networks, what can one say but that there are none blinder than those that refuse to see.

FUNNY, EWTN & FOX ARE MY FAVORITE NETWORKS!

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,431
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,431
Originally Posted by Pani Rose
Originally Posted by Ot'ets Nastoiatel'
EWTN represents the emphysemic and asthmatic pre-Vatican II Church breathing (barely) with one lung on life support! It blithely ignores the Eastern Churches, whether Catholic or Orthodox. When it does turn its jaundiced eye in their direction, it disseminates outdated siege-mentality boilerplate. As to those who confess that EWTN and Fox News are their favorite networks, what can one say but that there are none blinder than those that refuse to see.

FUNNY, EWTN & FOX ARE MY FAVORITE NETWORKS!

Sigh ... I kinda miss the days when I would have said that -- well I still say it about Fox News, but just no longer about EWTN.

But in the interest of full disclosure, I don't really have a problem with EWTN's westernness.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 979
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 979
EWTN unfortunately can be described as "latincatholicophile"!
It indeed breathes with one lung.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 839
I
Member
Offline
Member
I
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by Pavloosh
EWTN unfortunately can be described as "latincatholicophile"!
It indeed breathes with one lung.

Back in its heyday, under Mother Angelica, there used to be a number of programs which dealt with the "sui juris" a lot. I recall her one time saying how she dreamed of one day broadcasting all 22 of their liturgies (though I think she said "mass"), a program on Bulgaria where sui juris primate claimed that his church was the only one persecuted in communist Bulgaria, crypto-Christian Albanians in Kosovo (though they may have been Latin rite) and even an experiment with a Melkite program in Arabic. References and discussions to the Orthodox were also common, not always a good thing: one common leitmotif was the assertion that one could be a "good Catholic"-i.e. a loyal son of the Vatican-and a "good Russian" as well, asserted by those who would find the Polish Orthodox (now the majority of the Orthodox Church in Poland since 1948 it seems) a contradiction in terms. In fact, I recall an interview with "the first Russian Catholic priest" ordained in Russia, where he stated that his ordination, between the Latin church and the Slavonic of the Orthodox, was the first to happen in Russian.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 844
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 844
I thought Fr. Tom Loya was a frequent Eastern Rite contributor to EWTN... Where's he been when we needed him to get his two cents in for our representation? It's almost like EWTN only really cares about the Church of the West anymore... Where's our fair share?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,473
Likes: 4
G
Member
Offline
Member
G
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,473
Likes: 4
Originally Posted by Pavloosh
EWTN unfortunately can be described as "latincatholicophile"!
It indeed breathes with one lung.

Really??!!

Has everyone on this thread forgotten that EWTN has broadcast:

1) Light of the East I & II [ewtn.com]
2) Syro-Malankara Qurbono [youtube.com]celebrated in the chapel where weekday Mass is celebrated
3) Interview with Msgr. Stephen Hrynuck, Ukrainian Catholic priest and oldest active priest in the USA
3) LIVE broadcast of the Divine Liturgy at Immaculate Conception UC Cathedral in Philadelphia, PA for the 100th Anniversary of the arrival of the first Greek Catholic bishop in the United States for Ruthenian/Ukrainian Catholics.
4) a program on the Russicum [lastoriasiamonoi.rai.it]

I am surprised that such unsubstantiated comments are being made.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,473
Likes: 4
G
Member
Offline
Member
G
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,473
Likes: 4
5) Installation of Most Rev. John A. Elya, Melkite Bishop of Newton (I belive he even traveled to EWTN to celebrate a Divine Liturgy.)
6)"The Melkite Church in America" 3 part series
7) Coverage of Blessed John Paul II's trip to Ukraine with Fr. Peter Galadza of the Sheptytsky Institute of Eastern Christian Studies assisting as commentator.

Shall I go on?




Joined: May 2012
Posts: 324
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 324
I'm sorry, but I completely fail to recognize any kinship or similarity between EWTN and Fox. I enjoy many of the programs broadcast on EWTN and I certainly enjoy the coverage they provide of papal events and major liturgical celebrations at the National Shrine and at cathedrals around the country. I have, on the other hand, no appreciation for Fox.

It seems to me that if there is a Catholic equivalent of Fox, that's to be found not on EWTN, but within the oftentimes abrasive and even toxic Catholic blogosphere and on Catholic radio programs hosted by lay apologists, some of which might sometimes tend to be somewhat obtuse, agenda-driven, and ill-mannered, and therefore perhaps reminiscent of certain Fox News personalities or conservative political talk show hosts on the radio. I have noticed over the past year, however, that such negative characteristics are by no means exclusive to Catholics, Latin Rite or otherwise. Cunning dissimulation in an effort to seem to one-up an opponent in debate would appear to be a rather ecumenical trait. East and West, there are those who would rather win points than arrive at solutions. And I include myself in that accusation.

If EWTN is mostly Roman Catholic in it's focus, that's to be expected; it is, after all, a Roman Catholic media outlet operated by Roman Catholics. If Eastern Catholics want a greater voice in the media, it might be helpful if there were those who were willing to step up to the plate and go out on a limb the way Mother Angelica did. What's to stop an Eastern Catholic priest or nun or layperson from doing what she did? Someone explain to me how the Latin Church shouldn't interfere with the Eastern Church, yet ought to be, at the same time, the premier proactive force for promoting the Eastern Catholicism and Orthodoxy.

Obviously Roman Catholic media are going to be primarily focused on Roman Catholicism. That is not a flaw; that is only natural. But let Eastern Christians do what EWTN does rather than fault EWTN for not being their voice. I am persuaded, however, that if there were Eastern Catholic media apostolates that wanted to partner with EWTN, EWTN would be only too delighted to welcome them and share their media ministry with them.


Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 839
I
Member
Offline
Member
I
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by Ot'ets Nastoiatel'
EWTN represents the emphysemic and asthmatic pre-Vatican II Church breathing (barely) with one lung on life support! It blithely ignores the Eastern Churches, whether Catholic or Orthodox. When it does turn its jaundiced eye in their direction, it disseminates outdated siege-mentality boilerplate. As to those who confess that EWTN and Fox News are their favorite networks, what can one say but that there are none blinder than those that refuse to see.
MSNBC?

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 839
I
Member
Offline
Member
I
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by Roman Interloper
It seems to me that if there is a Catholic equivalent of Fox, that's to be found not on EWTN, but within the oftentimes abrasive and even toxic Catholic blogosphere and on Catholic radio programs hosted by lay apologists, some of which might sometimes tend to be somewhat obtuse, agenda-driven, and ill-mannered, and therefore perhaps reminiscent of certain Fox News personalities or conservative political talk show hosts on the radio.
Like Chris Matthews? Lawrence O'Donnell? David Sirota? Michael Moore? Sean Hannity?
Originally Posted by Roman Interloper
I have noticed over the past year, however, that such negative characteristics are by no means exclusive to Catholics, Latin Rite or otherwise. Cunning dissimulation in an effort to seem to one-up an opponent in debate would appear to be a rather ecumenical trait. East and West, there are those who would rather win points than arrive at solutions. And I include myself in that accusation.

If EWTN is mostly Roman Catholic in it's focus, that's to be expected; it is, after all, a Roman Catholic media outlet operated by Roman Catholics. If Eastern Catholics want a greater voice in the media, it might be helpful if there were those who were willing to step up to the plate and go out on a limb the way Mother Angelica did. What's to stop an Eastern Catholic priest or nun or layperson from doing what she did? Someone explain to me how the Latin Church shouldn't interfere with the Eastern Church, yet ought to be, at the same time, the premier proactive force for promoting the Eastern Catholicism and Orthodoxy.
Leaving us alone would be fine for us Orthodox.
Originally Posted by Roman Interloper
Obviously Roman Catholic media are going to be primarily focused on Roman Catholicism.
How catholic of them. I guess the Orthodox aren't then only ones who can be ethnocentric.
Originally Posted by Roman Interloper
That is not a flaw; that is only natural. But let Eastern Christians do what EWTN does rather than fault EWTN for not being their voice. I am persuaded, however, that if there were Eastern Catholic media apostolates that wanted to partner with EWTN, EWTN would be only too delighted to welcome them and share their media ministry with them.
Fair enough.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 324
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 324
Quote
Leaving us alone would be fine for us Orthodox.

??? I'm not sure what that's meant to imply, but I am consoled to have experienced that there are many, many Orthodox priests and lay persons who do not echo in any way your caustic approach to the Catholic Church, and who genuinely love their Catholic brothers and sisters, rejoicing, not recoiling, at opportunities to embrace us in the bonds of fraternal love. These persuade me that faithful Catholics and faithful Orthodox are brothers along the Way, irrespective of those standing on the sidelines hurling rocks.

Quote
How catholic of them. I guess the Orthodox aren't then only ones who can be ethnocentric.

Ethocentric? In what way, precisely? To which single ethnicity do you imagine Roman Catholics belong?


Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 839
I
Member
Offline
Member
I
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by Roman Interloper
Quote
Leaving us alone would be fine for us Orthodox.

??? I'm not sure what that's meant to imply, but I am consoled to have experienced that there are many, many Orthodox priests and lay persons who do not echo in any way your caustic approach to the Catholic Church, and who genuinely love their Catholic brothers and sisters, rejoicing, not recoiling, at opportunities to embrace us in the bonds of fraternal love. These persuade me that faithful Catholics and faithful Orthodox are brothers along the Way, irrespective of those standing on the sidelines hurling rocks.
Would those be the same Orthodox that you were complaining about in your OP that they hold that "the Latin Church...ought to be...the premier proactive force for promoting...Orthodoxy"?

Perhaps they haven't learned, or forgotten, that such "promotion" never came without strings attached-interference at the very least.

Met. Hilarion etc. strikes the right balance, extending the hand in cooperation, but ripping those strings off and detaching them. If that seems "caustic", so be it.

Btw, I "genuinely love" my "Catholic...[full blooded] "sister[-]."

Originally Posted by Roman Interloper
How catholic of them. I guess the Orthodox aren't then only ones who can be ethnocentric.

Ethocentric? In what way, precisely? To which single ethnicity do you imagine Roman Catholics belong? [/quote]
Western European-it's not as universal as they imagine it to be.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 324
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 324
Quote
Would those be the same Orthodox that you were complaining about in your OP that they hold that "the Latin Church...ought to be...the premier proactive force for promoting...Orthodoxy"?

Nope. That wasn't a complaint, in fact, but an observation, and replacing my words with ellipses doesn't alter what I actually typed, does it? My remarks, in that case, constituted a response to a contradiction I am observing with respect to complaints sprinkled throughout this forum that the Western Church meddles in the business of Eastern Churches, on the one hand, yet doesn't, through it's media, actively promote the Eastern Churches on the other. "Leave us completely alone...but count us in." I find that "damned if you do, damned if you don't" approach to the Roman Catholic Church more than a little unfair, to be honest. Don't you?

But no, the Orthodox I refer to are every single Orthodox priest and layman I have ever had the pleasure to meet (and by now I have met many), at whose churches I have had the pleasure to worship, and at whose halls and festivals I have had the pleasure to break bread with, who have always welcomed me with enthusiastic hospitality and have never had a negative word to speak about the Catholic Church, but who, on the contrary, have frequently echoed my own desire that communion between our Churches be re-established.

There is a very healthy and lively ecumenical brotherhood of the Orthodox and Catholic Churches in my area. We lean on one another, we come to each others' aid, we attend each others' festivals, we promote each others' major events. Never have I encountered an Orthodox Christian with an axe to grind about Catholicism, and apart from traditionalist Roman Catholics who have an axe to grind about everyone, I am acquainted with no Catholics who have an axe to grind when it comes to Orthodoxy.

Quote
Western European...

Honestly. So I, an Irish-American, am of the same ethnicity as a Spaniard or a Norwegian? Are Roman Catholics in China, Korea, Taiwan, Japan, India, Vietnam, Polynesia, and the Philippines also of that one and the same "Western-European" Roman Catholic ethnicity?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2022 (Forum 1998-2022). All rights reserved.
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5