The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
OP Offline
L
Fr. Boris Gudziak, [ucu.edu.ua] rector of the Ukrainian Catholic University, Lviv, has today been named [press.catholica.va] titular Bishop of Carcabia and Apostolic Exarch for Ukrainian Catholics in France. The bishop-elect, a native of Syracuse, N.Y., and a priest of the archeparchy of Lviv, was born in 1960, has a Ph.D. from Harvard, and is working on a second doctorate from the Pontifical Oriental Institute in Rome. He will replace 83-year-old Canadian-born Bishop Michel (Hrynchyshyn) [catholic-hierarchy.org].

In a separate development, a new eparchy for Maronites in France was established [press.catholica.va] today. The new eparchy will be called Notre-Dame du Liban de Paris des Maronites and will be led by the Lebanese Syriac scholar Bishop-elect Nasser Gemayel, 61.

F
F
Axios! Axios! Axios!

F
F
Eis polla eti, Despota!

O
O
Eis poll eti, Despota

Excellent choice.
Mnohaya Lita Bishop elect Boris!

A
A
I've read from him the very interesting "Crisis and Reform: The Kyivan Metropolitanate, the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and the Genesis of the Union of Brest" link [amazon.com]

It is a very interesting text, which explains the reason of the Ukrainan Church under the mantle of Rome in the frame of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth.
This text also explains the true story of how Moscow obtained a patriarch, a story to be stigmatized as example of abduction and simony.

Last edited by antv; 07/21/12 05:22 PM.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Axios, Axios, Axios!

Eis polla aeti, Despota!

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
I
I
Originally Posted by antv
I've read from him the very interesting "Crisis and Reform: The Kyivan Metropolitanate, the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and the Genesis of the Union of Brest" link [amazon.com]

It is a very interesting text, which explains the reason of the Ukrainan Church under the mantle of Rome in the frame of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth.
This text also explains the true story of how Moscow obtained a patriarch, a story to be stigmatized as example of abduction and simony.
The Council of Constantinople of 1593, under the joint presidency of EP Jeremias II and Pope Meletius I Pegas (who also later, on his own authority and as locum tenens of the Ecumenical Throne, affirmed the decisions of the Orthodox Synod of Brest of 1596) did not so find. This Tomos fixed the status of the Patriarchate of Moscow in Orthodoxy.

S
S
Isa is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own history. Bishop Borys, when he was just Professor Gudziak, proved himself a brilliant, meticulous and perceptive historian. His book (which, from the dismissive manner in which Isa always treats it, I gather he has never read), is copiously documented from primary sources, which have a nasty habit of overturning post hoc attempts to rationalize skullduggery, incompetence and corruption.

G
G
Originally Posted by Latin Catholic
Fr. Boris Gudziak, [ucu.edu.ua] rector of the Ukrainian Catholic University, Lviv, has today been named [press.catholica.va] titular Bishop of Carcabia and Apostolic Exarch for Ukrainian Catholics in France. The bishop-elect, a native of Syracuse, N.Y., and a priest of the archeparchy of Lviv, was born in 1960, has a Ph.D. from Harvard, and is working on a second doctorate from the Pontifical Oriental Institute in Rome. He will replace 83-year-old Canadian-born Bishop Michel (Hrynchyshyn) [catholic-hierarchy.org].

Video of the installation. [youtube.com]

Indeed. One doesn't get through a Harvard dissertation, oral exams and extensive doctoral committee reviews writing polemic tracts or romanticized fiction. Nor is Bishop +Borys's interpretation of the role of Boris Godunov in the selection of Job, the coercion of Patriarch Jeremias II and the lack of synodal process innovative. Многая Літа, Владико!!!

I
I
Originally Posted by Diak
Indeed. One doesn't get through a Harvard dissertation, oral exams and extensive doctoral committee reviews writing polemic tracts or romanticized fiction.
Oh? Are you speaking from experience?

Nor is Bishop +Borys's interpretation of the role of Boris Godunov in the selection of Job, the coercion of Patriarch Jeremias II and the lack of synodal process innovative.
Nor is the attempt to downplay the role of Pope Meletios Pegas, and the Resident Synod Council of Constantinople of 1593.

The assertion of "lack of synodal process" is just that, an assertion, and polemical fictitious one at that.

The assertion of "lack of synodal process" is just that, an assertion, and polemical fictitious one at that.

Where are the acta of the Synod that elected Job? One would think that would be a cherised historical document for a church newly raised to autocephaly and granted a Patriarch. The election seems to have been that of Godunov, not a synod.

I
I

Where are the acta of the Synod that elected Job? One would think that would be a cherised historical document for a church newly raised to autocephaly and granted a Patriarch.
One would think the same place where the "acta" of his predecessors could be found-his election wasn't anything out of the ordinary besides the elevation of the Metropolitanate into a Patriarchate, two years AFTER he had been enthroned as Metropolitan in Moscow in 1586, i.e. years BEFORE his elevation to Patriarch.

Pat. St. Job's predecessors, the Metropolitans of Kiev and All Rus', had been autocephalous over a century before him, ever since the consecration of Met. St. Jonah in 1448, about whose consecration and enthronement we have several documents.

Yes, I'm aware the Phanar dreams of dating the autocephaly from 1589-it did in the '70s in the fight over the autocephaly of the OCA, and Patriarch Alexis or Pimen (I don't recall right now which one) reminded the EP that his predecessor himself had come to Moscow to celebrate the half millenial celebration in 1948. So much for "post hoc attempts to rationalize skullduggery, incompetence and corruption."

As for Pat. St. Job, the diploma of his elevation in 1589 is here
http://books.google.com/books?id=TU0MAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA95#v=onepage&q&f=false
the text of the Tomos of the Synod of 1593 can be seen here:
http://nasledie.russportal.ru/index.php?id=history.dejanie_1593

The election seems to have been that of Godunov, not a synod.
did Gudonov consecrate him?

The old 1819 transcription which is less than convincing. I would have thought you would have something better since the original of the Union of Brest with the wax seals has survived. I should also note this 1819 transcription is not in the original language nor orthography of the Slavonic in use at that time.

This document does not negate that (1) Jeremias came and picked Job out of three candidates; (2) Job was the candidate publically supported by Godunov out of the three candidates; and (3) there is no account of an actual synodal election of Job himself to be Patriarch of Moscow. A Sobor does not elect three candidates to be picked by another prelate (and/or civil authority), they elect one by consensus.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.