The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (NathanJA), 395 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Jaya Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Can anyone give some recommendations for good Orthodox parishes in the Northampton, MA area? (Or good Eastern Catholic ones, but they would need to be solidly Eastern.)

I'm asking for my son, who is evangelical, but feeling "undernourished" spiritually. He has recently stopped attending church, and is struggling with his personal prayer life. He has some deep questions on prayer and the spiritual life that he's wrestling with also. I suspect it's the sacramental-liturgical life that he's actually missing. He told me he recently attended one or two Roman Catholic Masses, but doesn't feel any interest in exploring the RC world any further.

He's 40 and single, so a graying parish is probably not a good fit. Ditto for a parish that's heavily focused on their ethnicity, and not so open to "outsiders."

Also, if you should know of an Eastern monastery in the region where he might be able to meet with someone who could help him with some of his questions on prayer and the spiritual life, that might be another avenue to pursue. It's my sense that for him, he may need to start by talking with someone, rather than by walking into a Sunday liturgy as his first step. He tends to approach things with his mind first, the heart following later.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Maronite Monastery of the Most Holy Trinity in Petersham, MA.

St. Nicholas Orthodox Church 23 Southworth St.West Springfield, MA 01089

Fr. Robert (Markovitch) celebrates bilingual Divine Liturgies at both Sts. Peter and Paul UGCC in Ludlow and Descent of the Holy Spirit UGCC in South Deerfield. He himself is a former M.D., a late vocation and very spiritual man.

J
Jaya Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Is anyone familiar with Sts Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church in Springfield (OCA), and if so, would you recommend it or not?

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Jaya,

I'm open to correction, but I can't get excited about the Maronite monastery in Petersham which Anne suggested. Although it belongs to the Maronite eparchy, it's a curious hybrid, with all of the monks being Latins.

A former member here, John Royce, of blessed memory, was a parishioner of Ss Peter & Paul OCA in Springfield and often spoke of it as a warm and welcoming spiritual home. It's almost a decade since John entered eternal repose, so I can't vouch that his description still holds true, but I offer that for what it's worth.

As to other parishes in the general area, Our Lady of Perpetual Help Melkite parish in Worcester MA, about 75 min from Northhampton via I-91 and the Mass Pike, is a very welcoming parish. Its pastor, Father Archimandrite Paul Frechette, certainly fits the description of everything one might hope for in a priest and spiritual counsellor.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
O
O
I'm with Neil on the topic of the Maronite Monks. They were discussed at some length a few years ago elsewhere.

Certainly since then they seem to have a very nice new website

The Maronite Monks of Adoration [maronitemonks.org]

I am concerned though - perhaps things have changed - but back in 2011 , when I first heard about them I was very concerned that a Maronite Monastery had no Maronite monks - they were all Latin Catholic then - very strange .

The Maronite Monks of Adoration (a very Latin-sounding name) are still mentioned on the parish list of the Our Lady of Lebanon Eparchial website.

J
Jaya Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks, Neil, for your suggestions also.

I looked at the Maronite monastery link, and I would have to agree with the others who've expressed reservations.

I'll send him the other suggestions, though. Thanks!

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.