The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Originally Posted by BenjaminRH
Is it not the mission of the sui iuris Eastern churches to disappear?
Perhaps, perhaps not. What's more important for me is that it isn't our mission to get Orthodox to switch sides:

Pastoral activity in the Catholic Church, Latin as well as Eastern, no longer aims at having the faithful of one Church pass over to the other

I
I
Christ is risen!
Originally Posted by Peter J
Perhaps, perhaps not. What's more important for me is that it isn't our mission to get Orthodox to switch sides:

Pastoral activity in the Catholic Church, Latin as well as Eastern, no longer aims at having the faithful of one Church pass over to the other
and whom are you quoting?

I
I
Christ is risen!
Some questions, as someone sitting on the fence between Orthodoxy and Catholicism:

1. If Rome was always Supreme, did the early Bishops of Rome appoint the bishops of other dioceses?

2. Why were early councils called by and presided over other bishops (such as the Council of Jerusalem), instead of the Bishop/Pope of Rome? Why did emperors like Constantine convene councils, instead of the Roman Pope?
1. No. They did try on occasion, but were rebuffed.
2. I'll someone who subscribes to Pastor Aeternus try to answer this one.

Originally Posted by IAlmisry
Christ is risen!

Good point. I meant to say that's from the Balamand Statement.

B
B
I agree Peter; the difference between the Orthodox and Rome is not similar to that of Baptists and Rome. Baptists, Mormons, etc. must actually come over to the one Church of Christ.

I
I
Christ is risen!

'Nuf said.

Christ is risen!

'Nuf said.

Thanks smile I try.

I just happened to notice that Fr. Taft's interview has now been published at pravoslavie.ru. They seem to have also edited out his comments on Orthodox traditionalists.

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/61580.htm

T
T
Catholicism and Orthodoxy: relativistic crap ecumenism. [sergesblog.blogspot.com]

Branch-theory nonsense, or no wonder 'ecumenist' is a fightin' word among online Orthodox.

E
E
Originally Posted by The young fogey
Catholicism and Orthodoxy: relativistic crap ecumenism. [sergesblog.blogspot.com]

Branch-theory nonsense, or no wonder 'ecumenist' is a fightin' word among online Orthodox.

If Taft's views represent branch-theory nonsense, then I must say that the 'branch-theory' really is nonsense, that is it is meaningless as a descriptive or diagnostic term.

I do not mean to deny the danger of relativism, nor to embrace it myself, but this term is thrown around so indiscriminately that it sometimes seems to rule out any attempt to work for unity among divided Christians as relativism.

To be fair, I think it's an improvement over the Union of Brest. As a matter of fact, it's what the Union of Brest was going to be, supposedly.

S
S
Sergei long ago became reflexively reactionary, which is a shame. The world has quite enough Father Vasily Vasileviches as it is, and not nearly enough people who venerate Tradition as the living faith of the dead. The difference between Taft and his critics is Taft knows the history of the division, and thus has been liberated from the stultifying polemics of the past thousand years.

Is it not the mission of the sui iuris Eastern churches to disappear? I don't mean that rudely, but won't the Eastern Catholic Churches "melt" into the Orthodox Church when there is true unity again?

Eventually, God willing, there will be no Eastern Catholic Churches which are out of Communion with the Eastern Orthodox Churches. But we aren't close to that point. It would be cruel and unwise to make them pawns; liquidation of the EC at this time should not be a discussion topic. The Communists tried liquidation and failed.

I
I
Originally Posted by Paul B
Is it not the mission of the sui iuris Eastern churches to disappear? I don't mean that rudely, but won't the Eastern Catholic Churches "melt" into the Orthodox Church when there is true unity again?

Eventually, God willing, there will be no Eastern Catholic Churches which are out of Communion with the Eastern Orthodox Churches. But we aren't close to that point. It would be cruel and unwise to make them pawns; liquidation of the EC at this time should not be a discussion topic. The Communists tried liquidation and failed.
oh? any more than the various "unions" failed for Old Rome to liquidate the Orthodox?

S
S
It must be good to be able to wallow in one's own rectitude.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.