The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989
5,991 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bishop Titus), 551 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,746
Members5,991
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
T
T
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Originally Posted by The young fogey
By the way, Catholic doesn't necessarily mean ultramontanist. As a traditionalist I'm actually a papal minimalist, more interested in organic immemorial custom just like the Orthodox. The Pope is a distant figure to most Catholics; he's rarely used his office's infallibility; in 200 years he's used it twice, and to define things Catholics already believed. So it doesn't make sense to us when non-Catholics get upset over papal power.

Dear Sergey,

Are you serious? A "distant figure?" Sorry, you are way off here. Pope John Paul II, Pope Benedict XVI and now Pope Francis are anything but "distant" to many Catholics.

Alex

Yeah, I'm serious. I know of the kind of Catholic you mean, but that's not me nor the ethnic cultural Catholics I know (such as Italian-Americans).

Like good po-nashomu folk, I have my Mass as it's been done for centuries, I send the Pope my Peter's Pence offering money, he leaves me alone, and I leave him alone.

T
T
(Sidebar: when the Catholic Church was legalized again in Britain, in the 1800s, I think someone in the hierarchy considered and asked Rome about reviving Sarum and was turned down. Sorry, the 'Reformation' killed it and the other medieval English recensions.)

A friend writes that actually I got it backwards:

The idea was to revive Sarum as (solely and exclusively) the rite of Westminster Cathedral. Rome was, apparently, quite open to the idea; it was the (then ultramontane) English Catholic bishops who turned the idea down. Since the cathedral was built between 1885 ans 1903, it must have been at that time that the Sarum suggestion was mooted.

S
S
In fact, all evidence is to the contrary. Moscow was considered, at that time, to be, as the Kyivan Orthodox Metropolitans referred to it, "Barbaric Muscovy" and its clergy to be illiterate and culturally inferior.

Bishop (then-Professor) Borys Gudziak's book, Crisis and Reform: The Kyivan Metr...le and the Origins of the Union of Brest [amazon.com] is extensively documented and is considered definitive.

S
S
Major Archbishop Svyatoslav

That's Patriarch Svyatoslav, bub.

S
S
Are you serious? A "distant figure?" Sorry, you are way off here. Pope John Paul II, Pope Benedict XVI and now Pope Francis are anything but "distant" to many Catholics.

The typical Roman Catholic knows more about the Pope than about his diocesan bishop--assuming he knows the name of his bishop at all. One of Pope Francis' objectives seems to be the dismantling of the cult of personality that has grown up around modern Popes. Both he and Pope Benedict were more than a little dismayed by the phenomenon of "John Paul II Superstar".

S
S
I brought up '50s America because of these folks' exoticism; yes, they pretend to be Eastern to look cool; '50s America is everything they're rebelling against. Just like the politically correct and their diversity fetish. Again, anti-Western Westerners.

Now you're just being an ass. You aren't even old enough to remember the fifties, so what you really miss is the Ozzy & Harriet caricature of the fifties. Try to remember that there are no golden ages, and that any time described as one had as many real problems as the present day.

Peter J Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
By the way, Catholic doesn't necessarily mean ultramontanist. As a traditionalist I'm actually a papal minimalist, more interested in organic immemorial custom just like the Orthodox. The Pope is a distant figure to most Catholics; he's rarely used his office's infallibility; in 200 years he's used it twice, and to define things Catholics already believed. So it doesn't make sense to us when non-Catholics get upset over papal power.

Alex

Yeah, I'm serious. I know of the kind of Catholic you mean, but that's not me nor the ethnic cultural Catholics I know (such as Italian-Americans).

Like good po-nashomu folk, I have my Mass as it's been done for centuries, I send the Pope my Peter's Pence offering money, he leaves me alone, and I leave him alone.
"The Pope is a distant figure to most Catholics". Are you speaking just of how things are now (since Vatican II), or are you saying that's been true for a while?

Originally Posted by StuartK

The typical Roman Catholic knows more about the Pope than about his diocesan bishop--assuming he knows the name of his bishop at all.
grin
One of Pope Francis' objectives seems to be the dismantling of the cult of personality that has grown up around modern Popes. Both he and Pope Benedict were more than a little dismayed by the phenomenon of "John Paul II Superstar".
Frankly, I could never understand why tickets for "John Paul II Superstar" always sold out. ("Joseph Ratizinger and the Coat of Many Colors" was pretty good though.)

Peter J Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't like the Ukrainian Catholics moving their HQ to Kiev either; goes against Catholic policy of pursuing corporate reunion and thus good relations with the Orthodox. But it's not heresy and frankly, after all they've been through (the Soviet occupation banning their church, stealing their church buildings, and trying to force them into the Soviet-controlled Russian Orthodox Church), it's understandable.
That's a tough one, that is. One the hand, far be it from me to think that we should flat-out disregard the sentiments of the Orthodox ... but on the other hand, sometimes it seems like we're inviting the Orthodox to put a finger in our pie, so to speak.

S
S
("Joseph Ratizinger and the Coat of Many Colors" was pretty good though.)

I think you meant "Joseph Ratzinger and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Surplice".

T
T
"The Pope is a distant figure to most Catholics". Are you speaking just of how things are now (since Vatican II), or are you saying that's been true for a while?
I'm saying that's been true for a long time. The church isn't a cult; the Pope couldn't micromanage you now even if he wanted to. Certainly true in the centuries of poor means of communication and travel. Again, we're puzzled when non-Catholics go on about the Pope being a tyrant. How it really works, including in the wonderful big tent of pre-conciliar Catholicism: there are lots of nominal and ignorant Catholics who don't agree with the church. The church doesn't go after them. It only bothers to excommunicate you for heresy if you're educated enough to know better, are in a position of trust such as a bishop or a professor, and have been warned (the church's version of due process).

Pseudo-Orthodox dissenter Catholics who preach on the Internet are a modern equivalent of a pro-abortion Catholic politician or a theologian spreading his error in the high levels of academia. Arguably worse because the Internet is a global mass medium, a powerful pulpit. Unlike the legions of ornery lapsed Catholics, they cause scandal, so they should be excommunicated.

The Pope as modern media star is shallow and a Novus Ordo conservative thing, not a trad or ethnic one. Interestingly, that wasn't Benedict, the high-church, shy German professor happy with playing Mozart on his piano and playing with his cats. He was never ultramontane. Although I wish he stayed, it fits his views that his last lesson as Pope, the act of stepping down, was about the limits of the man holding the office.

Again I'm all for good relations with the Orthodox with the goal of bringing all of them in. That said, I have no problem calling Svyatoslav a patriarch out of courtesy nor his becoming one in name as well as fact.

Peter J Offline OP
OP Offline
("Joseph Ratizinger and the Coat of Many Colors" was pretty good though.)
I think you meant "Joseph Ratzinger and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Surplice".
Oh right. (I didn't have the playbill in front of me, and apparently my memory isn't as sharp as it once was.)

T
T
DMD, this [sergesblog.blogspot.com] is what I was talking about: my first traditional Catholic Mass, first Byzantine Rite Divine Liturgy, and first experience of East Slavic Christianity, all the same service.

AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
Pseudo-Orthodox dissenter Catholics who preach on the Internet are a modern equivalent of a pro-abortion Catholic politician or a theologian spreading his error in the high levels of academia. Arguably worse because the Internet is a global mass medium, a powerful pulpit. Unlike the legions of ornery lapsed Catholics, they cause scandal, so they should be excommunicated.

You really expect to be taken seriously putting out such trash as this?

T
T
There's the calling of Greek Catholics, according to Rome, to bear witness to the one Catholic faith in an Orthodox way, which I think is the mission of this board, and then there's dissent. If you are Catholic and preaching against church teaching online, you deserve the same scrutiny as a ranking churchman, professor, or politician, including, when deserved, excommunication.

AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
The comparison to the promotion of abortion is absurd. Stuart wad right in a recent post--you're just being an ass.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.