The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Eala, Halogirl5, MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn
6,001 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 224 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,400
Posts416,781
Members6,001
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
OP Offline
L
http://www.romereports.com/palio/pope-francis-greets-muslims-for-the-start-of-ramadan-english-10488.html#.Ud3mY-5q14o

What do my Eastern brethren think about this? Wouldn't this be heretical since he is encourging the practice of a false religion?

God Bless!

AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
I see it as nothing other than an act of kindness towards Muslims, not as an heretical act of encouraging the practice of a false religion.

If one believes the God of Christians is the same God of Muslims, what is wrong with encouraging them to fast?

We still believe that fasting brings us closer to God, don't we?

Well, this Eastern brother thinks that no Catholic should be too quick to accuse a pope of heresy!

Traditional Latin Catholics can't have it both ways in that if Eastern Christians bring up the spectre of Pope Honorius I and the Monothelites as a way to say there were popes who not only did untoward things, but were actually condemned by Rome for doing so, we get set upon by Latin Trads.

But Latin Trads don't mind accusing recent popes of untoward things . . .

To wish someone a good Ramadan etc. is simply being a religious gentleman.

Pope Francis is a remarkable pope in this and many other regards. All Catholics, and indeed the world, should thank God for him.

Alex

T
T
Happy Ramadan!

[Linked Image]

But Latin Trads don't mind accusing recent popes of untoward things . . .

And some are too quick to jump in with condemnations of "Latin Trads."

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Originally Posted by Paul B
If one believes the God of Christians is the same God of Muslims ...
And in case there's any doubt about that, here's the text of article 3 from Nostra Aetate (V-II Declaration on the Relation of the Church to Non-Christian Religions):
The Church regards with esteem also the Muslims. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all-powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

Since in the course of centuries not a few quarrels and hostilities have arisen between Christians and Moslems, this sacred synod urges all to forget the past and to work sincerely for mutual understanding and to preserve as well as to promote together for the benefit of all mankind social justice and moral welfare, as well as peace and freedom.
[Note (5) above refers to a quotation from St. Gregory VII, letter XXI to Anzir (Nacir), King of Mauritania (Pl. 148, col. 450f.)]

Peace,
Deacon Richard

Guilty as charged sir!

If you could show me how I'm wrong, I will repent.

Alex

Happy Ramadan to you too, Tomassus!

Are you a Latin Traditionalist? I just ask because JBenedict seems to think I'm being nasty to Latin Trads . . . sniff . . .

Alex

Dear JBenedict,

I see you are a Latin Traditionalist - not that there's anything wrong with that.

What do you think about the pope wishing Muslims a happy Ramadan?

Alex

What do you think about the pope wishing Muslims a happy Ramadan?

I don't have a problem with it.

The problem with your comment is that it's a rant about Latin traditionalists that a) groups them all together and b) haven't said anything like that in this thread.

Well, I hope it wasn't a rant.

I've just come across many Latin Trads (a number of them with the SSPX) who just love to pillory the recent popes, and for things like this.

I apologise if I've given offense.

Was just defending the Pope of Rome - Viva il Papa!!

Alex

P
P
Originally Posted by Epiphanius
Originally Posted by Paul B
If one believes the God of Christians is the same God of Muslims ...
And in case there's any doubt about that, here's the text of article 3 from Nostra Aetate (V-II Declaration on the Relation of the Church to Non-Christian Religions):
The Church regards with esteem also the Muslims. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all-powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

Since in the course of centuries not a few quarrels and hostilities have arisen between Christians and Moslems, this sacred synod urges all to forget the past and to work sincerely for mutual understanding and to preserve as well as to promote together for the benefit of all mankind social justice and moral welfare, as well as peace and freedom.
[Note (5) above refers to a quotation from St. Gregory VII, letter XXI to Anzir (Nacir), King of Mauritania (Pl. 148, col. 450f.)]

Peace,
Deacon Richard

This unfortunately is a very idealized and shortsighted view of Islam, and its practice as evidenced by daily news stories seems far from this ideal. I could start with the persecution of Christians across the Muslim world and end with the recent slaying of the British soldier in England. I don't buy into the argument that the vast majority of Muslims are in fact peaceful, tolerant people. Regardless of whether they practice Jihad, they generally don't "melt" into any melting pots. don't intermarry, and most believe eventually Islam will prevail worldwide. They will eventually hold a majority in Europe and at that point will use the democracy that protected them to destroy that very democracy. Anyone who believes that the present violence we are seeing from Muslims is something temporary that will some day be reasoned away needs to have a good read of the Koran and history.

That doesn't mean I have a problem with the Pope wishing them a Happy Ramadan or extending peaceful greetings. I just don't think it will stop them from burning the next church or killing the next priest.

Just as there are divisions in Christianity, there are divisions in Mohammedanism. We ought not "paint the canvas with a broad stroke."

T
T
Pro-Morsi demonstration at Al-Aqsa Mosque: U.S., France, Britain to be destroyed, Rome to be conquered

Jihad Watch
July 17, 2013

There were also calls for the restoration of the caliphate. The caliphate is supposed to be the unitary state in which every Muslim is a citizen. In Sunni theology, only the caliph is authorized to wage offensive jihad -- which is one reason (but not the only reason) why in the current absence of a caliph all jihads are justified by endless grievance-mongering. All jihad is currently defensive, so the grievances have to be retailed.

This crowd also repeated the genocidal and anti-Semitic "Khaybar" war chant.

“Pro-Morsi Demonstration at Al-Aqsa Mosque: U.S., France, Britain to Be Destroyed, Rome to Be Conquered,” from MEMRI, July 12:

Following are excerpts from a pro-Morsi demonstration held outside the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem, which was posted on the Internet on July 12, 2013:

Palestinian cleric: Allah Akbar. May America be destroyed.
Crowd: Allah Akbar.

Palestinian cleric: Allah Akbar. May France be destroyed.
Crowd: Allah Akbar. May France be destroyed.

Palestinian cleric: Allah Akbar. May Rome be conquered.
Crowd: Allah Akbar. May Rome be conquered.

Palestinian cleric: Allah Akbar. May America be destroyed.
Crowd: Allah Akbar. May America be destroyed.

Palestinian cleric: Allah Akbar. May France be destroyed.
Crowd: Allah Akbar. May France be destroyed.

Palestinian cleric: Allah Akbar. May Britain be destroyed.
Crowd: Allah Akbar. May Britain be destroyed.

Palestinian cleric: Allah Akbar. May Rome be conquered.
Crowd: Allah Akbar. May Rome be conquered.

More of this raving and ranting at http://www.jihadwatch.org/2013/07/p...o-be-destroyed-rome-to-be-conquered.html

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.