The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
T
T
Originally Posted by Peter J
Ha! cool I knew the firestorm would burn itself out if I wait long enough. (And even if it hasn't I don't want to wait any longer. wink )

Originally Posted by The young fogey
There are bloggers and then there are public fora such as this where Catholics and inquirers look for Catholic answers.
Hoo ... don't get me started on catholic answers.

The Catholic faith: believing all the doctrines Rome has defined since the schism, but Greek Catholics' calling is to express them in Orthodox terms, which of course the Orthodox don't think is possible.
Meh, I've kind of given up on the idea of being an honorary Orthodox.

'Catholic answers.' Haha; just a coincidence. Like I said, I never read it.

So that's what you meant by honorary Orthodox. Gotcha.

G
G
Amen!

I was born Roman Catholic, My parents became Protestant in my teens, came back to the RC in my late 20s, was active into my mid 30s, but did not feel my local parish offered the spiritual growth that I felt I needed, but I wanted to remain Catholic. While Visiting Russia, I discovered the Orthodox side of Catholicism. (my grandmother had escaped the 1917 revolution, moved to France where she became a devout RC).

Through a family crisis, in my early 40s I embraced Orthodoxy. I know this is my home , but along the way I found the hand of Christ at work in all the various churches.

Before I became Orthodox, I always thought that the first split of the church was the reformation with Martin Luther. Now I see it was within the Catholic church itself. We as Christians suffer from so much dissent. I pray that with Christ's help we can overcome the divisions within the catholic faith.

V
V
I don't like the Ukrainian Catholics moving their HQ to Kiev either; goes against Catholic policy of pursuing corporate reunion and thus good relations with the Orthodox. But it's not heresy and frankly, after all they've been through (the Soviet occupation banning their church, stealing their church buildings, and trying to force them into the Soviet-controlled Russian Orthodox Church), it's understandable.
That's a tough one, that is. One the hand, far be it from me to think that we should flat-out disregard the sentiments of the Orthodox ... but on the other hand, sometimes it seems like we're inviting the Orthodox to put a finger in our pie, so to speak.

Why shouldn't Ukrainian Catholics move where their capital is?
Not to annoy Moscow?
They can be annoyed as much as they wish.
And I do not think any Ukrainians will appreciate Canadians and Americans reasoning in what they should or shouldn't do in order "not to annoy Moscow" - you guys are way overstepping your authority even in theory.

In fact, it was the Orthodox Metropolitan of KIEV (there, is everyone happy? smile ), who signed the Union of Brest.

And that city is the capital of Ukraine (formerly known as "Little Russia," "southwest Russia," etc.).

The only ones upset by the move is the Russian Orthodox Church which has renamed itself as the "Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Patriarchate."

The Ukrainians themselves don't seem to mind at all.

Alex

Well, the agenda of not annoying Moscow is certainly that of Rome's ostpolitik, wouldn't you say?

Alex

I
I
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
In fact, it was the Orthodox Metropolitan of KIEV (there, is everyone happy? smile ), who signed the Union of Brest.
He was in Navahrudak and Vilnius, and got deposed for it by the same authority who had deposed his predecessor and put him in office. Is it verified that he ever set foot in Kiev?
And that city is the capital of Ukraine (formerly known as "Little Russia," "southwest Russia," etc.).
You forgot "Southern Lithuania" and "Southeast Poland."
The only ones upset by the move is the Russian Orthodox Church which has renamed itself as the "Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Patriarchate."
No, it is the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. Others tag on "Moscow Patriarchate" to distinguish it from the so called "Kiev Patriarchate" who is also not so keen on the move.
The Ukrainians themselves don't seem to mind at all.
I hear differently.

I
I
Originally Posted by Vox Populi
I don't like the Ukrainian Catholics moving their HQ to Kiev either; goes against Catholic policy of pursuing corporate reunion and thus good relations with the Orthodox. But it's not heresy and frankly, after all they've been through (the Soviet occupation banning their church, stealing their church buildings, and trying to force them into the Soviet-controlled Russian Orthodox Church), it's understandable.
That's a tough one, that is. One the hand, far be it from me to think that we should flat-out disregard the sentiments of the Orthodox ... but on the other hand, sometimes it seems like we're inviting the Orthodox to put a finger in our pie, so to speak.

You meant the UGCC? Same reasons the "Italo-Albanian/Greek Catholic Church" cannot have their Metropolitan in Rome, plus the canonical issue.
[
Not to annoy Moscow?
And I do not think any Ukrainians will appreciate Canadians and Americans reasoning in what they should or shouldn't do in order "not to annoy Moscow" - you guys are way overstepping your authority even in theory.
The Orthodox are not.

[quote]
You meant the UGCC? Same reasons the "Italo-Albanian/Greek Catholic Church" cannot have their Metropolitan in Rome, plus the canonical issue.
Am I missing something, ain't "their Metropolitan" the canonical Catholic Bishop of Rome HH Francis?

Isa,

Did the Orthodox Metropolitans of Kiev living in Moscow ever set foot in Kiev? I've read that that Metropolitan who signed the Unia of Brest did set foot in Kiev, but how does that change anything concerning his title?

Yes, thank you for the other titles given Ukraine by those who overran it. Coptic Christians have a similar view of the Arabs who overran them.

The UOC-MP is a concocted title, concocted when Ukraine broke away from the Russian yoke. The Baltic countries, I believe, didn't allow the ROC there to do something similar.

As for the non-canonical Orthodox, you are simply wrong and have been hearing the wrong things. I know you are wrong because I've spoken directly with the leadership of the UOC-KP on this very matter as well as numerous priests and lay parish leaders in Ukraine. Perhaps you've also heard there are UOC-KP parishes who use the same building as UGCC parish communities?

The UOC-KP patriarch came to Canada and visited one of our UGCC parishes where he even gave an award to our parish priest for his services to seniors. All the UGCC priests there kissed the patriarch's hand - I saw that and it is on Youtube.

Many Orthodox Ukrainians of the UOCC came out to see him and they were, in turn, very upset that their Metropolitan forbade them from having anything to do with Patriarch Filaret - I would take him as my patriarch too. I've also sent funds to their publishing house for the printing of their "Passia" and other texts. They were pleasantly surprised to hear I'm UGCC but no cries of "Uniate!" and the like.

Judging from your views, I think you've been listening to very narrow-minded crowd, Big Guy.

Alex

I
I
Originally Posted by Michael_Thoma
[quote]
Am I missing something, ain't "their Metropolitan" the canonical Catholic Bishop of Rome HH Francis?
Like his Ruthenians.

Peter J Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Michael_Thoma
Originally Posted by IAlmisry
Good point, he is.

Peter J Offline OP
OP Offline
Isa,

Did the Orthodox Metropolitans of Kiev living in Moscow ever set foot in Kiev? I've read that that Metropolitan who signed the Unia of Brest did set foot in Kiev, but how does that change anything concerning his title?
[Linked Image]

Indeed, the original topic (i.e. that someone who is in the process of leaving Orthodoxy should still consider himself/herself Orthodox with respect to receiving communion) was only about 20% of this thread. blush I can't really complain, it's been a very interesting thread.

Many Orthodox Ukrainians of the UOCC came out to see him and they were, in turn, very upset that their Metropolitan forbade them from having anything to do with Patriarch Filaret - I would take him as my patriarch too.
But he isn't your patriarch.

V
V
Well, the agenda of not annoying Moscow is certainly that of Rome's ostpolitik, wouldn't you say?

Alex

It is but the best policy is to ignore them. We, being a 5 mln member Church have more power than illusory ecumenism wink

V
V
Originally Posted by IAlmisry

[
Not to annoy Moscow?
The Orthodox are not.

I could not care less about Italo-whatever.
Ukrainian capital IS Kyiv and Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church is going to have their center there. Period.
Even if all the Orthodox in Russia and abroad are going to hate.
It's none of their business.

You are right sir!

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.