The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Sorry frown that's against the rules.

Have you forgotten our backroom deal, when I said I would post it on the 28th post? grin

An acquaintance of mine, a former Anglican who joined the Western Rite of ROCOR last year, just contacted me to say that he and his wife have now joined . . . the Anglican Ordinariate.

They said they felt the Eastern Orthodox just "don't like us Westerners."

FYI

Alex

F
F

F
F
Re: Rocor western rite dissappears

Try: ROCOR Western Rite Disappears

Of course the title of this thread is in factual error, but what I really can't stand is when spelling errors head every post, including mine.

A
A
Perhaps it is time to fix it then? smile

D
DMD Offline
D
We all are products of our environment and our own histories. My religious outlook was formed in the aftermath of the great turmoils and bitter schism within the Greek Catholic church of the mid twentieth century. That being said, as I observe the ROCOR WRO developments, including the July 15th letter of Metropolitan Hilarion, it is , to me at least, as if the Church of Rome had recalled Bishop Basil Takach in 1935, placed the Ruthentian Greek Catholics under the Latin Rite Archbishop of NY and politely told them this was being done to more fully integrate them into the Catholic faith.

I find the whole matter sublimely ironic. I hope I am wrong, but as I noted, we are what we are for a variety of reasons which shape our perceptions.

Dear DMD,

In fact, my acquaintance above who has joined the Ordinariate from the WRO of ROCOR and who is doing a doctorate in church history, said something similar.

Andrew said that "what ROCOR has done with the Western Rite is something Rome would never have done to the Eastern Churches."

He is also bringing some colleagues over to the Ordinariate with him.

There is some bitterness, but what is a convert without some bitterness? smile

Have a great day sir!

Alex

D
DMD Offline
D
I daresay had Rome acted in such a matter, that would have unified most of the Rusyn, Lemko and Ukrainian communities in a manner not expected. However, even the Vatican of Popes Pius XI and XII had more common sense than to act that way.....

Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Andrew said that "what ROCOR has done with the Western Rite is something Rome would never have done to the Eastern Churches."
I think the Orthodox could use a little bit of the "spirit of Vatican II".

grin I'm kidding of course ... well, kind of.

C
C
Originally Posted by Fr David Straut
Re: Rocor western rite dissappears

Try: ROCOR Western Rite Disappears

Of course the title of this thread is in factual error, but what I really can't stand is when spelling errors head every post, including mine.

Fr. David,

Forgive me for my errors in spelling. I was in a hurry. But that still does not answer the questions posed from myself and other posters here. Since you have stood up and informed us that you are a person of authority on this matter, then are you willing to explain points 8&9?

Or do you need to wait for the commission to make that statement?

Another question; who was assigned as the priest over Nathan Monk? Or is that another thing the commission is going to work on. An ecclesiastical structure for the ROCOR WR.

Chad

A
A
Prayers for all the ROCOR Western Rite Orthodox. This is no doubt a trying time for them. I hope that they find peace and joy in the Byzantine Rite liturgy.

F
F
Dear Chadrook,

I answered your question above with a link to Metropolitan Hilarion's recent Epistle.

Here it is again: http://www.rwrv.org/files/decrees/WRCommunityStatus.pdf

Believe me, I have more work than I can handle on the Commission right now. I am communicating, as best I can, with the clergy of the Western Rite. When the Commission has any official statements, I'll let everyone know.

Fr David Straut

Todd,

My friend Andrew has read your post and wishes you the same peace he has found in the Western Rite!

Alex

Alright.

Listen up everyone.

Since last Friday, over 10 internet forums and blogs have announced that ROCOR Western rite was officially shut down by that ukaze (decree).

Most of the actual ROCOR WR priests upon initial reading of decree, especially point #8, also immediately thought that it ment that the WR was suppressed.

Even our favorite announcer John Maddox of Ancient Faith Radio on their special program "Correcting a Canonical Anomaly (One Bishop per city)" http://audio.ancientfaith.com/interviews/afp_2013-07-19.mp3 announced that ROCOR had stopped its western rite.

OK....

Rev. Fr. David Straut, I dearly respect you and pray for you and all ROCOR along with His Grace Met. Hilarion. Yet we wonder who is responsible for the wording of a decree in a way that misleads people?

I suggest that there be official an apology for a wording that nearly everyone was mislead by. I know it was not intentional but it has occurred. Too many people are upset and hurt by it.

Numerous ROCOR WR missions and parishes have now lost people who were interested in them.

Someone needs to admit a mistake was made in the wording.
You have everything to gain if someone does and everything to lose if someone does not.

If ROCOR does not clean up it's act, I do not think it's WR will have a future for growth for many years to come. That is my honest opinion.

I sincerely believe in the concept and knew many people within the ROCOR WR. I witnessed a miraculous Icon at one of it's Churches. I know much holiness was there, despite whatever problems also were there. I deeply hope ROCOR WR succeeds and survives. No other church on earth allowed the ancient Sarum use Roman Mass and Office in both Latin and English to be celebrated again fully as a living tradition within Orthodoxy. (Compare that to the recent Roman Catholic Anglican use ordinariate decision made that writes off revival of the sarum use as antiquarian nonsense that is irrelevant to the current day anglican/english catholic patrimony.)

Psalm 40:

8 All mine enemies whispered against me; even against me did they imagine this evil.

9 They spread a slanderous word against me, Now that he sleepeth, he shall not rise up again.

10 Yea, even mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, who did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.

11 But Thou, O Lord, have mercy upon me, and raise me up, and I shall pay them back.

12 By this I know Thou favorest me, that mine enemy doth not triumph against me.

13 But Thou hast taken my side by reason of my innocence, and hast established me before Thee for ever.

14 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel from everlasting to everlasting. So be it. So be it.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost;

As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be
even unto ages of ages. Amen

Originally Posted by Xristoforos
Rev. Fr. David Straut, I dearly respect you and pray for you and all ROCOR along with His Grace Met. Hilarion. Yet we wonder who is responsible for the wording of a decree in a way that misleads people?
Alright, but how do you know that they didn't mean ... well, what most people interpreted it to mean?

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.