The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 425 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
OP Offline
T
[Liturgical dance, Byzantine Catholic style:] The Redemption of Bathsheba before the beautiful gates

Byzantine, Texas
July 23, 2013
http://byztex.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-redemption-of-bathsheba-before.html

The Redemption of Bathsheba - "A collection of dances that evoke the spirits of the Bible's most intriguing women." - Saint John Chrysostom Byzantine Catholic Church, Pittsburgh, PA. Even if done outside the Liturgy, is this appropriate inside a sanctuary?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More pictures at the parish website at http://www.sjcbcc.com/bathsheba2012.html

L
L
Originally Posted by Tomassus
More pictures at the parish website at http://www.sjcbcc.com/bathsheba2012.html
And on their Facebook [facebook.com]

eek . shocked . cry

D
DMD Offline
D
Sigh. I don't know how things work in the BCC. Could the pastor decide this on his own or would he need a blessing from Metropolitan William? I imagine the parish old timers at Rus'ka Dolina were not amused. I could see a choral concert of religious themed music, even a Warhol retrospective in the vestibule if properly catalogued and curated, but this? No way.

Oh no, the Ruthenians have gone mad!

It's beyond me just how this could even be considered normal tradition in a sanctuary. I see another gray hair in my gray patch blooming.

L
L
Originally Posted by DMD
Sigh. I don't know how things work in the BCC. Could the pastor decide this on his own or would he need a blessing from Metropolitan William? I imagine the parish old timers at Rus'ka Dolina were not amused. I could see a choral concert of religious themed music, even a Warhol retrospective in the vestibule if properly catalogued and curated, but this? No way.

How to mortify other Eastern Catholics, and set ecumenism back a century. As an Eastern Catholic of another ritual Church it embarrasses me to see this. I've been tempted to write their bishop myself.

I can say, sadly, these women have more fabric on their bodies, granted it's sheer, than do a lot of the young women at the Holy Virgin Cathedral (ROCOR) where the detail of covering one's head seems to be enough to justify dresses skin tight, pronounced cleavage, and often well above the knee. The Greek Orthodox Cathedral isn't much different. I don't expect them to dress like the stereotype yiayia or babushka, but...

As far as "The Redemption of Bathsheba", the catechesis has been literally misplaced.

Someone else can look up the actual instructions, but I know in the Latin Church if a lecture or concert etc is being presented in the church the Blessed Sacrament is to be removed from the tabernacle and reposed elsewhere. I have certainly witnessed this many times, including the Lessons and Carols in the Dominican Priory chapel last Advent. I have also seen it not happen...

I have no idea about any special provisions in the East. We did have a Roman Catholic priest give a lecture recently in our chapel, and our priests have also lectured in there. We don't yet have a real iconostasis so no Royal Doors. The curtain was closed across the area of the Royal Doors.

D
DMD Offline
D
Surely there are seismic anomalies near St John Chrysostom parish cemetery from the wild spinning in the graves of the departed builders and benefactors of the parish. "Boze moj'" as my Baba undoubtedly would have said.

Slava Isusu Khrystu!

Liturgical Dance has no place in a Byzantine Church! Especially in the sanctuary! The Church is a place for reverence and decorum NOT DANCING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dancing is for night clubs!

L
L
This is the strangest thing I have seen in any BCC parish. As a member of the Byzantine Catholic Church I feel that this is sad. It almost looks like they used the grave where the shroud is placed on Good Friday as a prop in the background. I am so saddened that such a historic church which played a very important role in the history of The Rusyn Greek Catholic Churches is being used for such purposes. I don't know how many members still belong to St John Chrysostom these days, but it seems as if the church is already being used as a museum rather than a temple of the living God. Very Sad indeed.

D
DMD Offline
D
It is sad, my grandfather briefly attended there before World War one and moving to New Jersey. He was angry about much that happened in the Ruthenian Greek Catholic world of his times, however, this would have saddened him greatly.

What was the pastor thinking?

This surely would have broken the heart of the venerable sage and historian of our Rusyn forefathers, the late Michael Roman, of that parish if memory serves me right, who chronicled our people's struggles for over fifty years through the pages of the GCU Messenger.

Last edited by DMD; 08/06/13 09:43 PM.
J
J
Originally Posted by likethethief
How to mortify other Eastern Catholics, and set ecumenism back a century. As an Eastern Catholic of another ritual Church it embarrasses me to see this.
As a member of the BCC, I'm not only mortified and embarrassed, I am horrified. What were they thinking? I know we have our problems, but this? It's really disheartening.

Fr. Ron
Fr. Ron
And I don't know the configuration of this church, but unless there is a Eucharistic Liturgy going on or the reading of the Gospel at that point in a non-Eucharistic Liturgy, the Royal Doors should not be open!

Fr. Ron
Fr. Ron
Want to see some videos of it?
https://www.facebook.com/SJCBCC

Well, the only "good" thing I can say is that the dancers have great legs and look terrific in those see-through skirts!

But how sacrilegious to do this before the Holy of Holies.

Alex

L
L
Originally Posted by Fr. Ron Hatton
And I don't know the configuration of this church, but unless there is a Eucharistic Liturgy going on or the reading of the Gospel at that point in a non-Eucharistic Liturgy, the Royal Doors should not be open!

In looking at the photos it appears the Royal Doors are closed. The Doors seem to be very minimal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.