The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Paderau, Chaplainjosephg66, JamesOrange, elisha, Samuil
5,977 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 182 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,385
Posts416,710
Members5,977
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
Considering all the positive things that Saint John Paul II did for the Eastern Catholic Churches (ECC), has there been any decision by any of the ECC to add his feast day to their respective liturgical calendars?

P
P
While we're on the subject, does anyone know if any Byzantine-rite Catholic Church is writing an office for Ss John and John Paul?

Or do we use the Common of Bishops from the General Menaion for the time being?

Patriarch Svyatoslav, when he was in Rome for the glorifications, did mention in his interview that both pope-saints were closely linked to the UGCC.

There is certainly nothing barring individual parishes and eparchies from celebrating their feastdays.

I know of UGCC parishes with icons of the "Pillars of Orthodoxy" including St Mark of Ephesus.

I'm almost certain they didn't ask their Eparch for permission for that . . . wink

When I meet His Beatitude the Patriarch on Sunday, I will put the question to him!

Alex

Well, there's a half-decent Akathist to St John Paul II online somewhere . . .

It has already been sung and I understand that Pope Benedict XVI has taken particular notice of it . . .

Alex

A
AMM Offline
A
They lived saintly lives and deserve to be counted among the blessed, so I don't see why they shouldn't be added.

I hope to get icons of the two Pope Saints.

S
S
There is a stunning icon of St John Paul in the chapel of the theology department of the Ukrainian Catholic University in Lviv. If I can find my picture of it, I'll post it. He is on the East wall, along with 3 others whom I cannot remember.

Originally Posted by Slavophile
There is a stunning icon of St John Paul in the chapel of the theology department of the Ukrainian Catholic University in Lviv. If I can find my picture of it, I'll post it. He is on the East wall, along with 3 others whom I cannot remember.

Thank you Slavophile!

This evening, I had the privilege of briefly meeting with His Beatitude Patriarch Svyatoslav.

He gave me his blessing and imparted it to all Members of the Byzantine Forum.

I asked him if there were any plans to place the two new Papal Saints into the liturgical calendar of the UGCC, and while he praised both Popes, he said there weren't any as yet . . .

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 05/05/14 02:41 PM.
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Slavophile
I hope you find the picture; I look forward to see it.

In Ukraine, there are two icons of Saint John Paul II which feature him with the Greek Catholic New Martyrs:

1) http://img.narodna.pravda.com.ua/images/doc/9/e/9ebc8-img00212.jpg

2) http://ntktv.ua/upload/resize_cache/iblock/2b6/400_322_2/MisijaCerkva211112.jpg

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
I asked him if there were any plans to place the two new Papal Saints into the liturgical calendar of the UGCC, and while he praised both Popes, he said there weren't any as yet . . .

I believe it is inevitable that at least Saint John Paul II will be added to the UGCC liturgical calendar considering what he did for the emergence of the UGCC after decades of Soviet repression and his visit to Ukraine to beatify the Greek Catholic martyrs.

Here is a moving video of Saint John Paul II visiting the church of Saint Sophia in Rome following the death of His Beatitude Josyf Slipyj:

[Linked Image]

Saint John Paul II, pray for peace in Ukraine.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.