The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
DMD Offline
D
Originally Posted by Athanasius The L
Originally Posted by Mark R
To return to the topic...I think it may be a sin to convert if it requires re-baptism. I was always afraid that would be a sin against the Holy Spirit.
Although Catholics did this too, and I have seen Catholics do this still on occasion.
Neither Catholics nor Orthodox "re-baptize", at least not from their perspective. The Orthodox and Catholics alike hold that baptism cannot be repeated. Catholics "re-baptize" when the prior "baptism" was invalid. In the case of doubts, the Catholic Church administers conditional baptism. For the Orthodox, the concept of validity is rather foreign to their mindset. However, if the prior "baptism" was deemed not to have been a true baptism, then baptism will be administered. In either case it is not a matter of re-baptism.

AS is often the case in Orthodox RCC relations,neither side can really admit that they are saying nearly the same darned thing but using different 'hocus pocus' terminology to hide the fact, lest the hot air of ten centuries of vitriol and empty polemic be exposed.

In the end it is the papacy and what it should be which divides us. Primacy, supremacy, universal jurisdiction...They are the basis of our divide and I do not see them going away.

Much of the rest we can nuance to death and make it 'go away.'

Last edited by DMD; 05/15/14 01:21 PM.
Originally Posted by Peter J
Originally Posted by Michael_Thoma
You almost need a split personality to be Eastern rite Catholic.
The same can be said for Orthodoxy
Tough to respond to this without clarification of what you mean. Are you saying this because of the Western-Rite Orthodox?
Not at all. The WRO didn't even come to mind. Just look at the basic, ongoing, unanswered debates within Eastern Orthodoxy for example - leaving Oriental Orthodoxy aside for a moment - the rights and privileges of the EP - what are they, who says so, and is it a matter of Tradition or simple convenience? Is the ROC within it's right to grant Autocephaly? Is the AOA-NA headed by a single head Metropolitan who is the only vote in the AOC Holy Synod and does he or the Patriarch have the authority to dethrone installed hierarchs? To chrismate, profess in, or baptise or not to baptise OO, RC, EC, ACoE, protestant converts; what about those from other EO jurisdictions - conditional just to be on the safe side; Triple immersion required or suggested? In regard to primacy - collegiality with weak head, or strong head rubber stamp college? Are non-EO graceless schismatic heretics, or sister churches separated? Is it more important to be ethnically correct, or actually practicing the faith in regard to Marriages, Baptism, Eucharist? etc

DMD #405767 05/15/14 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by DMD
Tough to respond to this without clarification of what you mean. Are you saying this because of the Western-Rite Orthodox?
WRO as someone posted on oc.net earlier today has maybe 2000 adherents worldwide and is at best a 'boutique' expression of faith.
Good point. In any case, that probably wasn't what Michael_Thoma was referring to anyhow, but IDK.

Not at all. The WRO didn't even come to mind. Just look at the basic, ongoing, unanswered debates within Eastern Orthodoxy for example - leaving Oriental Orthodoxy aside for a moment - the rights and privileges of the EP - what are they, who says so, and is it a matter of Tradition or simple convenience? Is the ROC within it's right to grant Autocephaly? Is the AOA-NA headed by a single head Metropolitan who is the only vote in the AOC Holy Synod and does he or the Patriarch have the authority to dethrone installed hierarchs? To chrismate, profess in, or baptise or not to baptise OO, RC, EC, ACoE, protestant converts; what about those from other EO jurisdictions - conditional just to be on the safe side; Triple immersion required or suggested? In regard to primacy - collegiality with weak head, or strong head rubber stamp college? Are non-EO graceless schismatic heretics, or sister churches separated? Is it more important to be ethnically correct, or actually practicing the faith in regard to Marriages, Baptism, Eucharist? etc
OIC.

M
M
Ditto on WRO.
Athanasius, I am sorry but some of the Orthidox do re-baptise. It is common among the Greeks, it done for quite a span by ROCOR. I know people do not like to count ROCOR during their anti-ecumenical phase, but they were in communion with Serbia and Jerusalem at least then. If Fr. Seraphim Rose had delayed converting by several years, he would have been re-baptised. Objectively, if one year RC baptism is recognised, the next year it is not and a convert from Catholicism is baptised Orthodox, it is re-baptism.
To be honest, when I was much younger it was what held me back from Orthodoxy (I much preferred the ROCOR parish in town, and I still do).

Mark R #405771 05/15/14 03:01 PM
AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
Ditto on WRO.
Athanasius, I am sorry but some of the Orthidox do re-baptise. It is common among the Greeks, it done for quite a span by ROCOR. I know people do not like to count ROCOR during their anti-ecumenical phase, but they were in communion with Serbia and Jerusalem at least then. If Fr. Seraphim Rose had delayed converting by several years, he would have been re-baptised. Objectively, if one year RC baptism is recognised, the next year it is not and a convert from Catholicism is baptised Orthodox, it is re-baptism.
To be honest, when I was much younger it was what held me back from Orthodoxy (I much preferred the ROCOR parish in town, and I still do).
My point is that from their perspective, it is not rebaptism, just as we Catholics do not believe we rebaptize converts who were "baptized" invalidly.

D
DMD Offline
D
HEre is the link to the Greek ORthodox Metropolis of Denver's pastoral guidelines governing the reception of Converts. I specifically direct your attention to "IX. Receiving Those Previously Baptized through Chrismation" Trinitarian baptism in the form of the Father , Son and Holy Spirit is acceptable. Other formulas are not. Chrismation of all converts has been required by the Archdiocese since 1987. I believe that these are uniform regulations of the entire Greek Archdiocese (EP) within the USA.

http://www.denver.goarch.org/offices/registry/forms/baptism.pdf

DMD #405779 05/16/14 06:43 AM
Reading through the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver's pastoral guidelines governing the reception of Converts (link posted by DMD) I came across something to me was strange.

VIII. "the following persons can not be Sponsors: .....(f) An Orthodox Deacon, Priest, or Metropolitan."

Why would a deacon, priest, or metropolitian not be allowed to be a sponser? These men surely have been educated by/in the faith.

Originally Posted by Searcher
Reading through the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver's pastoral guidelines governing the reception of Converts (link posted by DMD) I came across something to me was strange.

VIII. "the following persons can not be Sponsors: .....(f) An Orthodox Deacon, Priest, or Metropolitan."

Why would a deacon, priest, or metropolitian not be allowed to be a sponser? These men surely have been educated by/in the faith.
An EC priest once told me he cannot be a sponsor/Godfather because he would be 'spiritual Father' to the baptized and would concelebrate(?) the baptism if invited.

Roman Catholic priests and religious were until 1983 explicitly forbidden from being godparents under the 1917 Code of Canon Law (Can. 766). They could, however, get special permission to serve. While there's not a blanket prohibition now, the ideas as to why it was discouraged still apply.

D
DMD Offline
D
If Orthodoxy is one thing, it is like the what Will Rogers once observed when asked if he belonged to an organized political party. He replied, no - he was a democrat. One could make a similar response about Orthodoxy.

Plenty of ACROD clergy and deacons are Godfather. My uncle was my Godfather, my father's best friend at seminary was my brother's godfather and so on through the present day - including a baptism or two this year across our diocese.

And we are under the omophorion of the EP - but independent of the Greek Archdiocese. Not unlike the status of the Eparchy of Muchachevo in relation to the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. Muchachevo is in union with Rome, but not in the UGCC synod.

An EC priest once told me he cannot be a sponsor/Godfather because he would be 'spiritual Father' to the baptized and would concelebrate(?) the baptism if invited.

Interesting. My son's Godfather is a married Ukrainian Greek Catholic Priest, whose wife is his Godmother. If my memory serves me right, my parish priest offered for him to concelebrate the liturgy (and serve as sponsor) but he simply wanted to be there as the sponsor.

Btw: pictures of that event can be viewed here [thesdchases.blogspot.com] grin (sorry to plug my family blog)

Last edited by Nelson Chase; 05/16/14 01:03 PM.
DMD #405817 05/18/14 10:39 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by DMD
Somehow we all have to figure out a way to escape history and recognize that destiny is not bound by past errors along the way.

Mm!!! Somebody needs to write that into the Book of Proverbs. smile

Amen and amen.

DMD #405818 05/18/14 10:43 PM
T
T
More material for expanding Proverbs...

Originally Posted by DMD
AS is often the case in Orthodox RCC relations,neither side can really admit that they are saying nearly the same darned thing but using different 'hocus pocus' terminology to hide the fact, lest the hot air of ten centuries of vitriol and empty polemic be exposed.

S
S
The only way to escape from history is to know history, and to confront it objectively and with an open mind--or so Archimandrite Robert Taft has always insisted.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.