The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Originally Posted by Peter J
Originally Posted by BenjaminRH
What is the Catholic Church's "raison d'etre" in the 21st Century?
Isn't our raison d'etre to convince EOs, OOs, Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists, etc. to become Catholic?

Ohhhhhh ... Sorry, never mind. blush

How about if we took the approach that we are all diminished by our divisions and that there just might be something we can all learn from one another.

The Roman Catholic Church has all kinds of internal problems that Catholics don't seem to want to seriously deal with because that effort might undermine the view that "we are the true church."

Today, if I had the choice to be either a Latin Catholic or an Eastern Orthodox/Oriental Orthodox, I would definitely become EO/OO.

For one thing, the East, not in union with Rome (if I were EO, I'd say that Rome was out of communion with the true Church re: heresy) has a tremendous sense of mystery and knows how to honour/adore the Great and Terrible God, the Lord of Hosts.

The Latin Church is sadly lacking in that in many places.

And the recent popes were/are aware of that.

Alex

You know, I've been keeping your insights in word documents. You and some others speak with a candor needing to be said. I think this is something my friend and I will discuss, over drinks - God willing!

Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
How about if we took the approach that we are all diminished by our divisions and that there just might be something we can all learn from one another.
That would be nice, but sadly there seem to be many, on another website I participate on, who don't think Catholics have anything to learn from other Christians (or, in their language, from "non-Catholic religions").

Today, if I had the choice to be either a Latin Catholic or an Eastern Orthodox/Oriental Orthodox, I would definitely become EO/OO.
My first thought here is, I wonder what the Orthodox think about that ... but then I think, maybe I actually don't want to know.

Originally Posted by JDC
I don't know. I kind of though that I had obligations because of who I am, and pointing out that I was weak or ill-suited was no excuse for failing in them. Even if I do pray a lot, I don't think I can be holy unless I fulfill the obligations of my position. Evidently that's just not how it works for popes.

Christ is in our midst!!

Failure is not a problem; fallingshort is not a problem; giving up is a problem. It gives us a reminder that we need the help of the Lord. Otherwise we might fall into the trap of thinking that our achievements are our own; they are not--they are the result of our being cooperative vessels through which the Holy Spirit can work in specific situations.

Holiness is not perfection. It is a balance wherein we are "whole" because we accept who we are, are comfortable in our own skin, realize that we need to continue the struggle toward perfecting ourselves in the virtues and the demands of the Lord on us, and always seeking the grace and guidance of the Holy Spirit in each and every moment. It is a challenge to be always ready to be out of our comfort zone because growth does that.

Bob

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.