The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#408331 09/17/14 10:03 AM
D
DMD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Child abuse, and the excusing and minimizing of it by large segments of the American population is a critical contemporary moral issue and one which haunts the underbelly of American society - and across all demographic, racial and economic classes and lines....I spent many years working with Childrens Services and the Family Court here in New York. The American football player Peterson's 'defense' here is repeated daily in hundreds of CPS offices and courtrooms across America. Kudo's to ESPN's (and football Hall of Fame player) Chris Carter for speaking truth to power here. Peterson should not have unsupervised contact with his children without undergoing a court ordered psychological evaluation and SUCCESSFULLY following through with any and all court ordered remedies. After that he should have limited and supervised visitation, if deemed in the best interests of each particular child, for an extended period of time. His lack of remorse and his defending of using a switch and causing welts and bruises on this poor child is unexcuseable - and I have to say it - repulsive especially coming from the mouth of a prominent African - American athlete whose ancestors no doubt suffered greatly at the receiving end similar 'whoopings' with a switch or worse at the hands of a plantation overseer. Pathetic.

This piece in The New Yorker is worth the time to read and consider.
http://www.newyorker.com/news/amy-davidson/adrian-petersons-intent

DMD #408348 09/17/14 05:55 PM
E
E
This is a no-brainer. When you leave the kind of marks that were left on Peterson's son, you have gone over the line -- way over the line. How come he doesn't understand this? How blind does a man have to be to not see that he has a problem and needs to correct what he is doing?

I spanked all my kids. My first one got the worst of it. I would give him five swats with a belt, pants on. If he had really pissed me off, the pants we off and the underwear remained on. As time went by, my wife managed to convince me that three swats were more than enough to drive a point home.

In addition, before the spanking, I would recite the child's misdeed back to him/her, have him/her acknowledge it, and then tell them why it was wrong. After the spanking, I would have the child apologize to Mom (it was 99% of the time Mom who caught crap from one of the kids) and then pray and ask God for forgiveness of the offense. Then there were hugs and promises not to do it again.

I don't see Adrian Peterson doing any of this. What I see, in the marks on his son, is a man in a rage and completely out of control.

He needs serious professional help.

DMD #408351 09/17/14 07:31 PM
Some of these people are against any form of corporal punishment. In this case, the father went over the line. I can assure you that in my generation many kids were spanked with switch (stick) from outside.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.