The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
But, not even one this announcement or the previous one from the Eastern Catholic Church or from Eastern Europe? Didn't Pope John Paul say that the Catholic Church breathes with two lungs - one Western and one Eastern?

Last edited by Pavloosh; 01/05/15 10:01 AM.
L
L
In fact, Archbishop Berhaneyesus Demerew Souraphiel of Addis Abeba is the head of an Eastern Catholic Church.

G
G
Pavloosh,

I guess you didn't see the topic I had posted yesterday: A New Ge'ez Catholic Cardinal. smile

GC

A
A
Originally Posted by griego catolico
Pavloosh,

I guess you didn't see the topic I had posted yesterday: A New Ge'ez Catholic Cardinal. smile

GC

The newly elevated Ge'ez archbishop is the 8th Eastern Catholic in the College of Cardinals, more than enough representation of the East I think. (The Patriarch Emeritus of the Syrians and the Patriarch Emeritus of the Chaldeans, both recently deceased, were also Cardinals.)

Eastern Europe is represented by Cardinal Husar of the Ukrainians and Cardinal Muresan of the Romanians. Of course, there are also Latin Rite cardinals representing Eastern Europe.

Last edited by Amadeus; 01/05/15 06:14 PM.
G
G
Originally Posted by Amadeus
The newly elevated Ge'ez archbishop is the 8th Eastern Catholic in the College of Cardinals, more than enough representation of the East I think...

Well, it's one more consistory without Patriarch Sviatoslav being named. I think it's inevitable that he will be named in a future consistory.

After all... I'm betting he will be Pope! grin

A
A
Yes, Pavloosh, I am so disapointed that Pope Francis did not name Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shepchuk of Ukraine as Cardinal.
He certainly qualifies and the time is ripe for him.

A
A
I agree Griego catholico! His time is ripe for Cardinal and maybe more!

Isn't it entirely possible he already let his friend the Pope know he'd prefer not to be named?

O
O
Please don't forget that HB Lubomyr has not reposed.

OP Offline
What is your point?

Usually a cardinal is not named if there is a predecessor in the same see still living, even if the predecessor is retired. There was one exception that comes to mind that was noted as being very unusual--that of CArdinal Bevilaqua being named in Philadelphia when Cardinal Krol was still living.

Bob

L
L
Griego Catolico,

apparently you didn't notice that I posted a link to your post in this thread.

Theophan,

His Beatitude Lyubomyr (Cardinal Huzar) is over 80 and therefore unable to vote in a conclave to elect a new pope. The general rule seems to be that an archbishop is not named cardinal if his cardinal predecessor is not just still living, but living and able to vote in a conclave. On that score, His Beatitude Svyatoslav (Shevchuk) would qualify for "elevation" to the cardinalate

His Beatitude, however, is still only 44 and arguably too young to become a cardinal (Pope St. John Paul II was 47 when he was made a cardinal). Also, there are those who think that the heads of Eastern Catholic Churches don't need to be "promoted" cardinals. Apparently, Patriarch Maximos IV only reluctantly accepted "elevation" to the cardinalate, and Patriarchs Maximos V and Gregory III have not been made cardinals.

It remains to be seen if His Beatitude Svyatoslav will be made a cardinal or not. If he is, it may be seen as a sign of respect for Eastern Catholicism. If he is not, paradoxically, it may be seen as a sign of respect for Eastern Catholicism too.

G
G
Originally Posted by Latin Catholic
apparently you didn't notice that I posted a link to your post in this thread.
I most certainly did notice. smile

A
A
It is entirely possible that Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk (has he been named "Patriarch"?) has been named Cardinal "in pectoris" in deference to Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill of Moscow. Naming Sviatoslav cardinal would entirely upset Patriarch Kirill and set back Orthodox-Catholic unity dialogue back 1000 years.

A
A
Who cares if it would upset Kirill? I certainly don't. It seems to me that him and his "church" are the only Orthodox jurisdiction that have problems with Greek Catholics.It's high time he learns that he doesn't control all of Eastern Christianity. Patriarch Sviatoslav is a great man and should be able to be called a Patriarch without worrying if it's going to defend a man who won't give the Orthodox Church of Ukraine independence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.