The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
John
OP Offline
John
A friend sent me this link to a collection of very nice photos entitled "Orthodox Christmas":

http://www.nationalreview.com/slideshows/396048?slide=1

[Yes, I know that it should be "Julian Calendar Christmas" but that is their title.]

Just a question - which Eastern Churches follow the Julian Calendar today?

My list includes: Russian Orthodox, Ukrainian Orthodox, Ukrainian Catholics (largely in Ukraine and eastern Canada), Georgian Orthodox, Jerusalem Patriarchate, Old Calendarist jurisdictions in Greece and elsewhere, Oriental Orthodox of the Alexandrian tradition and . . . who else?

Alex

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
Carpatho-Rusyns (60% of ACROD)

Christ is Born!!

F
F
To Alex: Belarusians and Old Believers, of course. I could be wrong, but I think the Slovak Greek Catholics in Canada are new style. I'm not sure either about the Rusnaks in Canada, i.e., those from the Serbian province of Voivodina, who are Greek Catholics, but use Church Slavonic and speak a language which is really an archaic form of East Slovak, written in the Cyrillic.
To Job: who are the other 40% of ACROD? I know there are some Hungarians and Slovaks, but I would suspect their number might not be that high.

Interesting post, here's an article regarding Nativity Liturgy in Jerusalem:

http://www.jpost.com/Christian-News/Christmas-is-here-yet-again-386813

D
DMD Offline
D
Originally Posted by Fr. Al
To Alex: Belarusians and Old Believers, of course. I could be wrong, but I think the Slovak Greek Catholics in Canada are new style. I'm not sure either about the Rusnaks in Canada, i.e., those from the Serbian province of Voivodina, who are Greek Catholics, but use Church Slavonic and speak a language which is really an archaic form of East Slovak, written in the Cyrillic.
To Job: who are the other 40% of ACROD? I know there are some Hungarians and Slovaks, but I would suspect their number might not be that high.

Since the OCA changed "en masse" thirty some years ago, ACROD parishes may choose either calendar, based on the super majority vote of the parish and our bishop's blessing. It is about 60/40 in terms of parishes but more like 75/25 in terms of membership. We are apparently voting again at home this year. All new parishes and missions are RJC/New.

In actual fact, the Armenians of Jerusalem who celebrate Christmas on the Old Calendar, do so on January 18th - not January 19th.

Christmas in the 19th century was celebrated on January 6th on the Old Calendar and then it fell behind by one day in the 20th century to become January 7th and with the feast of the Theophany moving from the 18th of January to January 19th.

But the Armenians in Jerusalem never made that adjustment and have been celebrating Old Calendar Christmas/Theophany on January 18th to this day. (The two feasts were originally celebrated on one and the same day of the Theophany, the Armenians are the only Church/nation that maintain the original date.)

Alex

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.