The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Halogirl5, MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick
6,000 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 233 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,400
Posts416,779
Members6,000
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#413389 10/09/15 06:51 PM
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline

So how has the intensification of hostilities by Mr. Putin a relief for these Christians and other people who have been in the middle of this war for so many years?

Alex

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
It is sad when long time forum friendships are destroyed by political differences of opinion. frown

S
S
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
So how has the intensification of hostilities by Mr. Putin a relief for these Christians and other people who have been in the middle of this war for so many years?

Alex

The airstrikes have evidently taken some pressure off of the Syrian government and allowed for some territory to be taken back. So evidently they have brought some relief. How lasting, time will tell.

I apologise, Alice, if I have done that. I'm simply raising a question.

This is how my friends and I discuss things over coffee! It really is the European way.

Swan has answered my question, which was not intended to be rhetorical.

Time will tell and I certainly agree with that assessment.

I let off some steam on the other thread only because I was giving a knee-jerk reaction to your comment that I'm just indiscriminately anti-Russian.

Yes, I did report that and yes, the Administrator responded by saying he sympathizes with you on that score because, from his POV, Ukrainians (along with about a couple of dozen other former imperial subjects of the Russian empire) do have a knee-jerk reaction to what Russia does.

The fact that there is no longer a "USSR" does not mean that it has gone away. We see that it hasn't and the leader of the Russian Federation is on record as bemoaning the dismemberment of the USSR. Also, that he considers the body of Lenin to be venerable and, may God forgive me for repeating this, is on an even level with the holy relics of the Venerable Saints of the Kyiv Caves Lavra . . .

Perhaps people like me are very skeptical about the end of the USSR - we believe it has just undergone a metamorphosis with the ROC continuing to do now what it always did (beginning with Patriarch Sergius) under the communists.

Also, the imperial situation there involving Russia didn't begin with the USSR - it began much earlier. This was the source of my disagreement with the Administrator. Just as he considered my being Ukrainian an issue with being objective about Russia/USSR, so too I consider him being an American an issue with being objective about Russian history.

That I over-reacted was part and parcel of the whole situation. We all have our biases - as a sociologist, I know that it is impossible for us not to have them. The Administrator is biased, you are and I am.

We try not to step on one another's toes, but that enterprise inevitably fails now and then.

Do I have strong feelings about certain issues? Yes, I do as I know you do as well. As Swan has said, time will tell who is right and who is wrong in Syria right now and I'm content to leave it at that while giving my view of the matter.

I apologise for being overly emotional and I have been like that over the course of a few years here because I do care about certain things which are even personal for me.

But I would chuck it all in right now if my caustic style here upsets you. I apologise for doing that and it is best that I just shut up on certain matters!

Alex

Originally Posted by SwanOfEndlessTales
The airstrikes have evidently taken some pressure off of the Syrian government and allowed for some territory to be taken back. So evidently they have brought some relief. How lasting, time will tell.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/new...es-the-christians-cause-says-archbishop/

But this shouldn't be used to conclude that Putin is doing anything more than serving his own interests. Again, time will tell.

Alex

S
S
Of course Putin's policy is self-serving. I don't think anyone here seriously denies that. Similarly, I think it's safe to bet that Assad's protection of Christians and religious minorities is dictated by political necessity rather than some ideal of tolerance.

I think it's clear though that Russia will be there for the long haul, owing to its serious strategic interests in Syria.

Swan, you are the Wan!!

(How did you become so knowledgeable on foreign policy and affairs?)

I bow to you sir!

Alex

Originally Posted by SwanOfEndlessTales
I think it's clear though that Russia will be there for the long haul

I hope so. May God protect the Christians through the actions of Russia.

May Putin also stop killing Orthodox Christians in Ukraine and work toward ending that conflict as well . . .

May Putin also stop killing Orthodox Christians in Ukraine and work toward ending that conflict as well . . .

Give it a rest Alex. Sheesh! Alice is correct....you just can't help yourself. For every anti-Putin propaganda story relating to Ukraine....you can find an anti-Ukrainian story.

Let us pray that all the killing stops!!!

I just thank God that Russia is giving some relief to the genocide of Christians in Syria and Iraq. If you can't appreciate that without spouting your usual venom toward Putin.....then maybe you should keep your fingers off the keyboard for a while.

Last edited by Recluse; 10/13/15 08:02 PM.
Originally Posted by Recluse

Give it a rest Alex. Sheesh! Alice is correct....you just can't help yourself. For every anti-Putin propaganda story relating to Ukraine....you can find an anti-Ukrainian story.

Let us pray that all the killing stops!!!

I just thank God that Russia is giving some relief to the genocide of Christians in Syria and Iraq. If you can't appreciate that without spouting your usual venom toward Putin.....then maybe you should keep your fingers off the keyboard for a while.
And if you can't appreciate that a forum with a bunch of Ukrainian and Rusyn Catholics isn't going to appreciate pro-Putin pandering maybe you should do the same.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
B
B
Maybe the bigger problem is our own perceived weakness. Granted, we are not weak. Our current policies and avoidance of any significant engagements in the Middle East give Putin the belief that we are weak. No surprise then that he exploits it for his own gain.

S
S
Originally Posted by byzanTN
Maybe the bigger problem is our own perceived weakness. Granted, we are not weak. Our current policies and avoidance of any significant engagements in the Middle East give Putin the belief that we are weak. No surprise then that he exploits it for his own gain.

No. We are not perceived as weak. We are perceived as meddlers who make everything worse, which, surprise, we are and have been for quite a while. It is precisely by throwing our weight around, in places where we shouldn't, that created the present situation in Iraq and Syria. And, again, only a serious case of historical amnesia could pin this simply on the current administration. It's one thing to be ignorant of things that happened before you were born, it's another to forget stuff you lived through in the past 15 years. The solution is not deeper American intervention. The decline of the American superpower will be better for everyone in the long run.

Last edited by SwanOfEndlessTales; 10/14/15 08:22 AM.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.