The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by theophan
Originally Posted by rakovsky
I think that the article cited refers to Fr. Eusebius' ideas about the mainstream church.

Finally, did it actually happen that holy Christians went to people who didn't know the same language that they did at all and that they both understood each statement that the holy people made?

Christ is in our midst!!

I have been told that Fr. Eusebius was a Greek Orthodox priest whose work has been condemned by the GOA for his support of the charismatic movement. This movement's claims fly in the face of Orthodox teaching.

As for your second question, the answer is "yes."

Bob
Bob,

Thank you for your replies. I think the GOA generally looked down on Fr. Eusebius, but it did not ban him over his efforts. He was in some open conflict with much of the rest of the Church.

Would you happen to remember the saint(s) who performed the miracle wherein they went to people who didn't know the same language that they did at all and that they both understood each statement that they made?

Bob,

You are right that this is an old thread (6 years). Do you or others prefer that we try to avoid posting on old threads?

You wrote:
rakovsky:
Basically the Orthodox position seems to be that there was no "babbling" done. Rather, one person spoke in his own tongue and the hearer heard the message in his, though the two were different and neither person had the facility of both languages.

The Holy Spirit intervened in the communication model between the two persons. That way, in Acts one person spoke the Good News and a large group of many nationalities "heard" and understood the communication at the same time in many languages.
Sure, in Acts when the apostles spoke in tongues in Pentecost, the Christian view of this is that they spoke in real languages that the audience could understand.

However, when it comes to 1 Corinthians 13-14, the major 19th century Orthodox theologian Lopukhin proposed that the Corinthians were speaking languages that were not real foreign languages, since Paul wrote that "no man understandeth" the "tongues".

I will try to link St. Seraphim Rose's piece on the Charismatic Movement for you.

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/charismatic_revival_s_rose_e.htm
I found Fr. Seraphim's book on the Charismatics helpful. I used it to write an essay on the Orthodox view of the main similarities between the Early Church and the modern Charismatic movement, which I posted about here:

Orthodox view of the Early Church's similarity to Charismaticism
http://www.monachos.net/conversatio...e-early-church-and-charismatic-movement/

Last edited by rakovsky; 12/02/15 10:23 AM.
I think the GOA generally looked down on Fr. Eusebius, but it did not ban him over his efforts.

I had a book written by Father Eusebius entitled "Belief and Practice in the Orthodox Church" for many years. After a relatively recent conversation with a Greek Orthodox priest about Father Eusebius' status, I took his advice and destroyed it. Fr caused so much scandal that even works that were considered useful were to be disposed of because of his name attached to them.

Bob

Do you or others prefer that we try to avoid posting on old threads?

Not at all.

Sure, in Acts when the apostles spoke in tongues in Pentecost, the Christian view of this is that they spoke in real languages that the audience could understand.

However, when it comes to 1 Corinthians 13-14, the major 19th century Orthodox theologian Lopukhin proposed that the Corinthians were speaking languages that were not real foreign languages, since Paul wrote that "no man understandeth" the "tongues".

Your point? Just because one theologian makes a proposal that doesn't make it the position of the Orthodox Church. I don't think the Orthodox--at least in my experience--give the opinion of one theologian the weight against Tradition that is given inthe West.

Bob

Last edited by theophan; 11/15/15 06:50 PM. Reason: additional comment
I think the GOA generally looked down on Fr. Eusebius, but it did not ban him over his efforts.

I had a book written by Father Eusebius entitled "Belief and Practice in the Orthodox Church" for many years. After a relatively recent conversation with a Greek Orthodox priest about Father Eusebius' status, I took his advice and destroyed it. Fr caused so much scandal that even works that were considered useful were to be disposed of because of his name attached to them.

Bob

I understand. He got the Pentecostal "laying on of hands", upon which he spoke in tongues. This was already after he was baptised, so that is not supposed to happen in Orthodoxy. Then he shared the Pentecostals' semi-hostile or extra critical view of Orthodoxy in that he perceived it in need of the Pentecostals' spirit renewal, as if the Church was rather lacking in the spirit, unlike allegedly the Pentecostals. Besides that he shared some of the Pentecostals' eschatology, Christan Zionism, etc. It's kind of like the "convergence movement" that "converges" traditional practices and Charismaticism, since he never actually left the Orthodox Church.

His book could have been OK for all I know, but he just undermined it so much with his decisions that you couldn't rely on it to tell you what Orthodoxy teaches. We have so many good writers that you don't have to rely on it.

If there weren't many good writers on Orthodoxy and his ideas weren't a major violation of our thought, maybe what he wrote would be OK. In contrast, there are things Fr. Seraphim Rose writes that I don't agree with, but Fr. Rose still has some value as an Orthodox thinker.

Last edited by rakovsky; 11/16/15 11:29 PM.

Your point? Just because one theologian makes a proposal that doesn't make it the position of the Orthodox Church. I don't think the Orthodox--at least in my experience--give the opinion of one theologian the weight against Tradition that is given in the West.

Sure, however it isn't clear that Lopukhin, perhaps the main Russian Orthodox Bible commentator of the last 150 years, is actually against Tradition on this verse. After checking the commentaries, I am only aware of St. John Chrysostom as having considered this to be comprehensible languages spoken at Corinth. I'm not sure that St. John Chrysostom was explicit that this was the same thing, but at least it was apparent to me from his commentary that this is what he thought was happening.

Lopukhin's comment makes sense to me. In 1 Cor. 12-14, Paul never says that the Corinthians were speaking real human languages. Instead, Paul mentions the "tongues of humans and of angels" and then repeatedly says that no man can understand the Corinthians' glossolalia. Paul writes in chapter 14:

"For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries".

Real human tongues, including those implanted by the spirit miraculously, would be spoken unto humans for their understanding, while an angelic tongue is unknown and does not make sense, but would rather be spoken to God.

At least based on this reasoning, the Corinthians' tongues would be not real languages. I have always thought Corinthians was about speaking incomprehensible glossolalia. However, based St. John Chrysostom, I allow that Paul could be intending to talk about Corinthians miraculously speaking real languages. I am just inclined to think they were babbling nonsense, Theophan. I am not sure what to do about that dilemma.

rakovsky:

Christ is in our midst!!

Theophan

Why are you angry? Why are you trying to make a case for the Charismatic Movement?

I've always taken the cautious approach in things related to the spiritual life and refer these things to my spiritual father and confessor on a regular basis. I've also had experience of someone who had been to one of these types of events who had a nervous breakdown over it--claiming she thought she was possessed by something or some being that made her feel extremely "dirty" in the whole of her being during and after. Personally, I believe that if what comes out a person's mouth cannot be recognized as a human language it may be diabolical. And since we cannot know if an angelic language is from the good angels or the fallen, it seems to me we ought to be very careful--not trying to delve into things too high for us since the fallen as well as the servants of God are far more intelligent than we.

Bob

rakovsky:

Christ is in our midst!!

Theophan

Why are you angry?

Hello Bob!

Sorry, I can't see the end of the message you quoted above, so I don't know what made you think I was angry. Do you remember what it said? I just occasionally put people's names in bold when I write to them.

You ask:
Why are you trying to make a case for the Charismatic Movement?
Did you get a chance to at least read the Conclusion of my essay? The Charismatic movement claims it shares the early Church's elements. There are ways in which it does seem to, but only partly extent. For example, many in the Early Church expected Christ's imminent return, but unlike many Charismatics, the early church didn't set a date by which they expected it, as far as any of our records show.

I agree with what you say:
I've always taken the cautious approach in things related to the spiritual life and refer these things to my spiritual father and confessor on a regular basis. I've also had experience of someone who had been to one of these types of events who had a nervous breakdown over it--claiming she thought she was possessed by something or some being that made her feel extremely "dirty" in the whole of her being during and after. Personally, I believe that if what comes out a person's mouth cannot be recognized as a human language it may be diabolical. And since we cannot know if an angelic language is from the good angels or the fallen, it seems to me we ought to be very careful--not trying to delve into things too high for us since the fallen as well as the servants of God are far more intelligent than we.
When I see the "speaking in tongues", it gives me a gut reaction as if the person is mentally ill. Once when I was a child a relative, for fun, started babbling and blinking hr eyes for maybe half a minute and it scared me, mostly for her sake. It was just an instinct.

Here is a video of a random lady babbling. She may be on drugs:

Here is a Catholic Charismatic conference where people are singing in high pitched voices "yady yada yada yada". They are less coherently than the lady above, although I grant that their singing sounds somewhat pleasant, like light background choir humming:

Here they are doing it to the Pope:

If it was just them singing notes to make a nice sound it would be fine, but they think these sounds have hidden detailed meanings, and I don't think so when it comes to "Yady yada yada."

Very bizarre to say the least.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.