The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#413932 12/07/15 06:40 AM
AntonI Offline OP
OP Offline
Emerging from the catacombs of darkness into the light...

Anyhow, I recently returned from my first ever holiday in Italy (I started learning Italian two years ago) and I had an awesome time.

I was mostly based in Rome but I took a few day trips away to Tivili (ended up crashing an Italian period drama charting the de Medici dynasty starring Dustin Hoffman and I was not invited to become an extra. I am still sad) and Orvieto. All I can say is that I walked over 30 miles or 50km during my holiday. Probably partly counterbalancing all the food and wine .

On the first day, I decided that I would do the Vatican so I did all the usual things (went around the Museums twice because there was so much to see!). The Sistine Chapel was beautiful but surprisingly small. After walking for around six hours, I foolishly decided to walk to the top of St Peters. THE PAIN. However, the view from the cuppola was amazing - I took a video on my phone and it was awesome - sunny clear blue skies. It was really nice to see the Tomb of St Peter and be present during a German Mass that was going on. However, whilst the cathedral was beautiful I didn't really get the "feel" for it. It felt too touristy.

SS Maria Maggiore on the other hand I loved and I was present (front row seats essentially) when they were breaking down the door seal for the Jubilee Year (lots of cardinals, bishiops, priests and two two Ukrainian Catholics (a bishop and a deacon I believe). I also ended up having a chat with Monsignor Guido Marini (the Master of Pontifical Liturgical Celebrations) who was really nice. I ended up complaining about the difficulty of the Italian grammar (?!) to which he replied "slowly, slowly, it will come to you". That trip was towards the end of my holiday and I did find a very nice church which was being adopted to serve the needs of the Eritrean or Ethiopian Orthodox Church (not sure which one).

I also visited the Pontifical Oriental Institute and saw / prayed at the beautiful chapel there along with Fr Samir Khalil Samir (former pro-rector) with whom I had a very pleasant long chat about Italy, history, the churches, etc. It turns out he used to teach Metropolitan John (one of the kidnapped Syrian bishops).

Last edited by AntonI; 12/07/15 06:41 AM.
Sounds wonderful! Imagine digesting all you tok in will take a while.
Such a blessing.

Don't know if we are from the same B'ham, if so, I'm at St George.

Dear Pani Rose,
If I am not mistaken, AntonI, who used to post here many years ago, lives in England--therefore, I think he is in Birmingham, England.

Dear Anton,
Thanks for sharing! The eternal city is magnificent in so many ways. I thank God that I have been blessed to visit it.

Alice

B
B
AntonI, you are making me envious. I am already in trouble with Santa so I don't need any more marks against me this year. ;-)

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.