The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Halogirl5, MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick
6,000 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 379 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,400
Posts416,779
Members6,000
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
OP Offline
T
Since 1967 the Catholic Church has had fifteen councils at the Vatican of bishops from throughout the world and has not called any of them "ecumenical" but rather "assemblies (ordinary [or] extraordinary)" of the Synod of Bishops - the latest being last year.

Last edited by Tomassus; 01/21/16 05:51 PM.
Tomassus!

I was beginning to think you weren't a real poster! grin

I'm sure Phil is a great journalist - but a journalist nevertheless wink

As for his father being a deacon, please see Charles' post above!

No one is questioning his journalistic abilities - only his ability to comprehend Eastern Orthodox ecclesiology within a comparative framework with that of the RC West.

And his use of terminology is interesting. So this, the upcoming Council, would be the first-ever Orthodox Council?

One could take that to mean that the RC Councils may have been ecumenical, but not really "Orthodox?" grin

Or, much more seriously by way of silly implication, does that great journalist with the Melkite Deacon father truly believe the Orthodox Eastern Churches weren't present or had no real contribution in the first great Seven Ecumenical Councils? Did they just become "Orthodox" after 1054?

In these matters, it is best to rely on the best research and writings of the Orthodox-RC ecumenical commissions which are composed of trained theologians as opposed to great journalists . . .

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 01/20/16 01:46 PM.
Originally Posted by byzanTN
There - are you satisfied, Reverend Father Deacon? (It is a very nice title - why are you inactive? If I were a deacon, I'd be wearing a lapel pin to that effect on my pyjamas!). smile

Alex

Alex, please don't become a deacon! My experience with them is that while most are good, the diaconate is often the last refuge of the most obnoxious converts. Stay free, argumentative, and unadorned with liturgical finery. We like you as you are. grin

OK Charles, all points well taken! smile And no liturgical finery for me - although I'm into scapulars .... grin

But those are under the shirt . . .

Alex

B
B
I even wear scapulars. Those Carmelites were eastern first, you know.

S
S
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Or, much more seriously by way of silly implication, does that great journalist with the Melkite Deacon father truly believe the Orthodox Eastern Churches weren't present or had no real contribution in the first great Seven Ecumenical Councils? Did they just become "Orthodox" after 1054?

Not to mention several pan-Orthodox councils we've held since then, such as the Fifth Council of Constantinople, Synods of Jassy and Jerusalem, etc.

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by SwanOfEndlessTales
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic

Not to mention several pan-Orthodox councils we've held since then, such as the Fifth Council of Constantinople, Synods of Jassy and Jerusalem, etc.
In light of these posts how is one to interpret this post [emphasis added throughout]?
The fact that there have been no Orthodox councils is not necessarily a bad thing. Councils in the west have created upheaval, dissension and outright schism, the last one being a good example of that. Maybe you should count your blessings.
Here's what I say. The "great journalist with the Melkite Deacon father," unlike the above posters, is at least cognizant of history and the difference between o-and-O-rthodox and their usage:

The earliest (first) recorded use of the term "orthodox" is in the Codex Iustinianus of 529-534,...

Following the 1054 Great Schism, both the Western and Eastern Churches continued to consider themselves uniquely orthodox and catholic. Over time the Western Church gradually identified with the "Catholic" label and people of Western Europe gradually associated the "Orthodox" label with the Eastern Church (in some languages the "Catholic" label is not necessarily identified with the Western Church). This was in note of the fact that both Catholic and Orthodox were in use as ecclesiastical adjectives as early as the 2nd and 4th centuries respectively.
Orthodoxy [en.wikipedia.org]

Note, however, that catholic is a "mark" of the Church, Four Marks of the Church [en.wikipedia.org], orthodox is not. The theological and dogmatic scope of catholic is Creedal: "one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church."

[I just love opportunities like this for giving quotes and references and dogma, and ... facts.]

B
B
Well, let's see, there are Bulgarian Orthodox, Syrian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, and a host of others. They all consider themselves Catholic, too. Calling one's church
Roman "Catholic" doesn't convey ownership of the term. What I also found interesting, is that some segments of Roman Catholicism don't get along any better than some Orthodox churches. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

ajk Offline
Well, let's see, there are Bulgarian Orthodox, Syrian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, and a host of others. They all consider themselves Catholic, too. Calling one's church Roman "Catholic" doesn't convey ownership of the term.
I believe that is what the quote is saying.

What I also found interesting, is that some segments of Roman Catholicism don't get along any better than some Orthodox churches.
A similarity between the two at last.

S
S
I'm not sure I see your point, AJK. The fact is that the Orthodox Church has held pan-Orthodox councils well after 1054. The Palamite synods are often referred to as an ecumenical council. So even distinguishing small-o and big-O orthodoxy, the statement that this is "the first ever Orthodox council" is demonstrably false. It's either ignorant or deliberately polemical.

Last edited by SwanOfEndlessTales; 01/21/16 09:31 AM.
ajk Offline
I'm not sure I see your point, AJK. The fact is that the Orthodox Church has held pan-Orthodox councils well after 1054. The Palamite synods are often referred to as an ecumenical council. So even distinguishing small-o and big-O orthodoxy, the statement that this is "the first ever Orthodox council" is demonstrably false. It's either ignorant or deliberately polemical.
I see your point. Were the "Palamite synods" an ecumenical council (the 9th ?).? Has the term "pan-Orthodox" been used in the (more distant) past, in common usage?

For my post/objection, read your post in conjunction with and commentary on and agreement with the post that you quoted. While the thread is entitled "Will the first-ever Orthodox council occur this year?", please note it is a question, not a statement; also, the person referred to as "that great journalist with the Melkite Deacon father" [an ad homminun and one of the several unbecoming remarks that have been made (in particular about the diaconate) in this thread] actually used different and more nuanced words (see initial post of the thread):
Seen against that background, the plans for a pan-Orthodox council—the first-ever universal council of leaders in the Orthodox world—is a very big story.

I'm more intrigued by this remark by Lawler:
In his book The Russian Church and the Papacy, the great Russian theologian Vladimir Soloviev cites the failure to convene an Orthodox council as one of the signs that the Church of Rome is the one true Church.

S
S
Originally Posted by ajk
I see your point. Were the "Palamite synods" an ecumenical council (the 9th ?).?

Yes. They were convened by the emperor, included bishops from all the ancient patriarchates, and were universally accepted in the Orthodox Church.

After the fall of the empire, another pan-Orthodox council (which called itself ecumenical) was convened in 1482 to repudiate the Florence council. Other such councils were held at Jassy (1642) and Jerusalem (1672), chiefly aimed at Calvinism.

Has the term "pan-Orthodox" been used in the (more distant) past, in common usage?

I don't know, but what really matters is that such councils happened and showed the ancient Orthodox patriarchates speaking in a united voice.

In his book The Russian Church and the Papacy, the great Russian theologian Vladimir Soloviev cites the failure to convene an Orthodox council as one of the signs that the Church of Rome is the one true Church.

Please.

Last edited by SwanOfEndlessTales; 01/21/16 10:28 AM.
ajk Offline
Originally Posted by ajk
I see your point. Were the "Palamite synods" an ecumenical council (the 9th ?).?

Yes. They were convened by the emperor, included bishops from all the ancient patriarchates, and were universally accepted in the Orthodox Church.

After the fall of the empire, another pan-Orthodox council (which called itself ecumenical) was convened in 1482 to repudiate the Florence council. Other such councils were held at Jassy (1642) and Jerusalem (1672), chiefly aimed at Calvinism.
So both Catholic and Orthodox have held ecumenical councils separate from each other, that is, not including actual participation. That is not the view ordinarily voiced or understood or presumed on this forum.

Has the term "pan-Orthodox" been used in the (more distant) past, in common usage?

I don't know, but what really matters is that such councils happened and showed the ancient Orthodox patriarchates speaking in a united voice.
OK but perhaps then Lawler (and many others) could be given a little latitude in thinking pan-Orthodox as a new approach. Also, why not just call it Ecumenical since there have already been others in the Orthodox communion as you have noted previously?

Please.
You or I can utter words of gold and the world will hardly notice or care. Soloviev is a voice with a history and a platform (and probably even a following). Like him or not, agree with him or disagree, but don't just dismiss the point, give us some gold to ponder instead.

... the statement that this is "the first ever Orthodox council" is demonstrably false.
Thank you for posting that. Ever since I first saw this thread I've been wondering how anyone thinks that this council (assuming that it will happen) will be the "first".

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Peter J
... the statement that this is "the first ever Orthodox council" is demonstrably false.
Thank you for posting that. Ever since I first saw this thread I've been wondering how anyone thinks that this council (assuming that it will happen) will be the "first".
Again, those words were within a question not a statement, and as the title of the thread. Like a headline it can be misleading, giving a wrong impression; like a headline it must be evaluated in conjunction with the initial post.

To avoid any confusion, what are the Orthodox calling this assembly, officially? Is it considered an Ecumenical Council? Will it be referred to as such, if it is, as Popes John XXII and Paul VI did for Vatican II?

S
S
They're calling it a "Great and Holy Council." Myself, I think "ecumenical" is an anachronism since there is no Roman empire anymore.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.