The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
Blessed feast day of St. Blaise today!

I'm curious.

Did any Byzantine Catholic parishes celebrate the feast today with the blessing of throats as is done in Roman Catholic parishes on February 3rd?

There is a "Byzantine version" of the blessing of throats as used by Ukrainian Catholics: downloadable Word doc of service. [theologyincolor.com]

Christ is in our midst!!

I've often wondered if our Armenian brethren observe this custom since St. Blaise was an Armenian bishop.

Bob

M
M
At least, I know, for the Orthodox St. Blaise is the patron of domestic animals and for protection against wild beasts.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Bob,

Among the Armenian Catholics, throats are blessed but with oil, using a cotton covered stick - somewhat akin to a large cotton swab, although I understand that it may be done in some places by a candle that has been dipped in blessed oil. The Armenian Orthodox do not have this practice to the best of my knowledge. Both Churches so, however, observe his feast, but the date is in January on their calendars.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
Among the Armenian Catholics, throats are blessed but with oil, using a cotton covered stick - somewhat akin to a large cotton swab, although I understand that it may be done in some places by a candle that has been dipped in blessed oil.

The Armenian Catholic Church of San Biagio della Pagnotta in Rome blesses throats on February 3rd with a cotton covered stick. Photo. [1.bp.blogspot.com]

The Armenian Catholic parish of Our Lady of the Annunciation church in Ashrafieh, Lebanon celebrated the feast by blessing throats with a candle dipped in oil. Photo. [armeniancatholic.org]

The Armenian Orthodox do not have this practice to the best of my knowledge. Both Churches so, however, observe his feast, but the date is in January on their calendars.

Actually, Armenian Catholics celebrate the feast of St. Blaise on February 3rd, the same date as Roman Catholics.

At San Biagio della Pagnotta in Rome, the feast is celebrated every February 3rd with the blessing of throats and the Soorp Badarak: Video. [telepacearmenia.it]

At Our Lady of the Annunciation Church in Ashrafieh, the feast was celebrated on the Sunday closest to February 3rd:
Link. [armeniancatholic.org]

Here's a bulletin from Our Lady, Queen of Martyrs Armenian Catholic Church in Los Angeles, CA that lists the feast as being on February 3rd: Link. [static.parastorage.com]

AXO Offline
Originally Posted by griego catolico
Here's a bulletin from Our Lady, Queen of Martyrs Armenian Catholic Church in Los Angeles, CA that lists the feast as being on February 3rd: Link. [static.parastorage.com]
The page also lists Ash Wednesday. Why this?

Moderated by  Alice, Fr. Deacon Lance, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.