The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (seven_mansions), 409 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
May 7, 2016

The Holy Father has made the following appointments which are announced today:

Has accepted the resignation of Most Reverend Gerald N. Dino from the pastoral governance of the Holy Protection of Mary Eparchy of Phoenix;

Has appointed as his successor Most Reverend John S Pazak C.S.s.R., bishop of the Eparchy of Sts. Cyril and Methodius, Toronto, Canada; He remains the temporary administrator of the Eparchy of Sts. Cyril and Methodius.

Has accepted the resignation of Most Reverend John M. Kudrick from the pastoral governance of the Eparchy of Parma;

And has appointed Metropolitan Archbishop William C. Skurla Apostolic Administrator
of the Eparchy until a new bishop is appointed.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Additionally, The Holy Father has accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the Eparchy of "St. Peter the Apostle of San Diego" of the Chaldeans, U.S.A., presented by Bishop Sarhad Yawsip Jamma, in accordance with canon 210, para. 1 of the Code of Canons of the Oriental Churches, and appointed Bishop Shlemon Warduni, auxiliary of Baghdad of the Chaldeans, as apostolic administrator sede vacante of the same eparchy.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
May God grant many years in health and joyful retirement to His faithful servants, the High Priests John, Gerald, and Sarhad - three shepherds who will be greatly missed!

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Has accepted the resignation of Most Reverend Gerald N. Dino from the pastoral governance of the Holy Protection of Mary Eparchy of Phoenix;

Has appointed as his successor Most Reverend John S Pazak C.S.s.R., bishop of the Eparchy of Sts. Cyril and Methodius, Toronto, Canada; He remains the temporary administrator of the Eparchy of Sts. Cyril and Methodius.

Many years to our retired Bishop Gerald and our new Bishop John!

D
D
So if I have this straight, Bishop Gerald is being replaced with a bishop from outside of our church?

Is this common?

hawk

So if I have this straight, Bishop Gerald is being replaced with a bishop from outside of our church?

Bishop John was ordained a priest by the former Bishop of Parma, Bishop Emil of blessed memory. I believe the he is bishop of the Ruthenian Church in Canada, though they do go by Slovak Catholics there instead of Byzantines.

Is this common?

Good question. IDK.

OP Offline
I would not call the Slovak Eparchy in Toronto outside our church. They are descended from Mukachevo via Presov and are one with us. Bishop John has been coming to Uniontown for many years.

D
D
I understand that we're both descended from Mukachevo, but we're also a sui juris church; I had thought that bishops generally came from their own churches, unless there were no choices available (OK, now that I put it like that, I understand that there is a near-unanimous disinterest in the episcopacy among our priests . . .)

hawk

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by dochawk
I understand that we're both descended from Mukachevo, but we're also a sui juris church; I had thought that bishops generally came from their own churches, unless there were no choices available ...

The Church, and its laws, are both champion and adherent of traditions but not its slave. Consider that Chrysostom was born in Antioch and a presbyter there before being chosen to be Archbishop of Constantinople. And even today, according to law, at the least ANY Catholic (regardless of particular church membership) eligible for episcopal ordination or already so ordained, can be elected Pope of Rome.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by dochawk
I understand that we're both descended from Mukachevo, but we're also a sui juris church; I had thought that bishops generally came from their own churches, unless there were no choices available (OK, now that I put it like that, I understand that there is a near-unanimous disinterest in the episcopacy among our priests . . .)

hawk
And the boundaries and constituencies of those Sui iuris churches, who drew them, who decided Mukachevo, Presov, Hadudorog, and Krizevci should be separated? Not us. The Slovak Eparchy of Toronto is us, that is the point I am trying to make. I don't care what some Italian Cardinal says or did or wrote in the Pontifical Annual.

L
L
I believe the Slovak Geek Catholics are a very small group. Much smaller than the Ruthenians. Maybe this is the first step to combine the Slovak Greek Catholics with the Ruthenians.

But I would have thought to put Bishop John in Parma. There are many more Eastern European in the Cleveland area. I think it might be a better fit. But what do I know.

In the announcement it did not say Bishop Kundrik retired. It said he resigned. Why the change in words?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Little Green Coat
I believe the Slovak Geek Catholics are a very small group. Much smaller than the Ruthenians. Maybe this is the first step to combine the Slovak Greek Catholics with the Ruthenians.

But I would have thought to put Bishop John in Parma. There are many more Eastern European in the Cleveland area. I think it might be a better fit. But what do I know.

In the announcement it did not say Bishop Kundrik retired. It said he resigned. Why the change in words?
The Slovaks and Rusyns are already combined. The Rusyns in Slovakia are under Presov. The Slovaks in the US are under Pittsburgh.

The canonical term is resignation whether for health, age, or other reason.

H
H
Who are the likely candidates for the Eparchy of Parma? Could priests like Fr Tom Loya or Fr Bryan Eyman be considered?

I spoke to Fr. Bryan about it and he feels he is extremely unlikely as a candidate. I haven't asked Fr. Tom but I only recently met him.

The question I have is this; are there any Parma Priests who are WILLING to be the Bishop?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.