The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline

Excellent interview. There is a transcript for it already, if one doesn't have an hour to spare to listen.

Here is one of the responses from Met. Kallistos on the topic of rebaptism within various Orthodox jurisdictions.

Suppose someone is received by chrismation, and he receives Orthodox sacraments, the holy Communion, for many years. Then he decides he would like to be a monk on Mount Athos. And before they will profess him as a monk, they will rebaptize him. How can we understand this, that someone who has been receiving the Body and Blood of Christ in the Orthodox Church is then told, “You must be baptized”? This is an absurdity and a scandal and should be clarified. If I—I was received by chrismation—if I decided I wanted to be a monk on Athos, they would say, “Very welcome, but you must now be baptized.” And yet, when I go the holy mountain, which I do regularly, I am received with warm hospitality everywhere and invited to celebrate the Divine Liturgy. So we are in a complete confusion here, and we ought to sort this one out.

L
L
Thanks for this link smile

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
So sad; so much money and hope put into it, but just about a week away, and it is unravelling with church after church refusing to go, etc.

One sticking point which rattles the ROC is the fact that this Council reviewed procedures by which an Orthodox Church could obtain autocephaly.

Given the issues in Ukraine and the conflict with the Kyivan Patriarchate, as well as the MP's refusal to grant autocephaly to the UOC-MP etc., it sort of made ecclesial-political sense for the MP to stay away.

However, the absence of the MP, the Georgian and Bulgarian Churches only served to underline the charges of Orthodox detractors re: lack of a central authority figure like the Pope. In any event, the MP sees itself as having greater ecclesial power and therefore leadership potential than the EP. But any change in that regard would require an Ecumenical Council to establish which would be difficult if the MP refused to attend it.

As an EC, I greatly admire His All-Holiness the Ecumenical Patriarch and see him as the first among equals in the Christian East. He is my patriarch too! smile

Alex

A
A
I still don't understand. Is Ukraine's church going to be autocephalous? And would that include the UOC of the USA?

Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
... the charges of Orthodox detractors re: lack of a central authority figure like the Pope.
For those detractors there is a rather obvious answer, Catholicism.

A
A
The only problem with having a pope is that he can say whatever he wants and the media thinks that's what Catholicism is all about. Even if it's off the cuff remarks.

B
B
The only problem with having a pope is that he can say whatever he wants and the media thinks that's what Catholicism is all about. Even if it's off the cuff remarks.

I already have a pope. You want a pope? Take our pope, please! LOL.

A
A
I know. It's like only Protestants like him because he's so modernized.

B
B
I know. It's like only Protestants like him because he's so modernized.

Yep! Being everyone's buddy is a good way to be liked, and it is effective.

Originally Posted by ast82401
Okay, but I don't think "I am tradition" was just an off-the-cuff remark.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.