The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Paderau, Chaplainjosephg66, JamesOrange, elisha, Samuil
5,977 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 221 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,385
Posts416,710
Members5,977
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
OpusRay Offline OP
OP Offline
O
One of my favorite prayers of the Syriac/Antiochene tradition is the prayer said by the Priest as he leaves the altar. Does anyone know why there are different versions of the text if they all derive from the same liturgy, i.e. of Saint James? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks! :-)

MARONITE [heartsarerestless.blogspot.com]
I leave you in peace, O Holy Altar, and I hope to return to you in peace. May the offering I have received from you be for the forgiveness of my faults and the remission of my sins, that I may stand without shame or fear before the throne of Christ. I do not know if I shall be able to return to you again to offer another sacrifice. I leave you in peace.

SYRO-MALANKARA [catholicsandcultures.org]
Remain in peace, Holy altar of the Lord, for I do not know whether I shall return to you or not. May the Lord make me worthy of the vision of you in the assembly of the first-born, in heaven. In this covenant I trust. / Remain in peace, Holy and Atoning Altar. May the Holy Body and the Atoning Blood which I have received from you, be for me the pardon of offenses and the forgiveness of sins and for a confident face before the dread judgment seat of our Lord and our God forever. / Remain in peace, Holy Altar, Table of Life, and beg for me from our Lord Jesus Christ that my remembrance may not cease from you henceforth and forever. Amen.

SYRIAC ORTHODOX [sor.cua.edu]
Remain in peace, O Holy Altar. Remain in peace, O Pardoning Table. / Remain in peace, O Majestic Throne that carries its Master. May the Body and the Blood that I have received from you be for the remission of my offenses, for the forgiveness of my sins and for the everlasting new life, now and forever and ever. Amen.

These prayers were at one time orally handed down and had slight regional variations. The one used in Lebanon might vary from Damascus or Kerala. Regional additions and contractions by local bishops or teaching Malphono were a normal occurance.

I used the Maronite prayer as a personal devotion throughout my final ten years in the Lutheran ministry; not just when leaving the Temple after a Liturgy but any time that I had needed to be at the Sanctuary.

The version I used was just slightly different (regional variation?)

Remain in peace, O altar of God, and I hope to return to you in peace. May the sacrifice which I have offered upon you forgive my sins, help me to avoid my faults, and prepare me to stand blameless before the throne of Christ. I know not whether I will be able to return to you again to offer sacrifice. Guard me, O Lord, and protect Thy Holy Church so that She may remain the Way of Salvation and the Light of the World.

O
OpusRay Offline OP
OP Offline
O
I believe the version of the prayer that you used may have been from the Maronite liturgy, before the most recent English translation.

Moderated by  Alice, Fr. Deacon Lance, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.