The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
I have published the full transcript of my recent interview with Archibishop-major Sviatoslav Shevchuk.
He speaks of the pastoral care of Greek Catholic migrants in Western countries; autonomy regarding Rome; the Patriarchate issue and relations with Russia.
http://actualidadereligiosa.blogspot.pt/2016/10/greek-catholic-migrants-need.html

J
J
Filipe,

Very nice interview. Thanks for sharing. I had not heard that His Beatitude had been to Portugal.

I am of Portuguese descent and visit Portugal on occasion. I have attended the divine liturgy at the Domus Pacis chapel in Fatima twice.

Can you give us an update on this chapel and the Byzantine Catholics that attend there? Are they primarily Ukrainian?

Any data on the number of Byzantine Catholics living in Portugal and where their main centers are outside of Fatima?

John

J
J
Glory to Jesus Christ!
Indeed, thanks for sharing this interview.

The question of what it means to be integrated in a society but not assimilated is a very important one for Eastern Christians living in a society that is not only not Eastern, but is not necessarily Christian or religious in general.

F
OP Offline
F
Hi John Cross, sorry for the late reply, but I hadn't been here for a while!

There are several thousand Byzantine Catholics in Portugal, with the vast, vast majority hailing from Ukraine. The ukrainian diaspora tends to be well spread out, but they have chaplains who serve them from North to South. They use mainly borrowed Latin churches (as do the Orthodox). The Lisbon chapel has daily divine liturgies, as does Fátima and probably Porto. Other places have weekly or regular services. The main chaplain, Fr. Ivan Hudz, told me recently that the community would like to construct their own byz-style church, but there are no immediate plans.

The ukrainian priests also minister to smaller scattered communities of Romanian, Bulgarian and even some Georgian Catholics, according to Fr. Hudz.

Currently there are only two properly byz-style chapels in Portugal. The Domus Pacis chapel in Fátima, still used frequently by the Ukrainian community, and a small chapel which was built by the exiled Queen of Bulgaria and, after her death, moved to the grounds of the Bulgarian embassy. It is lovely, I have visited it, but difficult to reach, obviously...

The Domus Pacis chapel, as I said, still functions, although the Blue Army, which runs it, has been going through some tough times, from what I hear.

Hope this answers your questions!
All the best,
Filipe

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.