The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#417058 06/06/17 01:55 AM
Z
OP Offline
Z
Hello all,

I have some questions about baptism in the Byzantine Churches. Lets say that two married Latin Catholics have found a home in one of the Byzantine Churches and have a child and wish to have the baby baptized in that particular Church. 1) Even though they are Latin can the baby be baptized in that particular Church or is there some sort of permission required from the Latin bishop (I assume that a child can be baptized in any sui juris Church but what do I know )? 2) If allowed, either by permission or if none has to be given, is the baby canonically Latin (even though baptized in that particular Church by the priest of that particular Church) or is the baby canonically part of that particular Church he or she is baptized in? 3) If the child of Latin parents is baptized can the child also be chrismated and receive Holy Communion? 4) Can the Latin bishop give permission for a baby to not only be baptized but also chrismated?

Thanks,

ZP

Short answer: in the Catholic Church, Ecclesial enrollment of a child who is 14 years of age or younger is determined by the ecclesial affiliation of the ,Catholic parent at the time of the minor's baptism.

In the scenario presented, the child is canonically a member of the Latin Church. I don't know of any circumstance in which a Pastor of one of the parishes in the Byzantine tradition would not fully initiate the infant. No episcopal permission is needed.

Last edited by Deacon John Montalvo; 06/06/17 02:24 AM.
Z
OP Offline
Z
Deacon John Montalvo,

Thank you for your answer. So basically, any child of Catholic parents can be baptized at any sui juris Church and the child will be canonically a member of the Church of the parents? How about Chrismation? I know in the Byzantine tradition that when a child is baptized they also receive the other Sacraments of initiation. Would the child of the Latin parents also receive Chrismation and Holy Communion?

Thanks,
ZP

Yes, the infant child of Latin parents who are members of an Eastern Catholic parish of the Byzantine tradition would receive Chrismation and Eucharist (the Precious Blood) at the time of baptism.

I noticed your name and location, are you near Albuquerque?

Z
OP Offline
Z
In Albuquerque actually. About once a month, maybe once every 6 weeks, my wife and I attend Our Lady of Perpetual Help. I love the Divine Liturgy and Eastern spirituality. We are blessed to have a Byzantine Catholic Church in Albuquerque. It allows us to experience the Church in its fullness, both east and west.

I remember when I first even found out about the Eastern Churches. I've been on a journey east ever since (this was about 7 or 8 years ago). I could be a full time Byzantine Catholic. My wife loves the liturgy but does not get the same feelings I do when I'm there. I was an alter boy my whole childhood (Roman Catholic Church of course). There were three things that moved me when I served. First, we would always have that one priest that would chant/sing parts of the Mass for example, "May the Lord be with you," and we would all sing back, "And also with you," (that was before the new translation of course), the consecration, the Our Father and other parts. I loved it and wondered why other priests wouldn't. Second, those priest that would sing/chant certain parts of the Mass would also use incense. I loved it but always wondered by other priest wouldn't (only on Holy Days). Finally, we had a choir growing up that would sing, or at least did their best, to sing some sort of sacred music. I found all three the first time I attended Our Lady of Perpetual Help!

Sorry about the long response. All you asked was if I was near Albuquerque smile

ZP

My spiritual Father, Fr. Brian, was the deacon at OLP for many years. (and served there as a priest for a time before coming to San Diego) The current pastor, Fr. Artur, is a blessing. He has such joy.

Z
OP Offline
Z
Hello,

Thanks for the reply Nelson. Hope to run into you next time I visit for Liturgy.

Moderated by  Alice, Fr. Deacon Lance, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.