The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 375 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

Christ is in our midst!

My wife and I will be travelling to Poland mid-September and we would like to see some Byzantine Churches while we are there. We will be in Bialystok, Lublin, and Krakow.

Any recommendations?

Subdeacon Collin

M
M
Hello Collin

I'm Pole and I lived in Lublin and Krakow. Are you looking for Byzantine Catholic Churches or Ortodox?

Mike

OP Offline
Czesc Mike! Could be both.

M
M
Hello Collin

- Lublin
First thing I would recommend is the Holy Trinity chapel in the Lublin castle.
( For now grin ) You can visit online under the link below :

http://www.vtour.pl/wirtualny-spacer/3060/lublin/kaplica-trojcy-swietej-w-lublinie.html

I know that it is not the church. However the chapel is quite important. Founded by Polish king - Władysław Jagiełło decorated fully by eastern iconography! (1418 A.D.)

Secondly I would recommend The Orthodox Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord - close to the castle. I used to attend the divine liturgy there. You can't miss it.
Worth seeing is also The Greek-Catholic Church of the Nativity of our most holy Virgin Mary. Beautiful, historic and wooden church. Now it is a part of bigger museum complex (but I think there is still service) .

That's just for now. I need to think about Kraków and Białystok. There is a lot to see.
But how much time do you have for each city?

Mike

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Michael1
Hello Collin

- Lublin
First thing I would recommend is the Holy Trinity chapel in the Lublin castle.
( For now grin ) You can visit online under the link below :

http://www.vtour.pl/wirtualny-spacer/3060/lublin/kaplica-trojcy-swietej-w-lublinie.html

I know that it is not the church. However the chapel is quite important. Founded by Polish king - Władysław Jagiełło decorated fully by eastern iconography! (1418 A.D.)

Secondly I would recommend The Orthodox Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord - close to the castle. I used to attend the divine liturgy there. You can't miss it.
Worth seeing is also The Greek-Catholic Church of the Nativity of our most holy Virgin Mary. Beautiful, historic and wooden church. Now it is a part of bigger museum complex (but I think there is still service) .

That's just for now. I need to think about Kraków and Białystok. There is a lot to see.
But how much time do you have for each city?

Mike

Hello Mike,

we definitely know of the chapel in the Castle and we are looking forward to that one. My wife's family is actually from Janow Lubelski but we didn't get enough time to see much of Lublin.

We definitely want to check out the two Churches, Orthodox and Greek Catholic in Lublin. We may have passed the Church in the agricultural museum complex.

We have seen the Orthodox Cathedral in Bialystok and Suprasl Lavra, which used to be the chancery of an Eparchy years ago.

It will all depend on how much time my wife wants to spend with the family.

T
T
Hi Mike. In Krakow there is a Ukrainian Catholic Church just of the rynek. on Ulica Wislna. This Church has an Iconostasis, which was done by Jan Matejko. There is also an Orthodox church on Szpitalna st. off the rynek. Will you be having access to a car? If so. you must go into the Carpathian mts around Gorlice and see the wooden churches. I know that there are Greek Catholic liturgies in Losie. There is an Orthodox Church in Gorlice. There is also a neo Uniate parish in Kostomloty., right on the Polish Ukrainian boarder The Orthodox Church in Poland does have a website in Polish. Wish you the best.

Last edited by theodore perkoski; 09/03/17 03:03 PM. Reason: wanted to add some more information

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.