The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (San Nicolas), 314 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Fr. Al Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Does anyone here know anything about this church? I grew up in South Dorset, VT, not so far away. We once went to a Paschal Liturgy there. I honestly can't remember anything as I was maybe 8 years old. My father was under the impression that it was a Russian Orthodox Church until he heard the Pope being commemorated. As I said, I can't remember a thing; plus in those days, I knew nothing in any Slavic language.
Some years later, about 1998, I was on my way to Vermont from Jordanville, NY. I stopped in to see the church. There was a Fr. Stockert there at the time. It seemed then that the parish was dying. Fr. Stockert said that there had been many Slovaks and Rusyns who had worked in the slate quarries. I wonder if anyone out there remembers this church and it's community.

A
A
From my quick google search, it appears to be a byzantine catholic church. No website or facebook page.

F
Fr. Al Offline OP
OP Offline
F
It IS a Byzantine Catholic Church. Fr. Stockert told me twenty years ago that membership was declining. But there must be at least some descendants of the members out there who have some information.

A
A
I assume it's still up and running considering the Eparchy lists the church on their website.

F
Fr. Al Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Yes, but probably serviced by visiting priest(s), just like a lot of our old OCA parishes here in Western PA. My dean serves two parishes. Also, a nearby Ukrainian Orthodox priest serves two parishes and he's 84!

A
A
The website listed a parish priest but it's probably just an administrator. You could try emailing him.

Father Al:

Father bless!!

Sts Peter and Paul in Granville lists an Administrator, Father Hospodar, who seems to have many duties in the Passaic eparchy. I can't seem to find his regular parish or how close it is to Granville. The parish website says NO WEEKLY LITURGICAL SERVICES SCHEDULED. I would assume that means no Sunday Divine Liturgy, too.

Bob

F
Fr. Al Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Yes, that's what I would imagine. As I said, many of our OCA parishes in Western PA are in a similar situation. Some have liturgy every other Sunday, some one Sunday a month.
It's likely that the descendants of Sts. Peter and Paul founders have largely moved away. Maybe they go to Latin Rite parishes, if anywhere at all.

Father Al:

Father bless!!

What's confusing is that the Catholic Directory--of all parishes and institutions in the United States--lists a "St Peter and Paul Church" in Granville, but on checking it one finds that it is a Latin parish. The only listing for the Ruthenian parish is on the Passaic eparchy website list of parishes.

Bob

L
L
Father Hospodar is pastor of St Mary's in NYC. I am sure he does not have any services in Granville.

F
Fr. Al Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I am aware of that. I don't believe enough people are left to justify services, sadly.
But there have to be some descendents of the founders out there. It may be a closed chapter in Carpatho-Rusyn America, but I would be interested in learning about the peoples who made up that church.
Did they consider themselves Slovaks, Russians, Rusyns , or what?
Mr. Prehoda was the man from whom my father bought slate and who told him about the church. Dad said that Mr. Prehoda spoke "pretty good Russian." I imagine if he had spoken Slovak, especially the Eastern variety, my father would not have understood.

D
D

F
Fr. Al Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I've seen that site. In fact, I've visited the museum and become a member. Still, I have yet to hear from anyone directly associated with the parish. My guess is that the grandchildren and great-grandchildren have moved away or fallen away. Its similar here in Western PA; Orthodox, Greek Catholic, and Roman Catholic churches report similar experiences. An OCA parish in Dixonville is now a private home or apartments, I don't remember which. The parish closed, but the nearby Ukrainian Orthodox church is still functioning. A Byzantine Catholic church in Coal Run is now a private home, but one can clearly see that it used to be an Eastern church. After the congregation here in Black Lick moved into the new church building in 1980, the old church was torn down in 1982. We survive, but in much smaller numbers than in 1980.

A
Hi!
Hi!
A
I know this is an old thread, but Granville caught my eye. My Irish Great Grandfather worked in the mines there and that is where my Grandmother grew up. I did not learn until much much later in life that one of her brothers married a Ukranian, and I suspect that was the parish that she could have been from. I am fuzzy on the details, because of generation time and that being a different branch of the family. I think at least one of their children was married at a Byzantine parish. As far as I know, no one closely related to me still lives in Granville, just like most of my relatives left Dolgeville. My Dad and all his brothers went on to have careers that they could not have locally. I grew up about 4-5 hours away.

1 member likes this: OEFNavyVet
Father Al:

Father bless!!

There used to be an OCA parish in Ganister--near Williamsburg, PA--that was sold in the past couple years. As far as I know it had dwindled to just a couple members who now travel to Altoona, PA, for Divine Liturgy.

I live in Wilton, not too far from Granville. I wonder if that parish still exists because I would like to stop in and see it when the Coronavirus restrictions are lifted and cleared. If anybody has any information on the current status, please let me know.

Wishing All a Blessed Palm Sunday, Holy Week and Pascha (Gregorian, Revised Julian and Julian Calendars),

Three Cents

It's on Google Street view. It says SS Peter and Paul and has a Slavic cross on top. The rest of the sign is missing.

Here is the URL:
Google Street View [google.com]

Here is information on Eparchy website:SS Peter and Paul [eparchyofpassaic.com]

We should volunteer to make them a website?

Last edited by Ray S.; 04/05/20 03:12 AM.
F
Fr. Al Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I haven't checked back here in a while. I'm still hoping someone with a connection to that church will check in here. Not at all related, but there was a Finnish Orthodox mission in Upper Michigan from the 50's to about 1965. I've found even less information about that mission; in fact, nothing. It belonged to Bishop Bohdan of the Ukrainian Orthodox diocese, which was part of the EP.

F
Fr. Al Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I haven't checked back here in a while. I'm still hoping someone with a connection to that church will check in here. Not at all related, but there was a Finnish Orthodox mission in Upper Michigan from the 50's to about 1965. I've found even less information about that mission; in fact, nothing. It belonged to Bishop Bohdan of the Ukrainian Orthodox diocese, which was part of the EP.

F
Fr. Al Offline OP
OP Offline
F

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by theophan
What's confusing is that the Catholic Directory--of all parishes and institutions in the United States--lists a "St Peter and Paul Church" in Granville, but on checking it one finds that it is a Latin parish. The only listing for the Ruthenian parish is on the Passaic eparchy website list of parishes.

Bob

Bob,

I'm guessing that, in speaking of the 'Catholic Directory', you are referring to the online site by that name, It is not an online version of the 'Official Catholic Directory', the voluminous and authoritative tome published annually. rather, it is like MassTimes and other sites of that ilk, specific listings on which are not always accurate. There is no Latin Rite parish in Granville by that name, only the Byzantine temple which is still being carried on the eparchial rolls, for what reason, I cannot guess, but which is clearly pastorally unserved.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Christ is in our midst!!

Neil,

When I referred to "The Catholic Directory," I meant that cumbersome book. Maybe I misread the entry.

Bob

F
Fr. Al Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I'm surprised that in all this time, nobody has come forward to claim any knowledge of, or connection with this church. Some internet research indicates that the present mayor of Granville, Paul Labas, is a native son of the parish. In fact, his late father and brother were cantors in the parish. Perhaps he, like any remaining survivors, goes elsewhere out of neccesity. It would seem that somewhere they must be at least some descendants of the parishoners. Maybe someone reading this might know of someone?

Father Al, bless,

It's good to hear form you. I hope you are having a spiritually fruitful Great Lent.

Bob

N
Neo Offline
N
Dear Father Al,

I was baptized in the church (and my sisters), and attended Sunday mass for the first 15 or so of my years. My grandparents were Slavic and lived in Granville, and I know the people you've mentioned on this thread. I suspect the reason no one has replied is that the church closed as everyone "aged-out" and no young people really attended (I attended sporadically into the 1990's, or possibly later, but not much more). My memories are of wonderful singing/cantoring(?), incense, Father Hal not being the most social, and early morning Easter mass when everyone would bring baskets of home-prepared foods to be blessed, followed by the entire church following Father Hal slowly around the church (outside, in the cold). I probably have a video somewhere of a service (probably VHS?). If you check the local newspaper archives (The Granville Sentinel), there may be articles by Helen (?) Macura, who attended and wrote local human interest and historical articles (she must be well into her 90's, now).

N
Neo Offline
N
Also, the church was opened in the last decade just for a few funerals (just opened for that day). I have some relatives who may have more specific information about the church.

F
Fr. Al Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thank you for the information! To clarify, my dad took us to that church for Easter circa 1960. That was my first experience in any Eastern church. My mother had taken us to Protestant services closer to home. I honestly cannot remember a thing. Dad had thought that it was a "Russian" church. Neither of my parents had me baptized in their respective churches.
My own baptism was at St. Nicholas OCA church in Pittsfield, MA at age 18. Funny story, I couldn't speak Russian at the time. I later learned Russian, along with Ukrainian and Slovak. Fr. Jozef had come from Slovakia a year or so earlier. I thought he spoke Russian well; later found out that he came here speaking only Slovak and po-nasomu. He was learning Russian as well, but the knowledge of his native tongues put him ahead of me!
Fr. Jozef reposed two years ago. His daughter sent me his gold cross, which I wear over my cassock and sometimes when serving. I was blessed to concelebrate for his funeral. Vicnaja jemu pamjat'!

F
Fr. Al Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I couldn't PM Neo because the mailbox was full. It seems that Sts. Peter and Paul is permanently closed.

Christ is in our midst!!

Father Al,

Neo seems to be a new poster who does not yet have pm privileges.

Bob

John
John
I upgraded Neo to full membership so that he can PM.

F
Fr. Al Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I check back in every once in a while. It appears the church is permanently closed. I was there in 1998. Fr. Hal was still there.

A
A
Certainly wasn't part of the original conversation, but, thank you Fr. Al for checking!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.