The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dochawk Offline OP
OP Offline
D
For those who haven't heard, Catholic Answers Forum will end on dec 31.

Apparently, they were spending the better part of $100k a year on it!

They've decided the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Some fraction of them will find their way here; I've been asked a few times.

Can’t say I am sad to see them go. They censored people who questioned Latin presuppositions. They purged Orthodox and Eastern Catholic members who called them out a long time ago. The questions now are pretty banal and usually Latins asking if Eastern things are allowed.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
3 members like this: AlNg, Athanasius The L, ELK7
AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
Good riddance.

D
dochawk Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I left in disgust several times for those reason.

When they switched their system over, the changes in moderation made a *world* of difference.

The anti-EC and anti-OE behavior both led to not only removal of posts, but suspensions and bans.

Online Content
Christ is in our midst!!

So they weren't really "Catholic" after all or didn't really know what the word meant or had no knowledge of the history of the Church or had never heard of Vatican 2 or a combination of these. Too bad they didn't refer to the volumes of the Catholic Encyclopedia that at least had extensive references to the Eastern Churches, their history, their liturgy, their theology. It won't get any better either until the people who put together catechetical materials get educated. The last religious education class I taught had a historical timeline for the Church. I was upset that it began about 1100 AD. cry crazy

Bob

D
dochawk Offline OP
OP Offline
D
yeah, *those* things.

It must be hard being more catholic than the pope, and understanding things that he doesn't . . .

eek

Online Content
Makes one weary at times.

The demise of CAF? And I thought 2020 was going to be a complete write-off . . .

John
John
I expect that, even though Catholic Answers were not very knowledgeable of or friendly towards Eastern Christians, they did much good in leading people to the Lord. Let's wish our brothers there well and bless them with our prayers.

Agreed, Sir! Perhaps the CAF weakness with respect to knowledge about Eastern Christianity is something people on this Forum could have strengthened?

Online Content
Christ is in our midst!!

Alex,

It's good to see you. The problem is that one cannot strengthen anything when one is not welcome.

Bob

1 member likes this: Athanasius The L
CAF had no tolerance for any deviation from their party line. If it didn’t agree with their view of things it wasn’t allowed. They banned a bunch of Orthodox and Eastern Catholic members at one point and after that really wasn’t worth participating in.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
2 members like this: AlNg, Athanasius The L
D
dochawk Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Agreed, Sir! Perhaps the CAF weakness with respect to knowledge about Eastern Christianity is something people on this Forum could have strengthened?

I tried.

Well, after the newer moderation system. Before that I'd always leave in disgust rather quickly.

By the end of this iteration, I was getting invoked for comment fairly often. An most of what I replied was what I learned here . . .'

Well, members on CAF referred to me as an heretic. I wouldn't tolerate that and was offended. Being of the Eastern Church, you would think that they would at least refer to me by the Western tried and true "schismatic!" And, yes, I got that appellation after relating things that I also learned on this Forum . . .

1 member likes this: AlNg
I
I
I admit, part of me is sad to see them go. I started using it in my very early teenage years and the forum was a place where I could learn anything I wanted about Catholicism--even where I learned about the Eastern Catholic churches. I credit the forum as a big force in what helped me grow into the Catholic adult I am today because of the knowledge base and fellowship it provided, but it was a love-hate relationship. I stopped using it through my 20s until now.

Huh. Strange feeling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.