The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#421657 10/17/21 07:58 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hello,
I wish to ask your prayers for a few things related to my upcoming marriage.
1) Everything goes smoothly logistically
2) That my fiance and I will have a fruitful marriage pleasing to God
3) Most of the guests will never have attending a Byzantine Marriage Ceremony. So I am a little apprehensive about the guests responses. I fear it may be strange and off putting to some. But I hope (and with the help of your prayers) that the ceremony might be an illuminating experiencing along with being a source of grace and consolation for all who are in attendance.

Any prayers you can make will be greatly appreciated!
God Bless,
Devin

Christ is in our midst!!

Devin,

May I suggest that you have your priest provide a little introduction in the program you will give your guests as they enter the temple so that they may have a little idea of what they are experiencing. Even people who are married in Western ceremonies find that there may be many guests who are unchurched and have no idea what the ceremony is about. You might also put in some etiquette tips for those who have never been in an Eastern Catholic or Orthodox church.

I say this because I was a guest at a Latin Catholic wedding in my own parish and witnessed a man walking in and down the main aisle smoking a cigarette. He didn't know there was no smoking in church. (Never saw our pastor run someone down as fast as that time.)

Bob

There are many fine "boilerplate" explanations of the Byzantine/Orthodox Sacrament of Matrimony available that most definitely should be included in the Wedding bulletin/folder/program.

In my GOA parish my Priest always begins a "mixed" Marriage with a few words of explanation about what will happen, including that unlike in a Western rite the couple are entirely silent and ministered unto; quite the contrary to Western understanding that the couple minister the Sacrament to each other with the Priest as the primary witness.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Prayers for Devin's intentions and requests. May your marriage be blessed and fruitful!

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
D
OP Offline
D
Thank you for the responses. We are planning to have a program available. We are fortunate that with a small wedding, most or all of the guests are either practicing Christians of some type (Catholic or Protestant) or others have been exposed substantially to a Church environment. So they should be on their best behavior. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.