The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
https://risu.ua/en/ecumenical-patri...which-stopped-remembering-kirill_n127129

As a result of the Moscow patriarch's refusal to condemn Putin's war on Ukraine, I understand that fifteen eparchies of the ukrainian Orthodox Church that used to commemorate the Moscow Patriarchate, are no longer doing so. His All Holiness the Ecumenical Patriarch of New Rome will receive them ... Here is the story.

3 members like this: Irish Melkite, Veronica.H, Fr. Deacon Lance
G
G
Hi, Alex!

Orthodox News on Twitter [twitter.com]has tweeted that the number of UOC-MP eparchies not commemorating Patriarch Kirill is now at 19.

It has also reported that the Pochayiv Lavra has stopped commemorating him as well.

MPPMP
griego catolico,

I see from your link that the EP's OCU has developed rules for receiving the MP affiliated parishes and dioceses into their structure. Should be interesting going forward. Also see that Patriarch Kirill has snubbed a Ukrainian bishop on his name day because his diocese has stopped commemorating him at the Liturgy.

I wonder if the Ukrainian Orthodox will be reconciled into one Church with this war being supported by the MP. The sticking point may be, however, the canonical status of bishops and clergy already in that structure. Time will tell.

OP Offline
Dear Friends,

Since the Pope is truly the most respected Church leader in Ukraine, a majority Orthodox country, why shouldn't the entire Ukrainian people be united within the Ukrainian Catholic Church?

When I suggested this as a possibility, an Orthodox priest whom I have known as a friend from before his ordination became very angry with me and gave me a lecture on courtesy saying that what I saidis a "provocation"and that if I cannot say something "nice",I should remain quiet. He also said the consecration of Russia and Ukraine to the Immaculate Heart of the Mother of God (this Friday by His Holiness the Pope) is an "aberration." I told him that what is a real aberration is the Moscow Patriarch supporting Putin's war crimes against the people of Ukraine. Orthodox priests have told me that their bishops have said the patriarch of Moscow is self-excommunicated as a result - much like what occurred with patriarch Sergius of Moscow re: Sergianism.

What do you think?

1 member likes this: Adamcsc
G
G
Alex,

Good to hear from you and thank you for your reply!

It is now being reported that ROCOR is allowing its parishes to cease commemorating Patriarch Kirill if they wish: link. [orthodoxyindialogue.com]

As for your Orthodox priest friend saying it is an "aberration" for the Pope to consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of the Mother of God, I would have replied back that what truly is an aberration is Patriarch Kirill's gift of a copy of the Augustovskaya icon to the Russian military for their "victory" in Ukraine. Would the Mother of God approve Her icon being given as permission to slaughter civilians, including children?! Link. [orthodoxtimes.com]

Kirill has lost it in my book.

OP Offline
Dear Griego Amigo!

It is lovely to converse with you again!

I did tell my (former) friend words to that effect - I did not know about the icon . . . Very sad and blasphemous.

Also, I am informed there have been two attempts on Patriarch Svyatoslav's life this week so far.

And the Polish Catholic priests and nuns who are in Ukraine - God bless the Polish Church and People - have applied to their Superiors in Poland to ask for permission to remain in Ukraine, even at the risk of martyrdom. Permission has been granted in all cases.

My former friend got exercised when I suggested that all of Ukraine may join the Catholic Church (he termed it a "provocation" on my part). The fact is that Pope Francis is the most popular religious figure in Ukraine among ALL Ukrainians today. In a month since this war began (sorry, Special Military Operation - to decimate Ukrainians), so many UOC eparchies have stopped commemorating the patriarch of Moscow (who some say is self-excomunicated). A delegation of UOC clerics have approached His All-Holiness the Ecumenical Patriarch to ask for his blessing to commemorate him - and this has been granted. They may either join with the Orthodox Church in Ukraine or simply begin commemorating him - no additional paperwork required!

Christ is in our midst!!

Alex,

So good to hear from you again after a long period of time.

Will the UOC under Metropolitan Onufrey (sp?) apply to the EP for its chrism going forward?

D
D
It was my understanding that parishes in EO commemorated only the bishop, who in turn commemorated the metropolitan, etc.

Apparently I was wrong about this.

So at what point are the other hierarchs commemorated?

OP Offline
Hello Bob -long time no speak!

The UOC-MP is basically falling apart with some eparchies ceasing to commemorate the MP while others have approached the EP for his blessing to commemorate him. Metropolitan Onufry is, truth be told, entirely Kiril's creature. He is from Bukovina (Onuphry Berezowsky) but was raised in Russia throughout his life - a true Janissary, as they say. He is blindly loyal to Kiril and when he receives letters from the EP, he has said he just throws them into the waste paper basket. When Putin attacked Ukraine, with Kiril's blessing, Met. Onufry sent out a missive calling on the presidents of BOTH nations as if they were having a minor disagreement like a pair of unruly bad boys . . . Now he has a video where he affirms "My brothers and sisters, Russia has attacked ukraine and I call on Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin etc..." He has lost control of his church, appears isolated and alone. Many Ukrainian priests are speaking out against Kiril saying that they thought he was their 'father' but, as one said, "you are worse than a step-father! I refuse to commemorate you or have anything further to do with you!" The priests and bishops will doubtless turn to Onufry as to their "second father" and we shall have to see what Onufry does. If he agrees to bless them not to commemorate Kiril, he will be deemed to be excommunicated by the MP. If he doesn't, he may have to return to Russia before he is ousted by his own people who are suffering, dying and feel betrayed by their "neighbour" and the patriarchate they were formerly so very loyal to. Onufry won't change his allegiance to Kiril. He is so unlike his predecessor, Metropolitan Volodymyr of blessed memory who was widely respected by all churches in Ukraine, including the UGCC. Onufry is, after all, the MP's hand-picked successor to Met. Volodymyr.

Orthodoxy is in a terrible crisis right now brought about by Kiril who is a robed religious rubber stamp for Putin and his blasphemous war crimes.

Alex

R
R
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
Orthodoxy is in a terrible crisis right now [...]

Orthodoxy wasn't in great shape before Russia's full blown invasion.
At least now, no excuses for not seeing who has the white hats and who has the black...

I can't quite understand why the hierarchy of the Polish OC hasn't been run out of the country by now.

Christ is in our midst!!

Alex,

The very sad thing is that it is ordinary believers like your parish and you, my parish and me that suffer when those up the ladder fail to stand out against evil. It's the people whose apartment building is shattered and becomes unlivable in winter who suffer. It's the simple believer who wonders if all this attending the DL and listening to sermons is all a bunch of bunk because their bishop fails to take a strong stand. It's even worse when the bishops, themselves, take opposing stands on matters and events.

I am praying for all the people of Ukraine, especially those who have lost loved ones and those who have decided that fleeing their homeland is the only solution.

May the men who wear miters remember the Lord's warning about "causing one of these little ones to fall."

B
B
Where did all these folks get the idea the western Catholic Church is in such great shape? It is beset with problems left and right.

1 member likes this: KostaC
OP Offline
Dear Dochawk,

In the Orthodox Church in Ukraine, the EP is commemorated once during the Ektenia of Peace and again at the Great Entrance.

When ROCOR joined with the MP, they began commemorating the MP at every Ektenia, like the Ukrainian Catholics.

The ROCOR was so adamantly against the Moscow patriarchate re: Sergianism.

Kirill makes Sergius look like a saint . . .

Christ is in our midst!!

byzanTN,

I think you missed part of what I left veiled--maybe too much so. The Catholic Church in the United States suffers a similar thing. Our bishops cannot seem to take a stand against politicians and other public figures who call themselves Catholic, publicly espouse positions at odds with Church teaching, and publicly dare to receive the Eucharist. Do you remember when we were promised a "teaching document" to bring clarity to the issue and it never materialized because they could not come together enough to get it done?

We're in similar boat, but nowhere near the intensity of our brethren in Ukraine.

Last edited by theophan; 07/04/22 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling "dare"
OP Offline
Dearest Charles,

The West has its problems, yes. I've yet to see the Pope or any Western prelate bless mass murderers with religious icons or otherwise support genocidal warfare as the "Moscow Patriarch" continues to do.

Have you?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.