The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#422062 03/18/22 04:33 AM
V
OP Offline
V
I used to think I was called to be a nun. In my twenties, I visited monasteries and was invited to begin my postulancy. Unfortunately, my student loans were an impediment to entering.

As of this summer, my student loans will be finally be paid off. At 38, I am now too old to enter any monastery I have encountered so far.

I live a simple life of prayer and penance, and am a bit of a recluse. Sometimes I wish I could simply go off into the forest and build a little cabin and pray, leaving only for the Sacraments.

I knew some people who tried something like that, but the priest who was staying there left and it fell apart as far as I know.

Do you think that sort of thing is practical in the modern world?

K
K
Originally Posted by Veronica.H
Do you think that sort of thing is practical in the modern world?
I don't know If it is practical, but it sure is possible. Just follow your call.

You might try contacting:

http://www.christthebridegroom.org/

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
V
OP Offline
V
Practical was probably the wrong word for that life!

V
OP Offline
V
Thank you, Father Deacon Lance.

What a beautiful community! I am a few years older than their maximum cut off, but I wrote them explaining my situation.

K
K
I used to think I was called to be a nun. In my twenties, I visited monasteries and was invited to begin my postulancy. Unfortunately, my student loans were an impediment to entering.

As of this summer, my student loans will be finally be paid off. At 38, I am now too old to enter any monastery I have encountered so far.
Well, at least latin monasteries and congregations prefer youngish candidates for postulancy. In EO monasteries the doors have been open for the older candidates, too. So I think the eastern catholic communities should be more open for also more mature candidates for postulancy.

V
OP Offline
V
I had it explained to me by a Dominican nun once that they preferred young women, because the young are easier to form. There is likely some truth to that.

The same nuns suggested I drop out of university and begin paying my student loans back, trusting in God's providence. I cringe to think how long *that* would have taken, although I sometimes regret not trying.

I wonder how many Latin women end up in my position because they didn't feel a call until they were in university.

The trouble with Eastern monasteries, I have found, is finding them. There don't seem to be any Catholic options in my country, beyond the Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate - who do good work, I am sure, but aren't nuns.

I am told that on Mount Athos, as well as in other parts of Greek and Russia at least, there are hermits who live alone off in the middle of nowhere. On Mt Athos, supposedly these hermits live in mountainous caves on the southern part, and a nearby monastery gives them a basket full of basic necessities as needed by pulley. One day when the basket does not come back down, they go up and haul the deceased back down.

Living a solitary life in civilization would require the basic things required in most (but maybe not all) hermitages: prayer and work (presumably some kind of paying job, to pay your taxes, buy seeds and the like, upkeep your dwelling, etc.). If you spent your free time in solitary prayer and the psalms in such a situation it might be similar to the hermitic life.

Anyway, such a thing is a matter of what God calls you to do, generally through spiritual elders. I will pray, Veronica, that He will lead you where you are meant to be.

V
OP Offline
V
Where I live, it isn't so difficult to escape civilization. Although wild and lonely places get more hard to find every year. It is certainly possible, albeit difficult, to build that sort of life.

It is a serious decision, to be sure.

Alas, I am rather adrift these days between the lost of our priest and the pending closure of our church.

Thank you kindly for your prayers. They are very much appreciated.

D
D
Veronica,
I will say a prayer for your situation. Hopefully Christ the Bridegroom will pan out. I am posting a link for Fund for Vocations.
https://fundforvocations.org/about-us/mission-history

I am sure many members of the forum are aware of it, but just in case, it is a non-profit that helps men and women wanting to fulfill a priestly or religious
vocation but are unable to do so because of student debt. If this organization had existed earlier, perhaps our monasteries would be a little fuller and the priestly vocation crisis wouldn't be as severe.

V
OP Offline
V
What a wonderful resource! It truly is a shame it wasn't around sooner.

Thank you for your prayers. It means a lot.

Where I live, it isn't so difficult to escape civilization.

Ha! I looked up Kirkland Lake, and it definitely seems so. Six hours north of Toronto.........

Alas, I am rather adrift these days between the lost of our priest and the pending closure of our church.

Thank you kindly for your prayers. They are very much appreciated.

You are quite welcome. I wish your situation was better. In the meantime, you probably are already aware of this, but St Elias in Brampton is famous for being one of the stars among Catholic parishes. Going to it's livestream might be helpful.

St Elias' apparent Livestream [youtube.com]

Last edited by MarkosC; 03/28/22 01:17 AM.
V
OP Offline
V
Yes, we are a long way from the nearest city and there are tons of unincorporated townships around here. I know people who live off the grid, and survive by selling honey and wild mushrooms and other things like that.

Thanks for the link! I have heard of St. Elias' and would so love to visit one day.

J
J
I know an order that allows women up to i think 45 to join, but its a western group, but the vocations director isn't

V
OP Offline
V
What order is that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.