The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
As stated above i would enjoy the help in establishing a new prayer rule

1 member likes this: OEFNavyVet
Christ is in our midst!!

JohnFromRuthenia,

The best advice I ever was given is to set up a simple rule when you begin. By simple, I mean one that is something that you can maintain--not overly long, but one that you can adhere to over time. Ten minutes in the morning and ten minutes in the evening, for example.

I was told to use a prayerbook. The regular prayers for morning and evening, gain with the emphasis being to select a few that you pray regularly and unhurriedly. This last is very important. A rush to pray a large number of prayers is less important than praying one or two slowly, carefully, and with as much full concentration as you can muster.

Work the whole process out with your pastor or spiritual father. Report to him regularly about your progress.

Remember what the Desert Fathers say about prayer. The most difficult thing you will do this side of Heaven is to pray. The is nothing that the Enemy works harder at than to break up a pure prayer offered to God.

Remember, too, what St.Isaac the Syrian says about any endeavor. God asks of us only our determination. It is He who grants grace and success.

I always remember what I was told many years ago: God blesses the struggle.

Bob

1 member likes this: OEFNavyVet
This simple rule from this very site maybe useful.

https://www.byzcath.org/index.php/resources/faith-worship/a-rule-of-prayer

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Many visitors of the elder St Seraphim of Sarov faulted themselves for praying very little, that they did not read even the morning and evening prayers.

St. Seraphim established for such people the following easily accomplished rule:

"Upon rising from sleep, let each Christian, standing before the holy icons, read the prayer "Our Father" thrice, in honor of the Most Holy Trinity. Then the song of the Mother of God: "Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos Mary, full of grace…" also thrice. In conclusion the Creed: "I believe…" — once. Completing such a rule, let each Orthodox engage in his duties, to which he is assigned or called. During his work at home or along the way anywhere he should quietly read "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy upon me, a sinner," but if others surround him, then, while busy with his duties, let him only say in his mind "Lord, have mercy," — and thus until lunch. Right before lunch let him repeat the morning rule. After lunch, busy with his work, let every Christian read just as quietly: "Most Holy Mother of God, save me, a sinner." When preparing for sleep, let every Christian again read the morning rule, i.e., "Our Father" thrice, "Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos Mary" thrice and once "I believe."

St. Seraphim explained that, keeping to this small "rule," one can attain a measure of Christian perfection, because these three prayers — are the foundation of Christianity. The first, as the prayer given by the Lord Himself, is the pattern for all prayers. The second is brought from Heaven by the Archangel upon greeting the Mother of God. The Creed contains in itself all the salutary dogmas of the Christian faith.

In addition the elder counseled reading the Jesus prayer during activities, while walking, even in bed, and as confirmation used the following words from the letters to the Romans: "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Rom. 10: 13). For those who have time, the elder suggested reading the Gospel, canons, akathists, psalms.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Christ is in our midst!!

Father Deacon Lance,

Thank you for finding the link above. It was very useful to me as a review.

Bob

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.